distributor and vacuum advance - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > distributor and vacuum advance

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 06-19-2013, 11:31 PM   #1
xnodesirex
1978 CJ7 

distributor and vacuum advance

Help me oh jeep gods.

Finally got my 304 with a 470 Holley T/A timed correctly at initial (~6 BTDC) using a timing light, with vacuum advance disconnected and plugged. Runs a little high at idle (~850 RPMs), and this produces around 16g of vacuum.

now, when connecting vacuum, it stumbles like a drunk and then dies quickly. Just for kicks, I backed out the idle mixture screws, which SLIGHTLY helped but eventually brought about backfiring out the exhaust.

Tried the ported spark on the side of the carb - and it's driving vacuum at idle (~7-9g). So that's a little weird on its own, but same exact problem. I know the consensus is to use manifold, but why on earth is it causing my engine to die within seconds of turning over. Without vacuum its totally fine to idle.

xnodesirex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2013, 04:27 AM   #2
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Sounds like you may have an internal vacuum leak inside the distributor vacuum Advance Unit. If the vacuum advance line is disconnected and "plugged" and it runs and idles fine, but when connected back up it stumbles, it could be leaking internally. Another cause may be that the Advance Unit may be adjusted incorrectly or the springs for the centrifugal advance plate are so weak and worn or missing.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2013, 05:10 AM   #3
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

What cam are you running?

If it's stock, you should be drawing more than 16" at idle. 18-20" is more like it at your elevation.

You shouldn't be drawing any ported vacuum at idle. Throttle plate positioning is usually the culprit.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2013, 05:45 AM   #4
SuperSportCJ
1982 CJ7 

I'd have to agree with Keith. Try unplugging the vacuum advance line but do not hook it immediately up to the distributor allowing it to leak vacuum and see it it idles and dies the same as when it's hooked up.

I have the same engine and carb timed around 6 BTDC as well with a little larger comp cam and I have 16" vacuum at idle. My throttle plates are barely off the stop to idle at about 750 rpms.
SuperSportCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2013, 08:09 AM   #5
swatson454
Web Wheeler

1983 CJ7 

What distributor?

Shawn
Unread 06-20-2013, 11:36 AM   #6
xnodesirex
1978 CJ7 

Working on this engine, despite simple parts, has me right about to the point of lighting it on fire or junking it. Replaced EVERYTHING, and it still is nothing but problems.

Brand new re-manufactured distributor from autozone. Old one definitely had warn springs, and a very weak vaccum advance (you could move it by hardly sucking).

No idea what the cam is. PO made a few changes, and I'm not quite sure if he changed the cam or not. New intake, new valve covers, etc. Said it was "rebuilt" but that is a questionable comment. Not sure how it was running when I got it as it was timing at over 60 at idle (with vac advance plugged in).

Checked the new one before installing, and it took quite a lot to move the advance - damn near saw some stars.

No leak in the vaccuum lines. I can get to 18hg, but at a much higher level of idle.

Not sure about the spark vacuum - I'll check the throttle plates, but it's basically stock from Holley out of the box. Only thing thats been adjusted is the floats and idle screws. Their whole "pre-adjusted" mantra is sheer bull****.
Unread 06-21-2013, 06:53 AM   #7
GlennLever
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

I agree with Keith, it is easy to check, put a hose on the vacuum advance on the distributor, suck on it and put your tongue over the hole in the hose. The "sucked" vacuum should not leak off, if it does replace the vacuum canister on the distributor, they are cheap.

My restoration thread here on the Jeep forum
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj...build-1269301/

New FED, Drag Racing Forum (I am an Administrator) at
http://www.frontenginedragsters.org/forum/index.php
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2013, 12:04 AM   #8
xnodesirex
1978 CJ7 

Didn't even get that far as Glenn suggested.

Now back to square... 0.

Replaced the carb to intake studs to make sure the carb was torqued to spec. One of the old ones was stripped, so there was a possible vaccuum leak (though starter fluid didn't show any acceleration).

After doing that... engine idled HIGH (1300 RPM). So... now trying to figure out why the timing is off, idle is too high (idle screws are basically bottomed out), and how much more it will take until i start losing hair.

