Dizzy Gear - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Dizzy Gear

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 10-17-2009, 03:01 PM   #1
tgarey
1978 CJ5 

Dizzy Gear

The 258 in the CJ5 threw a huge backfire and then died, would not start no matter what I did. Crank all day, no start.

Pulled the distributor cap and realized the rotor could be turned 360* by hand; bad!

Pulled the entre dist. and found no gear on the end; very bad!

Finally got the oil pan off (have to raise the engine about 2-in.) and found the gear in the bottom of the pan, no excessive wear however the roll pin had sheared off flush with the dist. Shaft; sort of good.

Near as I can tell, it fell into the pan when I lifted the distributor out of the engine.

Also found the two little pieces of the roll pin that used to go through the gear in the pan. So, at least I found all the loose hardware and it wonít end up somewhere where it can do serious damage.

Did a search and found tons about gears being eaten, but that's not my situation.

The distributor is an HEI upgrade and when I put it in I used the old gear and pin. Iím thinking I should have used a new pin at that time, however the pin was tight when I put it in. Has anyone else had the roll pin that holds the gear on the end of the distributor shaft shear off and if so, what type of roll pin did you put back in? I really don't want to do the "remove the oil pan", ďfind TDC and reinstall the distributor again.

tgarey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2009, 03:39 PM   #2
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Has the oil pump been upgraded to a hi-volume or hi-pressure one? Those pumps put extra loads on stuff not designed for the load.

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2009, 05:25 PM   #3
tgarey
1978 CJ5 

No, I left the OEM oil pump in it. Could a bad backfire cause this?
Unread 10-17-2009, 05:41 PM   #4
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Possibly. I guess if the pin was weak or something and the engine jerked hard enough.. Don't know.

I've heard hard powershifting a lot can damage dist parts from the sudden up/down of the rpms. ANy truth to that don't know.

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2009, 05:48 PM   #5
Fjguercio
Web Wheeler
1978 CJ7 

How long and miles has the HEI been installed?

inspect the cam gear for wear and damage?

verifty the oil pump is not bound up??

Does the gear fit shaft properly, does the distributor bottom out with colar meating the block/gasket surface.

Something sheered it off. How long a period of install and how many miles should have been in post 1.
Fjguercio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2009, 06:00 PM   #6
tgarey
1978 CJ5 

Installed in April of this year, maybe 200 miles on it. I can turn the oil pump easily with a screwdriver. The cam gear looks good, minimal wear. The gear is a running and sliding fit over the shaft.
That's why I'm at a loss as to why it sheared, perhaps just an old pin. Just wondering if anyone else has had this experiance.
Tadd
Unread 10-18-2009, 07:26 AM   #7
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Many of those cheap distributors had shafts and/or housings that were too long and they put the oil pump in a bind.
When you do that, it either strips the teeth off one (or both) gears,
Or it shears the roll pin.

I would look to see if the housing seats on the block WITHOUT a gasket.
This will tell you if the housing seats.

Then try and work the distributor shaft up and down a little while holding the housing in place.
If you have some 'Play' in the shaft, doesn't take much, then the shaft isn't binding the oil pump.

I say WITHOUT a gasket because the gasket is going to compress over time, and you need to see if there is enough clearance when that happens.
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2009, 01:25 PM   #8
tgarey
1978 CJ5 

Thanks JeepHammer, I'll do that to make sure there is enough room for the shaft. Picked up the new oil pan gasket today and a roll pin. Probably be able to work on it over the next day or two after work.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.