distributors - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > distributors

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Artec Holiday Sale!

Unread 08-10-2003, 11:25 AM   #1
MudMonster

distributors

when its time to improve the ignition system i was thinking about going with a D.U.I. one piece HEI distributor, how well do they work??? Itd be nice to uncomplicate the whole system.

[COLOR=red][B][SIZE=3]RED JEEP CLUB MEMBER #78[/SIZE] [/B] [/COLOR]
[B][COLOR=red]BIG GUNS[/COLOR] [COLOR=white]AND[/COLOR] [COLOR=blue]JEEP[/COLOR] OWNERS OF AMERICA CLUB MEMBER #3[/B]
[B][COLOR=Red]Red[/COLOR][COLOR=Blue] Neck [/COLOR] [COLOR=Red]Jeep[/COLOR][COLOR=Blue] Club[/COLOR][COLOR=White]Member#27[/COLOR][/B]Fire Engine Red '85 CJ-7, Howell FI-258, T-176, D300, 9", Warn Internal Hubs, Wagoneer front springs, RE Wrangler's in the rear, 33" TrXus', HEI conversion, Taurus fan, no emissions junk, and some 150w daylighters
MudMonster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2003, 11:44 PM   #2
CSP

Forget DUI. If you're determined to use HEI, build your own for about $100. Search google.com for "CJ HEI conversion" for more info. Also search on "TFI upgrade" which is much simpler and gets you similar results.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2003, 08:42 AM   #3
Brock

For an '85 CJ, I would go with the TFI because it performs better than the HEI and seems easier due to the use of the factory distributor. Here are a few sites to look at:

Brock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2003, 08:58 AM   #4
MudMonster

Frankly I dont know a ton about ignition systems, i know how they work but im not really knoledgeable enough to fix a salvaged distributor or anything. It'd be nice to have something fresh that was dependable even if it was expensave, my 258 has already been a hastle and it'd be nice to not have any more problems. So really im wondering about the quality of the DUI?

[COLOR=red][B][SIZE=3]RED JEEP CLUB MEMBER #78[/SIZE] [/B] [/COLOR]
[B][COLOR=red]BIG GUNS[/COLOR] [COLOR=white]AND[/COLOR] [COLOR=blue]JEEP[/COLOR] OWNERS OF AMERICA CLUB MEMBER #3[/B]
[B][COLOR=Red]Red[/COLOR][COLOR=Blue] Neck [/COLOR] [COLOR=Red]Jeep[/COLOR][COLOR=Blue] Club[/COLOR][COLOR=White]Member#27[/COLOR][/B]Fire Engine Red '85 CJ-7, Howell FI-258, T-176, D300, 9", Warn Internal Hubs, Wagoneer front springs, RE Wrangler's in the rear, 33" TrXus', HEI conversion, Taurus fan, no emissions junk, and some 150w daylighters
MudMonster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2003, 04:29 AM   #5
sampson9dk

I did the HEI upgrade. Bought everything off ebay (total cost about $35...It works fine and eliminates a lot of clutter under the hood. These links should tell you all u need to know

http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/electrical/hei02/
http://keith.cj8.tripod.com/hei_upgrade.htm

85 CJ 258...nice and simple MC2100 HEI electric fan minus the ECU

Last edited by sampson9dk; 08-14-2003 at 04:32 AM..
sampson9dk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2003, 05:29 AM   #6
Scrambler82
1982 CJ8 

How about the MSD Distributor and the Off-Road 6 Box, $$$ bling, bling.

In my 5.0 Ranger it works well and I was going to use it in the bobbed 8 w/5.0 Ford.

Just thinking out loud.

LOL,

Do it right the first time !
Scrambler82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.