Didn't preload T 176 when I rebuilt it. What now? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Didn't preload T 176 when I rebuilt it. What now?

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 08-27-2013, 11:23 PM   #16
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

A file may not cut. Those teeth are surface hardened.
Use a Hard Arkansas stone, and some oil. To clean-up only.
LG

Unread 08-28-2013, 04:21 PM   #17
Shlomi

Hmm well I took it apart, and cleaned the teeth nicely. Then, after replacing the tabbed thrust washer on the mainshaft I still
Have too much end play in the 3 rd gear synch hub. I was able to insert a 0.014 gauge in with little effort.
How could this be and how significant is it?
Shlomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2013, 03:40 AM   #18
Shlomi

Also noticed that the 1st 2nd synch hub has much play on the mainshaft. Don't know if it has anything to do with the end play issue.
Unread 08-29-2013, 08:22 AM   #19
shadoow
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shlomi View Post
I was able to insert a 0.014 gauge in with little effort.
How could this be and how significant is it?
what is the actual measurement?

What i did to 'adjust' this measurement was to use the thickest snap rings and/or tabbed thrust washer between the parts that were in the trans and those in the rebuild kit. I used a micrometer to measure the thickness of the these parts. Used the combination that will gave the thickest overall measurement (make sure any used parts are in serviceable shape). If using the thickest of the parts makes the measurement too small, then change some for thinner pieces until you get the measurement in spec.
shadoow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2013, 08:45 AM   #20
Shlomi

The filler gauge shouldnt be able to get in at all in the correct measurement, right? I need to check how much would not be insertable. If putting a 0.014 in there had little resistance, I beilve a 0.016 wont go in, more or less. By the way, if i lean the entire mainshaft assembly forward then all the slop vanishes, because the third gear pushes down.

I did use the thickest parts actually, and still got that result.
You say I should put inside there a second tabbed washer that would be thin enough? I cant see anything else that I can put, as snap rings cannot obviously be added,
and i dont know which points on the mainshaft determain the end play. For example, did you also have movement of the 1st and 2nd synch hub back and forth on the mainshaft? mine slides between its snap ring and a bump on the mainshaft that holds it into place from the other side.
Unread 08-29-2013, 09:52 AM   #21
shadoow
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shlomi View Post
The filler gauge shouldnt be able to get in at all in the correct measurement, right?
the end play measurement is a range of acceptable tolerances: .004-014" so a feeler gage of at least .004" but no more than .014" has to fit into the space between the snap ring and 3rd/4th gear shift clutch. The fit should be snug without forcing the feeler gage into the space.

[/QUOTE] By the way, if i lean the entire mainshaft assembly forward then all the slop vanishes, because the third gear pushes down.[/QUOTE]
as would be expected but this doesn't tell you anything....

[/QUOTE]You say I should put inside there a second tabbed washer that would be thin enough? I cant see anything else that I can put, as snap rings cannot obviously be added, and i dont know which points on the mainshaft determain the end play. [/QUOTE]

NO, I DIDN'T SAY TO PUT IN A SECOND TABBED WASHER. I said to use a thicker one, but only one goes in. Same for snap rings. You can only put one in, but use a thicker one if possible (i.e. it still will go into the snap ring groove).
As far as which points on the mainshaft determine end play this was covered in a previous post i made to you.

[/QUOTE]For example, did you also have movement of the 1st and 2nd synch hub back and forth on the mainshaft? mine slides between its snap ring and a bump on the mainshaft that holds it into place from the other side.[/QUOTE]

when i rebuilt mine i did all the measurements that are covered in the manual. I didn't 'investigate' any others cause there were no specs provided for them and so it would be meaningless. I'd focus on doing things as described in the manual and in the sequence of steps in the manual.
shadoow is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.