Disc Brake conversion - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Disc Brake conversion

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 02-23-2006, 01:02 PM   #1
CJmadison
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Disc Brake conversion

I have a 1985 CJ7, amc 20 with one piece axles. any ideas for upgrading to Disc brakes? Looking for a cheaper solution instead of buying the SSBC Kit.

Unread 02-24-2006, 08:16 AM   #2
gosupes
1986 CJ7 

Do a search over on the Pirate forum. There was a writeup using basic parts from a couple of different cars. Pretty low dollar from what I remember.
1986 CJ7, 4.2 w/4.0 head, TFI-HEI hybrid ignition, Clifford manifold w/Holley 390 w/cold air intake, OBA, 4.5" lift, Woody CV shaft and Tattons in front, 4.10 gears - lunchbox in front, Truetrac in the back, twin-sticked, blower upgrade for running topless, trying to keep it simple.

It's just a Jeep, and if you don't wheel it once in a while, it's not even that.
gosupes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2006, 01:58 PM   #3
jlynch
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I used 77 scout rotors, 85 s-10 calipers and made my on brackets that bolt on. Had to do some grinding on the rotors to get them to fit over the axles. I also had to grind the brake pads down a litlle bit but it works fine. you might look at tsm's kit. pretty reasonable price but you have to buy the calipers seperate.
jlynch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2006, 02:02 PM   #4
a84jeepCJ7

My advice is to check with TSM (www.tsmmfg.com) and get their kit (about $300). Then go to www.car-parts.com and order some calipers from a salvage yard. TSM will tell you what calipers you need. That's what I did. I am installing my brakes tomorrow and I'll let you know how they turn out.
a84jeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2006, 04:14 PM   #5
dcarlton

I was planning on taking one of these routes as well, but ended up purchasing a whole new front axle for $250, included calipers, rotors, knuckles MC, porportioning valve & power booster. Also included new gearing, but am not putting that in.

I asked around at a local Jeep place, where all they sell is used Jeep parts, and that is where I got the axle from. We discussed these kits, or using parts from a Chevy Truck, but they really recommended against it, saying it is harder that people say, and more modifications are necesary.

My two cents.
dcarlton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.