Engine idles super high now 1300 RPM. Adjusting the timing by rotating the distributor gets it down to about 1000. Engine SOUNDS closer to normal, but still remarkably high in RPM. Idle mixture screws can't go any lower, so I'm kind of stuck. I do know TDC is correct, and the distributor was installed correctly, but I'm miffed as to what's going on NOW.

Any suggestions?
Unread 06-27-2013, 01:06 PM   #9
SCSEAJAYSEVEN
1978 CJ7 

Pull the carb off and check your throttle butterfly plates. They may be inserted through the throttle shaft backwards or not fully seated in the shaft. Also check for sloppiness of the throttle shaft where it pivots in the carb. Could be that the holes or bushings are worn so bad causing a vacuum leak.

There should be a small screw that secures the throttle plate(s) to the shaft. They maybe missing, causing the throttle plates to move slightly and not allow the plates to close in the right position.

SCSEAJAYSEVEN
SCSEAJAYSEVEN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2013, 12:14 AM   #10
xnodesirex
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSEAJAYSEVEN View Post
Pull the carb off and check your throttle butterfly plates. They may be inserted through the throttle shaft backwards or not fully seated in the shaft. Also check for sloppiness of the throttle shaft where it pivots in the carb. Could be that the holes or bushings are worn so bad causing a vacuum leak.

There should be a small screw that secures the throttle plate(s) to the shaft. They maybe missing, causing the throttle plates to move slightly and not allow the plates to close in the right position.

SCSEAJAYSEVEN
I'll give it a check.

If that's the case, I'm going to be severely pissed at Holley. This thing has seen ZERO miles on the road thus far....
Unread 06-30-2013, 10:46 PM   #11
xnodesirex
1978 CJ7 

updates!

- replaced the gasket under the carb, reinstalled the carb and retorqued to spec.
- While the carb was off, I also checked the intake manifold to ensure that it was torqued to spec (it was mostly).
- While the carb was off, I backed out the curb idle screw, and the fast idle screw so they wouldn't influence anything. I noticed a slight/minor gap between the throttle butterfly and the walls. If I pushed slightly on the throttle level the wrong direction, this gap closed.
- Installed an extra spring to hopefully help close this gap.
- Adjusted the float level to the proper position (may have been set too high).

Net - Engine idles MUCH better and sounds more like a V-8, timing is still at 6-8 BTDC, but still idles high (950 RPM measured on an old external tach meter) and vacuum is at 15. There is a minor wiggle in the needle which has me a hair concerned. I'm at less than 1000 feet elevation, so this seems TOO low. Idle mixture screws don't bring this down before the engine dies - so something else is going on? Additional leaks?

Second, I tried Glenn's great suggestion and it held the vacuum against my tongue. Granted it wasn't a perfect measurement, but it worked well enough. When attached to the manifold vacuum - there is a strange added sound. Like ball bearings rubbing or something, that comes from the distributor. Definitely doesn't seem right to me. This causes the engine to idle higher (1050-1100 RPM) and I believe it causes the vacuum to drop lower (memory is a bit fuzzy on that last part).

Any ideas on all of this. I'm beyond stumped at this point.
Unread 07-02-2013, 12:25 PM   #12
xnodesirex
1978 CJ7 

Anyone??
Unread 07-02-2013, 06:42 PM   #13
fourbtgait
1930 MK Patriot 

Your vacuum is to low at idle for your elevation. Vacuum leak someplace?

The idle speed will increase naturally when hooked to manifold so just adjust it down on the carb.

Set your timing independant of your idle speed. Two separate things.
fourbtgait is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2013, 09:48 AM   #14
xnodesirex
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourbtgait View Post
Your vacuum is to low at idle for your elevation. Vacuum leak someplace?

The idle speed will increase naturally when hooked to manifold so just adjust it down on the carb.

Set your timing independant of your idle speed. Two separate things.
Thanks four.

Idle doesnt change (much) at the screws until it cuts off - so fuel is leaking somewhere, though I can't find where. The throttle plates are fully closed though.

Timing is slightly independent - if the idle is too high, trying to confirm timing isn't going to make sense. Since I can't get it down much below 1000 RPM, the timing is definitely coming in too high at this point.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.