Do I have a starter problem? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Do I have a starter problem?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 09-13-2013, 03:34 PM   #1
radshooter
1963 CJ5 

Do I have a starter problem?

The last couple times I started the CJ left me wondering if the starter is going south.

When I turn the key, the engine will turn over a few times then stop, but the starter will continue to whirl until I release the key. Once in a great while the engine will turn until I release the key, but usually it is "turn-whirl".

I just dropped in a new battery (thanks LumpyGrits ) so I don't think that is a problem.

Do y'all think it is the starter? Drive gear? I've never messed with either. How hard are they to change out?

Thanks everyone..

I will really be glad when I get smart enough to start answering questions instead of asking them all the time!

radshooter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2013, 03:50 PM   #2
JustDandee
1983 CJ7 

I would say that you are in the market for a new starter. Sounds like the bendix "drive gear" is spinning on the shaft.
JustDandee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2013, 03:57 PM   #3
WillysCJ
1976 CJ6 

Those starters work on inertia so if you look at the top of your starter theres a cover that you can remove. In it there is a arm that on one side has a magnet and on the other side the finger that pushes the drive gear forward. They are prone to get dirty and then the drive gear does not fully push out.

Take the starter off and clean that mechanism properly and give it some WD40 or other can lube. Youl quickly see that you can fix this yourself once you open up that cover. You do not need to open the whole starter on the long screws.
WillysCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2013, 05:01 PM   #4
ADDZ71
1979 CJ7 

Let me ask a related question. Over the past three weeks or so one out of every ten cranks will result in a grinding noise. IT doesn't happen every time. Sometimes I alleviate the problem by roll starting it. I have not pulled it off to inspect / clean the bendix gear but the randomness is what concerns me. Knowing that the flywheel typically stops in discrete stops related to compression strokes on the engine I would be a little concerned of a ring gear having a bad spot.

Thoughts?
ADDZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2013, 05:40 PM   #5
radshooter
1963 CJ5 

Thanks guys. I guess I know what I am doing this weekend! Along with finding out why the front hubs won't lock in. And getting the gas gauge to work. And finding out why the heater doesn't work. And putting on steps for the wife to get in and out. And.,..........Does this ever end?????
radshooter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2013, 05:42 PM   #6
jumbojeepman
1976 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADDZ71 View Post
Let me ask a related question. Over the past three weeks or so one out of every ten cranks will result in a grinding noise. IT doesn't happen every time. Sometimes I alleviate the problem by roll starting it. I have not pulled it off to inspect / clean the bendix gear but the randomness is what concerns me. Knowing that the flywheel typically stops in discrete stops related to compression strokes on the engine I would be a little concerned of a ring gear having a bad spot.

Thoughts?
My thoughts concur with your thoughts - i.e. bad ring gear on flywheel.
jumbojeepman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2013, 05:57 PM   #7
carnuck
1984 J-Series Truck 

Make sure it's not just the starter coming loose (VERY common on AMC motors!)

'81 Eagle wagon with upgrades $2500
'87 Comanche shortbox 4.0/AW4/NP242 on 33" tires $3500
carnuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2013, 05:28 AM   #8
WillysCJ
1976 CJ6 

Ring gearmis very unlikely to be the problem but possible. Start with starter drive gear and cleaning it properly.
WillysCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2013, 01:38 PM   #9
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

You either have teeth missing on the ring gear on the f'wheel, or buggered up Bendix spring and gear on the starter.
Get a new starter and see what happens.
LG
Unread 09-14-2013, 08:52 PM   #10
jumbojeepman
1976 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumpyGrits View Post
You either have teeth missing on the ring gear on the f'wheel, or buggered up Bendix spring and gear on the starter.
Get a new starter and see what happens.
LG
Or take out the starter, and spin around the engine with a breaker bar while you look at the ring gear teeth through the starter hole with a flashlight. It's usually pretty easy to see which ones are messed up.
jumbojeepman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2013, 07:09 AM   #11
JeePete
1983 CJ7 

When the starter was working well (in the recent past), were you getting any grinding? That would be the tell tale of a bad ring gear/flywheel.

If the starter wasn't loose and you need a "new" starter, I'd suggest trying to find someone to rebuild the stock unit, (or exchange it). Those were similar to the old Ford set ups & easy (simple & cheap) to rebuild. Hopefully the guy is using genuine bendix etc.

Unless you can find an honest brand name starter somewhere, the Chinese crap is, well, crap & you'll be replacing it again soon.

Just my .02
JeePete is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.