Dies and wont start back up for 5-10 minutes - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Dies and wont start back up for 5-10 minutes

Iron Cross Customer JK and TJ Wrangler Bumpers now at ROCKZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 03-05-2012, 04:33 AM   #46
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

They are normally open solenoid so when the are grounded they close.

gmakra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2012, 12:16 PM   #47
outdoorguy86
1983 CJ7 

Just to close out this thread. Turns out it was a bad connection from the computer to the pin out. Coming to a stop and hitting a bump right would cause the connection to jiggle and send some sort of signal that would richen the mixture and flood it out. Solution was to replace the computer.
Colorado Jeep Club Member #2086

[COLOR="black"] /l , [/COLOR] [COLOR="Yellow"] [____],
l---L---OlllllllO-[/COLOR]
()_) ()_)=[COLOR="Yellow"]@[/COLOR]=)_)

[COLOR="Cyan"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/nicks-83-cj7-frame-off-build-1360039/"]My Build[/URL][/COLOR]
outdoorguy86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-10-2013, 01:34 AM   #48
outdoorguy86
1983 CJ7 

Turns out that wasnt the computer, because replacing that didnt last too long. I ended up replacing the tach filter, and that seemed to have done the trick. It can be ordered through Howell for $50. Just a heads up for anyone with a similar issue searching for a solution.

[COLOR="Cyan"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/nicks-83-cj7-frame-off-build-1360039/"]My Build[/URL][/COLOR]
Unread 06-26-2013, 11:20 PM   #49
scott78cj5
1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorguy86 View Post
Turns out that wasnt the computer, because replacing that didnt last too long. I ended up replacing the tach filter, and that seemed to have done the trick. It can be ordered through Howell for $50. Just a heads up for anyone with a similar issue searching for a solution.
Hi, thanks for posting a followup. Since it looks like this last post was only a couple weeks ago I thought I'd ask if the tach filter seems to be working out? I'm stumbling on acceleration from stop, and outright dying on hills (tbi). I'll start a new thread if I get into details, but was just curious here. By the way I'm in boulder too, you can find me parked on the hill on 93 south of marshall rd.
scott78cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2013, 12:08 PM   #50
outdoorguy86
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott78cj5 View Post

Hi, thanks for posting a followup. Since it looks like this last post was only a couple weeks ago I thought I'd ask if the tach filter seems to be working out? I'm stumbling on acceleration from stop, and outright dying on hills (tbi). I'll start a new thread if I get into details, but was just curious here. By the way I'm in boulder too, you can find me parked on the hill on 93 south of marshall rd.
Yeah the tach filter seems to be working. Taken it out wheeling a couple of times and drove it up to foco the other day.

Dying on hills is interesting for a tbi. For the stumbling id suggest checking your trottle position sensor. What tbi are yiu running?

Unread 07-02-2013, 02:56 PM   #51
scott78cj5
1978 CJ5 

Well this will give you a clue of what you are dealing with: I don't know. It was put in by High Performance 4x4 down in Englewood a couple years ago. Howell TBI is all I know, if you have a place I can look I can tell you. I mess with all sorts of stuff but haven't worked my way up to the fuel system yet. It would be like me though to take it apart as motivation for figuring out what I'm doing. The thing is, they just had it it a couple months ago, had electronic ignition added. At the time they checked the fuel pressure (has new pump at the time the tbi was put in), the sensors, codes etc. I can't say definitively though that this started happening after they had it. It was dying before that, just not in the same way. For example I was coming down from skiing at Eldora and it just died, no start. Then after a day it did. Other times it acted like vapor lock. Other times the idle would dip too low when pulling to a stop, but that seems to have been fixed. So what I need to do is take it back to them, but it's so freakin far from my house that I thought I'd look into it myself first. Plus the money. Actually money is the biggest block. Anyway I'm about to leave town for a month so it's gonna have to sit there. Where it is right now is that it seems to lose power under load, like when I take off from a stop or am going uphill in 2nd. To me that seems like not getting fuel so I was going to check the return and make sure it was flowing well (not creating back pressure). Also, since I'm here writing, I should have a vented gas cap? I don't right now. I wish it was something simple like those things, we'll see I guess. Thanks very much for your help. -scott
scott78cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.