diff carrier terminology & seals - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > diff carrier terminology & seals

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 05-02-2010, 07:21 AM   #1
CALOcruiser

1978 CJ7 

diff carrier terminology & seals

This may be a stupid question, but is the 'carrier' that you guys refer to pulling to do the inner axle seals the actual housing for the differential? Or are you referring to something internal that holds the gear assembly together?

I can't find a label for the 'carrier' in the exploded diagrams.

I thought I could do the inner axle seals without removing the housing, which would entail pulling the whole axle and disconnecting the drive-shaft. However, if I have to inspect the bearings on the pinion, I guess I have to pull the whole thing.

If I'm just removing the gears to clean and replace axle seals and possibly the differential bearings, can't I get by without pulling the whole thing? Looks like you can remove the bearing cap and pull the gear assembly out to get to everything.

base on these pics, should the whole thing be pulled to address the bearings from the pinion back to the axle yoke and seal?

diff_bearing_caps.jpg   diff_gear_sludge.jpg  
CALOcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2010, 11:57 AM   #2
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

The carrier is what the ring gear bolts to so that is what you are looking at it your pictures. You need to disassemble both front hubs all the way to where the spindle comes off. Then you can slide the axles out. Once the axles are out, take off the carrier bearing caps and use a small pry bar to pop the whole carrier out of the housing. From there you can clean and replace the axle seals. I would not remove the driveshaft or the pinion for any reason unless you are needing to replace pinion seal or bearing parts.

Clean off the parts and look for the stamps in the bearing caps and the housing. Make sure they don't get mixed up when going back together. You can see the letter A stamped into mine.
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2010, 07:23 PM   #3
CALOcruiser

1978 CJ7 

Gotcha. Thanks, I first thought the carrier was something to that effect. Then I came across a diagram from a Ford Bronco website that had an arrow pointing to the housing calling it the "carrier". that left me confused.

I already have the axles out, which is how I first noticed the sludge inside the differential. As far as I know, the pinion seal and bearings are okay. But then again, I didn't expect the differential to look like that. Each time I take something off, I find two more things I need to replace.

Can the crap in the differential have compromised the pinion bearings or seal from 'the inside out'? Thanks!
CALOcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.