different voltage - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > different voltage

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 06-10-2009, 07:56 AM   #1
golferwt
1986 CJ7 

different voltage

How come I get diff voltages at my accessories. All are below 12 volts. This is not typical cj7. Ford V8 302

golferwt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2009, 08:16 AM   #2
iagmc
1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by golferwt View Post
How come I get diff voltages at my accessories. All are below 12 volts. This is not typical cj7. Ford V8 302
I would say it is "typical" of any conversion that the PO hammered there way through a project. My guess with such little information is that there is a voltage drop leading the the fire wall. I would check the wiring leading up to the wall and after. a partial broken fuse able link would cause a drop, of which you will have to find out why it tried to burn. I have take the stance of replacing fuse able links with a heavy circuit breaker and sealing them. I would not replace the link unless there was a problem. If some one stabbed a bunch of wires "looking" for a problem you could lose voltage there. The moisture will seep in and brake down wires through the whole. Which will cause a drop and not let amps through. In the right circumstances this could cause a fire. (unlikely but could)
Unread 06-11-2009, 05:27 AM   #3
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Yes corroded/broken wires inside the harnes, bad terminals, crimps, loose connections will drop a voltage 0.1 volts here and there and by the time you add them all up, you get quite a voltage drop frome the source to the device. I bet your oltage gauge swings a lot when you turn on your turn signals also.

p.s. iagmc, fix your sig, I think it's suposse to be "felt the heat"
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2009, 06:48 AM   #4
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post

p.s. iagmc, fix your sig, I think it's suposse to be "felt the heat"

...or, FEEL...

Rich

There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
rixcj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2009, 07:04 AM   #5
jfwireless
1976 CJ7 

How are you measuring your voltage?? Where is the ground reference point you are measuring from?

You could have losses in your wiring harness or just bad ground connections or poor grounding method.

Try putting the negative lead of a voltmeter on the negative post of the battery and measure the voltage at each one of your accessaries to determine if it is a grounding issue or wiring harness issue. You may find different issues with each accessary.

Jim
jfwireless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2009, 08:14 AM   #6
iagmc
1974 CJ5 

thanks rich, My spelling is not the best, Always been my weak point.
Unread 06-14-2009, 06:21 AM   #7
golferwt
1986 CJ7 

Thanks to all. Good areas for me to chk
golferwt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.