difference between the CJ and the YJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > difference between the CJ and the YJ

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!The Ruffstuff Optima Battery Box!

Unread 10-03-2005, 12:36 AM   #1
joeygeep

difference between the CJ and the YJ

i own a 91 yj rite now and luv the cjs just as much but i dont know what the differences are really. and i mean everything except for the appearnce of like the hood and the lights. pros and cons to having a CJ?

Unread 10-03-2005, 02:09 AM   #2
kaibab

pros of the cj..everything...cons of the yj...everything....j/k....BURN your headlights
kaibab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2005, 06:12 AM   #3
KGBnumber1

uh oh we're going to go into the 'jeeps have round headlights' debate in here
Blue Jeep Club member [COLOR=Blue]#100[/COLOR]
1970 DJ-5
3.8 v6
700R4 tranny
countless hours of blood and sweat turning it into a cj-5
KGBnumber1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2005, 09:01 AM   #4
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

To answer the question, I mention the main points and compare a late CJ to an early YJ (91 on had fuel injection and a boxed rear roll bar).
Frame: YJ is 4 inches wider
Engine/ carb: same
tranny: both medium to light strength
t case: CJ is all gear and YJ is chain driven
Front axle: CJ has locking hubs (diff doesn't spin in 2wd) and YJ has no lock outs (diff spins while moving)
Rear axle: CJ had a 2 piece hub (most late CJ) and YJ had a C clip (most) CJ has 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern while YJ is 5 on 4.5
Springs: YJs are a tad longer and wider in front (yj also sits a tad lower)(CJ has more articulation)
Body: dashes are differnt, tailgate and hardtops are different, YJ has side mirrors on doors (same doors), gas cap on opp side, CJ windshield folds down in seconds, YJ has "Bars" bolted in, 85 on had fold n tumble rear seat on both, ETC.
Both will have a sway bar and have similar handling characteristics while the yj is a tad more road friendly and less off road ability and the CJ is opposite. They can interchange about 75 to 80 percent of thier parts. The problem is that a lot of folks try to compare a new Wrangler to the older style of CJ (pre 76) and there is a huge differnce there.

1975 CJ-6 304 T15 Dana20 30/44 3.73
1983 CJ-8 258 T5 300 30/44 3.31 Looking for full or half hardtop buy or trade
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 4.6 stroker T5 300 30/44 3.31
1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep project in the works
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
only in a jeep cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2005, 08:12 AM   #5
390fastback
2000 XJ Cherokee 

YJ's have galvanized tubs, CJ's don't. Thats why most guys put YJ tubs on their CJ's
68 Wildcat (also in progress)
68 International 1200 4x4
78 F150 4x4 400 4spd
390fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2005, 08:11 AM   #6
SgtSnake

Just had to throw in that a LOT of YJ stuff can be used on a CJ, you just have to know which. My CJ has a YJ hardtop, fits great, but I have to mod the rear of the top where the hatch meets the tailgate, due to YJs having the side-swing tailgate, and CJs having the drop down. I have to go inside and open my tailgate to open the hatch..
Unread 10-11-2005, 11:47 AM   #7
JERSEYJOE
1985 CJ7 

CJ vs. YJ

First of all, right on Ed ( Only in a CJ),

I have a CJ with a Wrangler tub and love it. I converted my YJ tub's tailgate to look like a CJ and moved the fuel filler to CJ style. It's easier to put an AMC v8 in a CJ frame since the mounts bolt up. The wrangler has welded in mounts and some trial and error is needed IF you are going to run some big HP. If you are it's considered way cooler to use an AMC V* vs. anything else.

CJ' S RULE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Unread 10-11-2005, 11:50 AM   #8
JERSEYJOE
1985 CJ7 

CJ vs. YJ

First of all, right on Ed ( Only in a CJ),

I have a CJ with a Wrangler tub and love it. I converted my YJ tub's tailgate to look like a CJ and moved the fuel filler to CJ style. It's easier to put an AMC v8 in a CJ frame since the mounts bolt up. The wrangler has welded in mounts and some trial and error is needed IF you are going to run some big HP. If you are it's considered way cooler to use an AMC V8 vs. anything else.

CJ' S RULE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Unread 10-11-2005, 03:23 PM   #9
SgtSnake

Jersey Joe, I liked your post so much I had to read it twice!!

I'm also putting in a YJ airbox in my CJ , but there's an "extra" flap in the venting that I'm not sure of the reason for. it seems to have a see-thru tube that may close/open it with vacuum. I don't believe that was on the CJ one. I'll just keep it wired open til I can figure out how to use it.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.