Do lift YJ springs yield more or less lift than CJ lift springs? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Do lift YJ springs yield more or less lift than CJ lift springs?

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-27-2013, 04:38 PM   #1
CJ7KAHUNA

1985 CJ7 

Do YJ lift springs yield more or less lift than CJ lift springs?

Some day in the not too distant future I want to replace my 4" lift springs with YJ lift springs. Does anyone know if the YJ lift springs yield the same amount of lift as CJ lift springs? or is it more or less?

CJ7KAHUNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2013, 05:56 PM   #2
spottedfrog
1979 CJ5 

I have asked this before. No one seems to be able to give a straight answer.
My gut says that they will provide less. reason being that they are flatter, and the shackles are longer. SO I would think that you would need longer shackles that YJ stock to achieve the same lift. Again my guy says that it MIGHT be a 1/2" difference.

But I don't REALLY know. Only a hypothesis.
spottedfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2013, 06:16 PM   #3
CSP

One would have to compare a CJ spring and YJ spring of the same brand and advertised lift on the same CJ to really know that answer.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2013, 06:34 PM   #4
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

I replaced my stock CJ springs with stock YJ springs. Can't tell any difference in ride height judging by the drag ling and tie rod (they are still perfectly parallel as they were before).
Unread 04-27-2013, 06:42 PM   #5
spottedfrog
1979 CJ5 

skizriz, Did you use the stock YJ shackles? or conversion ones. did you use a conversion hanger?
I'm curious what the total height gained from the SHACKLE set up is. THAT will tell us how much "flatter" and "lower" the YJ springs are.

Side note: I also wonder if the real reason that YJ springs flex more isn't that they are "softer" but that they use a longer shackle to allow for a greater amount of easier flex, allowing the spring to compress more fully (not necessarily the whole picture but a lot of it). A NO-NO on a CJ as many peeps will say, "stay away from a shackle lift", but when they convert to YJ springs, that is just what they are doing.
spottedfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2013, 06:52 PM   #6
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spottedfrog View Post
skizriz, Did you use the stock YJ shackles? or conversion ones. did you use a conversion hanger?
I'm curious what the total height gained from the SHACKLE set up is. THAT will tell us how much "flatter" and "lower" the YJ springs are.

Side note: I also wonder if the real reason that YJ springs flex more isnt that they are "softer" but that they use a longer shackle to allow for a greater amount of easier flex, allowing the spring to compress more fully (not necessarily the whole picture but a lot of it). A NO-NO on a CJ as many peeps will say stay away from a shackle lift, but when they convert to YJ springs, that is just what they are doing.
Used the same shackles as I always had with the CJ springs. They are maybe 1/2" longer than stock.
I used a rear CJ shackle hanger on the front for the conversion.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.