Distributor Cap/Rotor... CRUD! How come? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Distributor Cap/Rotor... CRUD! How come?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNew jk doors from steinjagerEliminate Hood Flutter!!!

Unread 07-06-2013, 04:56 PM   #1
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Distributor Cap/Rotor... CRUD! How come?

This cap and rotor is off my son's 258 ('79 CJ5). It is part of the Team Rush components. Since we're swapping engines in his Jeep, I thought I would rob his *good* parts and put them on my Jeep! I was surprised when I saw what the cap looks like. This was all brand new stuff. It ran for ~6 months, making daily trips to college. No offroading, only street. The engine is being changed due to blowby. Besides the discoloration, there is a lot of black debris, almost like graphite. What was going on, and can I clean it up to install on my 258?

Thanks.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2013, 05:10 PM   #2
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

That's pretty common. The first place I'd look is plug gap. Contrary to all of the marketing hype, you really don't need more than .040. I used to be a .055+ guy but I've changed my evil ways.

You could also look into the plug wires. Anything that makes it more difficult for the spark to jump the plug gap can make it do what it's done under your cap. Should be an easy fix

Shawn

Edit: I probably shouldn't but where's Jeephammer now to defend his beloved Duraspark and all of his HEI "red dust" comments? Ok, my bad. It's just a product of the spark not going where it should. Good wires and the right gap will probably fix you right up. No worries.

Edit 2: You've changed the metal composition with the spark blowing particles out of it. I'd replace the cap and rotor (upgraded, brass posts) and try to nail down what caused it to begin with.

-S
Unread 07-06-2013, 05:44 PM   #3
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

That is normal arc tracking.
LG
LumpyGrits is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2013, 08:51 PM   #4
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by swatson454 View Post
That's pretty common. The first place I'd look is plug gap. Contrary to all of the marketing hype, you really don't need more than .040. I used to be a .055+ guy but I've changed my evil ways.

You could also look into the plug wires. Anything that makes it more difficult for the spark to jump the plug gap can make it do what it's done under your cap. Should be an easy fix

Shawn

Edit: I probably shouldn't but where's Jeephammer now to defend his beloved Duraspark and all of his HEI "red dust" comments? Ok, my bad. It's just a product of the spark not going where it should. Good wires and the right gap will probably fix you right up. No worries.

Edit 2: You've changed the metal composition with the spark blowing particles out of it. I'd replace the cap and rotor (upgraded, brass posts) and try to nail down what caused it to begin with.

-S
Thanks, Shawn. The wires were installed at the time of the TR. Everything new. I thought the cap had brass posts, but I'll go back and look at it. Also, the plugs were gapped at .045, per TR recommendations. So that could improve by going back to .040? I thought the broader cap was supposed to eliminate the arcing under the cap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumpyGrits View Post
That is normal arc tracking.
LG
Thanks, Lumpy.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.