distributor installation question for odd-fire 225 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > distributor installation question for odd-fire 225

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 09-18-2011, 04:02 AM   #1
fastford5913
1969 CJ5 

distributor installation question for odd-fire 225

I have been installing a new valve-train in my 225 odd fire engine and i have run across a problem.i put in the timing chain , installed front cover ,etc,now my problem is this i'm ready to install the dizzy,could someone tell me which way the rotor button should point????I put it in pointing to #1 cylinder but that comes up to #3 on the cap...should i install it with the rotor coming out to point at #1 on the cap when all is installed.any help will be appreciated as i'm ready to hear this thing bust gas.thanks guys

fastford5913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2011, 06:10 AM   #2
gojeepin
1983 CJ7 

Yes. You should point it to #1 on the cap so you can easily keep track of your cylinder wiring on the cap. That way you can put install the other wires relative to #1.

Is your engine set at top dead center of the compression stroke for cylinder 1?

83 CJ7, 4.1L 6cyl (4.0L bored .030" over), 35" tires, T-5 transmission, Dana 300 TC, Trussed AMC 20.
gojeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2011, 07:26 AM   #3
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

No verification of COMPRESSION STROKE,
No verification of TDC of #1 Piston,
No Verification of Balancer Mark and 'Zero' on the timing cover,
Didn't correct the distributor shaft to compensate for rotation of the shaft during install,
Didn't line up for #1 plug wire location,

This is a disaster in slow motion...

You MUST do the following,

1. Find Compression Stroke starting on #1 cylinder.
2. You MUST bring the piston up to TDC in #1 cylinder.
If you don't VERIFY TDC of COMPRESSION STROKE in the #1 cylinder,
You WILL NOT get the distributor in the right way.

Once you VERIFY TDC of Compression,
3. You check your balancer 'Hash' mark to make sure the balancer isn't lying to you.

4. Mark your distributor housing for the location of the #1 plug wire.
And since it's an odd fire distributor, you MUST use the 'Correct' #1 plug wire terminal or this won't work.

5. Once you have marked the #1 spark plug terminal ON THE DISTRIBUTOR HOUSING, you take the cap off,
Then start the distributor into the block.
Remember to back the rotor up in ROTATION about one terminl space because the rotor is going to move forward as the gears engauge.

The gear is spiral cut, so it's going to rotate the shaft/rotor as it engauges the camshaft gear.
If you DO NOT compesate for this rotation before you engauge the gears, the rotor will wind up PAST the #1 terminal mark you made on the distributor housing when it's fully installed.

I would suggest you get the manual out, or get one if you don't have one, and find out what direction the vacuum advance is supposed to aim and set the housing with that vacuum advance pointing at the correct direction.

Then I suggest you set the rotor in the correct location (about one cap space in rotation BEFORE the mark you made on the housing for #1 plug wire location so when you drop the gears together, the rotor comes around to the mark you made on the housing when the distributor seats on the block...
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2011, 10:35 AM   #4
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

Quote:
I would suggest you get the manual out, or get one if you don't have one, and find out what direction the vacuum advance is supposed to aim and set the housing with that vacuum advance pointing at the correct direction.
The vacuum advance points forward, toward the fan. The stock vac advance uses an input that is 90 degrees to keep the vacuum line from hitting the fan blades. If yours has been replaced with a generic GM unit, you may have to install the distributor left or right to keep everything out of the way.
BTW, one of the best ignition upgrades for this engine is an HEI unit from a 76 Buick oddfire. These are reasonably priced and still available. While they can be a PITA to install, once in, you can forget about resetting the points and timing every three to five thousand miles. It also gives you the opportunity to open the plug gap a bit, giving a bit better power and economy.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.