do i need a catalytic converter? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > do i need a catalytic converter?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 01-28-2003, 09:15 PM   #1
KG4PAM

do i need a catalytic converter?

would i need a catalytic converter(s) on a non-california, 304, '75 cj5? i live in north carolina. thanks! jairus

KG4PAM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2003, 09:27 PM   #2
rustyCJ

do you have to pass emissions where the jeep will be registered? the jeep I am driving/fixing now hasnt had a converter on it since i before i bought. granted i dont know the exact laws on this but i highly doubt any cop is going to crawl under your jeep and check to see if its there.
Unread 01-28-2003, 10:41 PM   #3
ImNotRyan

well here in FL, ive had many a vehicle with no cat, including my 79 CJ-5...

check your local laws regarding emissions.
Unread 01-28-2003, 11:48 PM   #4
CSP

A '75 originally equipped with a 304 would have had a catalytic convertor. If it came with the 258 or 232 it wouldn't have had one. Under federal law if the vehicle was originally equipped with a cat, it always has to have a cat. Just depends on whose rules you want to follow.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2003, 08:26 AM   #5
KG4PAM

thanks for the replys. the jeep will be registered in a non-emissions county, it only has to pass the nc safety inspection. the reason i ask is that since i swapped the 304 and have the title from the '75, i might accidentally mix up the VIN numbers between '81 and '75... i guess to be on the safe side, i will find a catalytoc converter somewhere and tack it on for inspection in july. does the cat have to come before the muffler, or can i put it behind? thanks again! jairus
Unread 01-29-2003, 09:57 AM   #6
MR.CJ-7

My kitty's "fell off" mine a long time ago and it passes emissions where I register with no problems.
Unread 01-29-2003, 11:30 AM   #7
CSP

Quote:
Originally posted by KG4PAM
since i swapped the 304 and have the title from the '75, i might accidentally mix up the VIN numbers between '81 and '75...
Huh? You had better be sure that the title you have has the same VIN as the VIN plate on the Jeep. The inspection/emissions places look at the plate when determining what the required equipment is, not the title.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2003, 05:21 PM   #8
KG4PAM

they look at the plate, huh... they didnt lift the hood on mine, maybe the VIN is mounted in a place unbeknownst to me.. nothing an 1/8" drill , some rivets, and a black magic marker wont fix... thanks again!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.