Distributor rotor does not turn - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Distributor rotor does not turn

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 06-03-2012, 05:24 PM   #1
jsmoe

Distributor rotor does not turn

I am fixing up a 1980 CJ5 with the GM 151 4-cylinder engine.

The engine overheated while driving and turned off as I coasted to a stop.

The engine will not start but does turn over and is not seized. I checked the plugs and was not getting a spark. I pulled the distributor cap and the distributor rotor does not turn when the the engine is cranked (by starter or manually).

It does not seem to be the timing belt as I can crank the engine and determine TDC on piston #1.

I have not pulled the distributor as I didn't want to mess up the timing, but that is my next move.

Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

jsmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2012, 05:31 PM   #2
scottymac62
1977 CJ5 

Timing is useless to you if your dizzy is not spinning. Yank that baby out and see if its the dizzy gear or your cam gear that is messed up.
'77 CJ-5 Renegade 304 / T-150, Dana 20, 30/20 axles, Aussie Locker in the Dana 30, American Racing 15x10 Outlaw II's, 33" Dynapro M/T's" ,Optima Battery, TeamRushed + Summit Racing CDI ignition, FlowKooler water pump, Edelbrock Performer Intake Manifold, Holley 4160 390cfm, Herculiner, Silver Ceramic Coated Hedman Hedders, Flowmaster 40's.
Warn PowerPlant HD 12K Winch, Dirtworx front and rear bumpers.
scottymac62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2012, 06:11 PM   #3
hutch1200
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

"It does not seem to be the timing belt as I can crank the engine and determine TDC on piston #1"-jsmoe
Doesn't that just mean the piston is still connected to the crank? Or did you pull the valve cover to make sure the intake is closed near TDC? I may be a moron and missing something, so please don't take this as me being snarky.
Unread 06-03-2012, 06:22 PM   #4
gojeepgo
1981 CJ7 

Turning the crank by hand will still make the piston go up and down in the bore even if the timing chain is broken. It is possible the cam is not turning as you crank the engine which would indicate the timing chain is broken. The dizzy turns via a gear on the camshaft. You can pull the valve cover off and turn the engine by hand. If the valves are not moving then the chain is broken.
gojeepgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2012, 06:37 AM   #5
Pacfanweb
Go Wolfpack

1981 CJ7 

Finding TDC has nothing to do with the timing belt/chain, you can do that with just a crank in a block.

Now if you're talking about finding the compression stroke, the belt/chain has to be intact for that to happen.

Pull your oil filler cap off (assuming it's in the valve cover) and have someone crank the engine....you'll be able to see if the rocker arms/valves are moving, that'll tell you if your belt is still on.

Tags
cj5 , distributor , overheated , rotor , turn

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.