differance between a spun axle or sheared key on AMC 20? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > differance between a spun axle or sheared key on AMC 20?

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 06-26-2010, 11:03 AM   #1
81cjproject
1981 CJ7 

differance between a spun axle or sheared key on AMC 20?

Ok well wheeling with the 33 inch tires on stock two piece axles heard a loud
bang but was still able to get out of the mud hole and get home on the one rear that was still driving and 4 high. However how do I figure out if I need to replace whole rear left side ( if I do I am going one piece) or if I just sheared the key as another has suggested? the reason is if I go to one piece I have to replace entire carrier group because previous owner looks to have welded it all together. for strength? the 3 screws to get the drum off are rusted in bad.

81cjproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2010, 11:22 AM   #2
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81cjproject View Post
Ok well wheeling with the 33 inch tires on stock two piece axles heard a loud
bang but was still able to get out of the mud hole and get home on the one rear that was still driving and 4 high. However how do I figure out if I need to replace whole rear left side ( if I do I am going one piece) or if I just sheared the key as another has suggested? the reason is if I go to one piece I have to replace entire carrier group because previous owner looks to have welded it all together. for strength? the 3 screws to get the drum off are rusted in bad.
When my axle spun on my 85 CJ7 I couldn't do ANYthing in 2WD. The PO had used a die grinder to expand the keyway in the hub, then he welded a bead on the spindle to match. That was the first of my plagues! You sure you have one rear wheel pulling?? Your PO welded the axle to the carrier??

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2010, 12:52 PM   #3
81cjproject
1981 CJ7 

well not the carrier but he welded the shafts together in the middle all the teeth and what not. it has 1 back right wheel pulling still I can turn the driveshaft by spinning right drum but if I spin left drum it just chirps / squeaks and does not spin the drive shaft I can go start it and drive around in 2 wheel rt now just fine though. for a quick fix I just cranked down on the nut on the end of the spindle and it got tight enough to allow the tire to turn the drive shaft as soon as I got it off the lift though driving away the fist gas I gave it it went right back.
Unread 06-26-2010, 02:16 PM   #4
81cjproject
1981 CJ7 

I don't plan on keeping this jeep alive I am looking for a cheap fix. I am in hawaii I deploy to afghanistan again soon and I am just going to beat the crap out of it and either part it or sell it if able maybe donate it to the blind if they want it. 81 cj7 that just has too many issues. and I don't have enough time.
Unread 06-26-2010, 02:21 PM   #5
slayer2000

If I'm reading your post right it sounds like the po welded the spider gears up. If that's so then you're sheared the key. The axle still turns under power but the flange and the wheel won't. I don't have a lot of experiance with cj7s(I'm looking for one now) but I've heard guys welding the flange and nut to the axle as a temperary fix to get home on.
slayer2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2010, 05:15 PM   #6
81cjproject
1981 CJ7 

thats what I think happened too however I can't find any info on replacing the key or removing the sheared one.
Unread 06-26-2010, 06:01 PM   #7
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayer2000 View Post
but I've heard guys welding the flange and nut to the axle as a temperary fix to get home on.
yup, put it should only be a temp fix...here's my write up on it with pictures

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/qu...un-hub-999835/

1975 CJ-6 304 T15 Dana20 30/44 3.73
1983 CJ-8 258 T5 300 30/44 3.31 Looking for full or half hardtop buy or trade
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 4.6 stroker T5 300 30/44 3.31
1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep project in the works
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
only in a jeep cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2010, 06:05 PM   #8
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

A sheared key should still result in a solid keyway (may be mildly distorted,) while a "spun axle" usually results from a destroyed keyway.

Typically, the key is a shade softer than what it's retaining, so the carry of spare keys wouldn't go amiss (7/10 you'll fix it with a new key - at least enough to get home and inspect the keyway more thoroughly.)

Remove by removing the flange, then tapping lightly with a small mallet and punch. The shaft side of the key should have a rounded base, and you can tip it by tapping down on one end. The flange side will tap straight out of the keyway. If the shaft uses a straight key, you may want to grind a punch tip into a narrow wedge to drive under one end of the key in the shaft and lift it out (but a Woodruff key is usually shaped like a capital letter D.)
Unread 06-26-2010, 11:36 PM   #9
OldSailor
1977 CJ7 

Sounds like you're ready for a set of one-piece axles, expecially since you're running 33's.
1977 CJ7, AMC360 V8 w/ headers, DUI HEI, Edelbrock intake, Holley 4150 carb, , TF999, D300, D30 front and AMC20 rear with 4.56 gears and lockers both ends, 4" susp lift, 2.5" body lift, 35" BFGs, ARG steering, 8000-lb winch, etc.
OldSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2010, 10:51 AM   #10
PavementPounder
Cool as Ice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSailor View Post
Sounds like you're ready for a set of one-piece axles, expecially since you're running 33's.

Yes.

<--- Click "Classifieds" under my avatar to see all my parts (mostly CJ & XJ) currently for sale on JeepForum!
PavementPounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2010, 02:04 AM   #11
81cjproject
1981 CJ7 

so I got drums off looking at hub how do I remove it to see the key / keyway? I think I just take the four bolts on the backside of it off but I need some help. I think it is just the key that is sheared though the axle shaft looks to be in good shape but the hub spins around it freely without turning the axleshaft. help any one?
Unread 06-29-2010, 04:24 AM   #12
Shasta69
1978 CJ7 

sorry, but my Jeep-Fo is weak...

i will add a hearty THANKS for your service and BE SAFE!

retired e8
Shasta69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2010, 04:10 PM   #13
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81cjproject View Post
so I got drums off looking at hub how do I remove it to see the key / keyway? I think I just take the four bolts on the backside of it off but I need some help. I think it is just the key that is sheared though the axle shaft looks to be in good shape but the hub spins around it freely without turning the axleshaft. help any one?
Remove the big nut on the end of the axle shaft and pull the hub off. If the hub spun and you've driven on it a bit you shouldn't need a puller. For what it's worth, I wouldn't bother even trying to replace the key. Usually once a hub is spun.......thats it. The key way doesn't really hold the hub in place anyway but rather just aligns the hub and shaft so their splines align correctly. It's the splines, taper and torque oof the large nut that keep everything mated together.
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2010, 03:37 AM   #14
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwhore View Post
Remove the big nut on the end of the axle shaft and pull the hub off. If the hub spun and you've driven on it a bit you shouldn't need a puller. For what it's worth, I wouldn't bother even trying to replace the key. Usually once a hub is spun.......thats it. The key way doesn't really hold the hub in place anyway but rather just aligns the hub and shaft so their splines align correctly. It's the splines, taper and torque oof the large nut that keep everything mated together.
Exactly!!
80cj is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.