Distributor Timing Questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Distributor Timing Questions

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGAlloy USA Still Available

Unread Today, 08:21 AM   #1
txhunter13
1978 CJ5 

Distributor Timing Questions

If for some reason my timing isn't setup right with my distributor do I risk majorly damaging the engine? I now know for sure the notch in my harmonic balancer won't line up so which way would be the best to get it lined up?

Sorry I've read and read about timing this thing but the whole deal with distributor for some reason I'm not getting. I know you have to turn the crank then wait for compression out of the #1 spot and then hopefully have your distributor connection landing on the #1 plug at that very moment? Maybe I've just read some wrong instructions and that's throwing me off. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks.

txhunter13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread Today, 08:27 AM   #2
grasmo
1982 CJ5 

improper timing can completely destroy an engine.....how do you "know" your balancer and timing tab are not in sync.?
grasmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Today, 09:12 AM   #3
txhunter13
1978 CJ5 

Because the harmonic balancer came apart and I replaced it pretty solid. I will get a new balancer once I determine the other problems of the jeep.
Unread Today, 09:16 AM   #4
grasmo
1982 CJ5 

if you haven't been trying to adjust the timing and it has been running fine, I wouldn't worry about it at least until you get another balancer.
grasmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Today, 09:34 AM   #5
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhunter13 View Post
Because the harmonic balancer came apart and I replaced it pretty solid. I will get a new balancer once I determine the other problems of the jeep.
You can't really set the timing until you get a new balancer. If the distributor hasn't been moved, the timing doesn't go 'off'.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread Today, 09:42 AM   #6
txhunter13
1978 CJ5 

I've been looking for a replacement balancer but can't find one anywhere for my vehicle specs. And the distributor has been moved.
Unread Today, 09:43 AM   #7
CSP

Is there something special about your "vehicle specs"?
CSP is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread Today, 09:54 AM   #8
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhunter13 View Post
I've been looking for a replacement balancer but can't find one anywhere for my vehicle specs. And the distributor has been moved.
What engine? Balancers are easy to get, just freaking expensive. I am using the balancer off my old 258 on my new 4.0 with no issues.

Ok, timing.... You need a vacuum gauge. You plug that into a manifold vacuum source and get it running. You then turn the distributor until you get the highest vacuum, then you back it off 2" on the vacuum gauge. This will get you pretty close. So if Max vacuum is 20, you want it yo be 18 idea.

Putting the engine at TDC on the compression stroke, then having the rotor in the distributor pointing to #1 post on the cap should get it close enough to run. You want the distributor vacuum pot pointing at the radiator which will put #1 plug wire about 5:30 with the engine at 12:00.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread Today, 11:06 AM   #9
rbthompsonv
1989 YJ Wrangler 

arent harmonic balancers keyed so they can only go on one way?
rbthompsonv is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread Today, 11:08 AM   #10
CSP

Yes they are, but there are two parts with the dampner part of it between them and they can move relative to each other.
Unread Today, 11:24 AM   #11
txhunter13
1978 CJ5 

I have found balancers but not the cheap ones. The engine is a V8 304 AMC I believe. It seems that I can only find the V6 balancers and the V8's from summit racing are around 300 or so compared to under 100 for the V6.
Unread Today, 11:31 AM   #12
CSP

Have you tried your local parts store?

These aren't hard to find. Do a Google search on AMC 304 harmonic balancer.

Summit Racing since you mentioned them specifically: http://www.summitracing.com/search/d...merican-motors
Unread Today, 11:35 AM   #13
carnuck
1984 J-Series Truck 

The outer ring of the balancer can slip out of synch with the inner one when the rubber between them swells from oil contamination.

'81 Eagle wagon with upgrades $2500
'87 Comanche shortbox 4.0/AW4/NP242 on 33" tires $3500
carnuck is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.