JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Jeep CJ Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/)
-   -   Did you know....CJ7's... (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/did-you-know-cj7s-827108/)

mtndew1 07-29-2009 08:00 PM

Did you know....CJ7's...

Did you know Cj7's in 1976 have 2 extra body mounts on the rear crossmember for a total of 4? (Aslo documented in the original 76 Jeep Service manual)

I wanted to start a post to gather and document all the weird differences between CJ7's of different years. Not only commonly known things like Wide Track vs Narrow, 5 bolts on the lockout vs 6, disc vs drum, Amc 20 or Dana 44 rear but also those weird things we all know Jeep did. For example my 1976 CJ7 came with what appears to be a CJ5 Grill or at least CJ5 style turn signals rather than the standard Cj7 Style lights. I know it came this way because it's always been in my family.

If you have something to share of know of another post that does describe differences between the years please post a link with a brief description.

If you have somethign new but are unsure go ahead and post anyway and perhaps we can find out if yours is unique or the PO was "creative".

CEW 07-29-2009 08:20 PM

This is going to be an interesting topic...

I have wondered about the tailgate/no tailgate thing with cj5's (and maybe cj7's). Does anyone have any info on why some 5's had gates and some didn't? Was it part of an option package? I heard one time that the the 5's without a tailgate were equipped with the "Renegade" package. Any ideas?

Pathkiller 07-29-2009 09:19 PM

The tailgate was always optional on the CJ-5. The early Renegades had the sold back panel but later on the Renegade package became strictly an appearance package and could be had with or without a tailgate.

What do you mean by "CJ-5 grill" or "CJ-5 style turn signals?" Do you mean they are the three-screw type which the pre-76 CJ-5 used? Because all 76+ CJ's had the same grill and turn signals.

wertyu78 07-29-2009 10:54 PM

this is going to be interesting....

HackFabrication 07-29-2009 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtndew1 (Post 7669181)
... For example my 1976 CJ7 came with what appears to be a CJ5 Grill or at least CJ5 style turn signals rather than the standard Cj7 Style lights. I know it came this way because it's always been in my family.

Really? (the CJ5/CJ7 grill part, not the family part).

John Strenk 07-30-2009 04:23 AM

Some CJ7 frames have an extra cross member between the rails. I don't know if the CJ5 frames have an extra one or not. 76 CJ 7 and 5 frames are not fully boxed but the 76 frames don't rot out on the ends because no mud builds up back there.

76 CJ5 frames also have 4 mounts on the back.

I've also notice a difference in the cutout for the front turn signals between 76 and later CJ's 76 are round and later ones have a notch cut out in them.

mtndew1 07-30-2009 09:43 AM

I've been looking for a Blank Shifter cover (no holes). All of the ones I find say they are for 80-86 CJ7 Only. Does anyone know what the difference is between 76-79 Shifter Covers and the newer ones?

Any other differences between the tubs over the years?

keith460 07-30-2009 09:51 AM

76-79 shifter covers are rectangular or almost square compared to 80-86 that are slightly longer and have a taper at the right rear section. All the earlier manual transmissions had top loading shifters and when AMC got a hold of the T4/5 transmissions, they had to extend the tunnel cutout and cover plate towards the rear in order to accommodate the rear mounted shifters.

bigjoe 07-30-2009 02:27 PM

Not sure if it's odd or not, I'm guessing it was an option, but my 77' 7 came with the spare mounted on the side of the tub.

only in a jeep cj 07-30-2009 11:50 PM

85 and 86 frames have an extra triangle reinforcement on the second to last X member in stead of the frame to body support bar that is common on the other years. The last of the 86 tubs have the small boxed channel that runs at the bottom of the tailgate (like in the YJ). Several grill designs were used as some of the headlight indents were seperate pieces tach welded from the rear....in about 82/83 they went to one peice stamped. There are 3 or 4 parking brake units used with small changes to each. 85/86 torx bolts are a little longer in the ones I've seen. CJs with factory AC had a flip up dash mounted ashtray where the non AC CJs had under dash slide out units. There are two types of OEM clocks...the all brass NON quartz units and the later QUARTZ units with the word on the face. The CJ-7 limited models came with pin switches on the doors to activate interior lights. They also had optional leather seats. I've only seen a picture, but the later CJs could have a protective Jack bag that slid over the jack/tire tool on the fender. I have two versions of the swing out tire rack, one is the common thick and thin square tubes and the other is a twin thick tube (it weighs more and can be seen with the plastic caps removed). There is different versions of the drivers side seat riser with different inward hole locations. .....I could go on all night.

CSP 07-31-2009 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtndew1 (Post 7669181)
For example my 1976 CJ7 came with what appears to be a CJ5 Grill or at least CJ5 style turn signals rather than the standard Cj7 Style lights.

Turn signal style is based on the year, not the model.

Pathkiller 07-31-2009 08:09 AM

75 and earlier had a cigarette lighter in the dash as an optional item, whereas 76+ it was located under the dash in its own little pod.

With vehicles that were produced for almost 50 years this list of yearly variations is almost endless.

Ziptie2k2 07-31-2009 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pathkiller (Post 7677371)
75 and earlier had a cigarette lighter in the dash as an optional item, whereas 76+ it was located under the dash in its own little pod.

With vehicles that were produced for almost 50 years this list of yearly variations is almost endless.

Actually the thread title is "CJ7" which only ran production for 11 years. But your point is still true.

The time now is 12:55 AM.