Do the rubber break lines need to be replaced? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Do the rubber break lines need to be replaced?

Light up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 02-04-2013, 09:01 PM   #1
1983 CJ7 

Do the rubber break lines need to be replaced?

How often does the manufacture/ you all,recommend, if ever replacing the rubber portion of the break lines? Any rule of thumb you folks have heard?

Also how often do you change transfer case and differential oils and lastly how about shocks? Just curious if there is any consencious.

Thanks! Joe

198839 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2013, 09:43 PM   #2
wellmax
1984 CJ7 

the rubber brake lines can break down inside, if you ever owned an old chevy truck around 1977 models, they were bad about rubber brake lines going bad.

You could force the fluid to the brake wheel cylinders. but the rubber line had broken down inside the line and would not let the fluid flow back to the master cylinder, so the wheel would lock up or drag and pull the truck to the side of the bad rubber brake line.

changing trans and transfer case oil is just good maintenance,

do the jump on the corner bumper test for shock condition,

as most old jeeps wonder all over the road anyway, so it's hard to tell if they are darting off course because of bad shocks or wornout front end parts.

just try to keep them between the ditches and you will be golden.
wellmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2013, 11:27 PM   #3
hutch1200
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

If that 30 Y.O. rubber is stock, I wouldn't replace it until TOMMORROW!
SERIOUSLY THOUGH, iNSPECTING THE OUTSIDE FOR CRACKS MIGHT NOT TELL THE WHOLE STORY as wellmax says . Oops, sorry for caps lock..d'oh!
Unread 02-05-2013, 12:37 AM   #4
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Brake Lines - I inspect them every 6 months and first sign of cracking they get changed. I accept the outside cracking is not the full story but cracking is the first thing I see.

How often you change lube depends on how you use the Jeep.

ENGINE OIL/FILTER - every 3000 miles (6,000 miles on highway) or when oil becomes dark/with fuel smell or 12 months in cold climate, 6 months in hot. I do not use synthetic oil, it will be changed before I see the benefit. Now, if it was my XJ Cherokee DD it would be synthetic and every 6 months as it drags its way through tropical traffic every day. I have seen plenty of vehicles here where they change the oil but not the filter, lazy heathen.
BALL JOINTS (GREASE) - 3000 miles upper, 1000 lower if you drive it a lot. When you do uppers also check/repack front bearings.
CROSSJOINTS and OTHER CHASSIS. every 3 months. Leave it and you will regret it.
AIR FILTER - 15000 miles -- K&N clean and oil as necessary. I tend to take them out and have a look every 6 months, if filthy they get replaced.
REAR GEAR OIL - 10,000 miles or 6 months. Again it depends on how you use the Jeep. If you do trails and water then 6 months is about right IF the breather is correctly fitted. You may find that water gets in otherwise and I would not leave it 6 months. If all the Jeep does is highways and sits there then easily 2 years.
FRONT DIFF- every oil change especially if you have low gears/locker. If not and it is a highway queen then 2 years.
TRANSMISSION OIL - 20000 miles or once a year if used on trails, If used on highway then 2 years.
AUTO TRANS FLUID. I tend to hav ebad luck with auto fluid so I change every 2 years.
TRANSFER CASE - 20000 miles or once a year, if used on highway then 2 years.
COOLANT - 30000 miles, but I change no more than every 2 years.
SPARK PLUGS/WIRES/DIST CAP/ROTOR - 30000 miles or as needed. I find the spark plugs last 2 years, the rest depends on quality. At every oil change, pull plugs and check wires for resistance, cap and rotor for carbon/burning.
SHOCK ABSORBERS - hardly ever but they shoud be changed every 50,000 mile son a road vehicle as they lose the ability to track the road surface at speed.

I use ordinary mineral based oils and lubes, nothing fancy but a reputable brand as it is less expensive than fancy stuff and I want to change it from time to time. For chassis lube I use some ordinary chassi grease, same for wheel bearings. With greasing it is more important to regularly grease than what brand it is.

Same with the oil filter, a medium cost reputable brand and change it often.

Batteries here last about 2 years. The Cherokee gets an electrolyte check every month, the CJs about two months. The Cherokee gets very hot and the water evaporates relatively quickly out of the battery.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2013, 08:58 AM   #5
1983 CJ7 

Thanks guys.

The Jeep sat most of the time the past several years. It's not a daily or even weekly/monthly driver. I've owned almost since it was almost new and have recently taken interest in it again. Ive changed the engine oil regularly but that's it. I guess from what I've read here it needs everything, even shocks since I put the last set on while in the navy over 20 years ago.... Now with wife,kids dog and cat the jeep hasn't felt the love in quite a while I ashamed to say. My boys are now big enough to do some off roading with so I'm going to get to it.
198839 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.