Distributor advice - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Distributor advice

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 07-07-2014, 07:27 PM   #1
delirious1

Distributor advice

I believe I have the original distributor that came with my 1982 Laredo cj7. It's had replaced points and condensors, cap and plug wires, rotor but original distributor. My jeep idles rough. I've got vibration at idle. Runs fine on acceleration and at speed.

I don't know anything about distributors so talk to me like I need to be educated. What would you replace it with?

delirious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2014, 07:50 PM   #2
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Not original distributor. No points or condenser in one, they are electronic. They either work or they don't, they don't make it run rough...
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2014, 08:53 PM   #3
delirious1

Gotcha. Thanks.
Unread 07-08-2014, 05:54 AM   #4
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

When was the last time the carb was tuned? How dirty is the air filter or how old is the gas filter. What kind and how old are the sparkplugs? Jeep engines Really don't like Bosch platinum plugs.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Unread 07-08-2014, 06:16 AM   #5
boutdoorhunter
1980 CJ7 

Plugs

So, what is the best plug to run in the 258?
Unread 07-08-2014, 06:35 AM   #6
delirious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Romain View Post
When was the last time the carb was tuned? How dirty is the air filter or how old is the gas filter. What kind and how old are the sparkplugs? Jeep engines Really don't like Bosch platinum plugs.
I don't know about the plugs. I'll pop in a new set. I tuned the carb last year as well as set the timing. Fuel filter. No idea. I'll address those issues. It fires up well. Vibration is when in gear but sitting still. I increased the idle speed last night and it helped. Did this while in gear and AC on. Idle was too low when ac was active. 500 rpm

Maybe I'm expecting too much from a jeep. I know there's lots of factors here and I need to go through them. Engine mounts are brand new as well as tranny mount.
Unread 07-08-2014, 06:37 AM   #7
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boutdoorhunter View Post
So, what is the best plug to run in the 258?
I get great service and gas mileage from champion copper cores.
Unread 07-08-2014, 06:40 AM   #8
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by delirious1 View Post

I don't know about the plugs. I'll pop in a new set. I tuned the carb last year as well as set the timing. Fuel filter. No idea. I'll address those issues. It fires up well. Vibration is when in gear but sitting still. I increased the idle speed last night and it helped. Did this while in gear and AC on. Idle was too low when ac was active. 500 rpm

Maybe I'm expecting too much from a jeep. I know there's lots of factors here and I need to go through them. Engine mounts are brand new as well as tranny mount.
AC and automatic eh. There is a solvac unit on your carb that is supposed to kick the idle up when you turn on the AC and when you put an automatic in gear. I would be checking its adjustment and its electrical plug and vacuum feed to be sure it is working.
Unread 07-08-2014, 07:39 AM   #9
delirious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Romain View Post
AC and automatic eh. There is a solvac unit on your carb that is supposed to kick the idle up when you turn on the AC and when you put an automatic in gear. I would be checking its adjustment and its electrical plug and vacuum feed to be sure it is working.

I wish I had better info. I've been working on the jeep a little lately. It has a weber carb (32, but I will need to check). Would this have the solvac unit? I didn't put the carb on. Dad had this and I recently got it back. It was my first car and after 20 years later, I'm getting up to speed. I'll look over the carb when I get home this afternoon. Can't remember what I have.

here's a pic
Unread 07-08-2014, 07:46 AM   #10
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:

I wish I had better info. I've been working on the jeep a little lately. It has a weber carb. Would this have the solvac unit? I didn't put the carb on. Dad had this and I recently got it back. It was my first car and after 20 years later, I'm getting up to speed.

here's a pic
No that is a limitation of the Weber carb. Just keep the idle up a little. If it runs well above idle, be thankful, lots of them are dogs...
Unread 07-08-2014, 08:01 AM   #11
delirious1

It does run well above idle. I think I have it adjusted about how I like it. It goes into gear pretty easy from idle yet still hold around 600-700 RPM with AC on in gear. It has helped to reduce the vibration. I still have some vibration through the steering column and the mirrors vibrate (which I think they always will). I'll still put some new plugs in it as I don't know how old they are. Wish I had another CJ to drive to compare how it runs. High school, when I last drove it alot was back in the late 80s. Thanks for your replys.
Unread 07-08-2014, 08:05 AM   #12
delirious1

Forgot to ask, Is there a better carb for the 258? I mean it runs fine. Not sure about working out the vibration with a new carb but if it's in the budget, maybe.
Unread 07-08-2014, 08:59 AM   #13
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Forgot to ask, Is there a better carb for the 258? I mean it runs fine. Not sure about working out the vibration with a new carb but if it's in the budget, maybe.
The stock BBD carb is the best for that application, but lots of folks think a Real Weber (there are clones out there) is better. I think anything is better than a BBD that has never seen a carb kit, which is supposed to be done every time you need sparkplugs.

I run that stock BBD on both my 4.0 engines and get great performance and mileage. Way over 20 mpg. There are a couple gents testing out a new source of $160.00 BBD's.
Unread 07-08-2014, 09:03 AM   #14
delirious1

Thanks again mike. I'll look at the carb model I have, put in a kit and change out the plugs. Hope it will help. Won't hurt.
Unread 07-08-2014, 09:06 AM   #15
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Thanks again mike. I'll look at the carb model I have, put in a kit and change out the plugs. Hope it will help. Won't hurt.
Pay attention to the shape of the plugs and which hole they came out of. Their condition tells lots about how your system is running and how each cylinders compare.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.