Did I say I hate Torx bolts. Want to replace them all - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Did I say I hate Torx bolts. Want to replace them all

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-27-2013, 02:01 PM   #16
Jester77
Rabidus Balatro

1985 CJ7 

I think I sway back and forth depending on the application. I generally replace most bolts with a Grade 8 replacement bolt in most applications that require strength or need to hold up under pressure/stress. Just a personal preference or a bad habit......depending on how you look at it. I use some stainless and some torx.

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." Wayne Gretzky
Jester77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2013, 05:47 PM   #17
cobrao4
1986 CJ7 

heating the head???

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellmax View Post
on those that I can not get to the nut with heat, each old jeep should come with it's own acetylene torch kit.

time and patience is a plus,

I have had some success with the following:

I heat the head of the torx bolt up to cherry red, then let it cool, do this 2/3 times. each time the heat travels down the bolt and expand inside the nut. normally this will break the bond between bolt and nut.

then as said before use the right size bit, I use my hand held im-pack wrench on the bolt head.

with each blow it upsets or shocks the bolt as it try's to turn the bolt at the same time.
if I can ever get the bolt to move, that means the rust bond is broken
then I try to get it out, if not then I coat it with a mixture of (acetone and automatic trans fluid, one of the best penetrating fluids out there). however very flammable!!!!!!!!!!!

if all this does not work then you have no option, but to drill it out, at least having the torx hole is a good place to start as it will hold you drill bit centered.

How do you manage to heat the head of the torx without damaging the part or the paint on the piece you are trying to take off? I guess if you're planning on painting it this might work!

I must say I like the look of the torx until a countersunk one is stripped and there is no way of getting behind it. I never thought of it as a theft deterrent but I guess if I can't get it out nor can someone else. At least not easily.

I was told by someone that the reason they used torx screws back then was because that was the only type on fastener that could be held by a robot. I have my doubts.

Yeah I would definately not use allen bolts as a replacement. I have as much trouble with them with the exception that I can usually get a vise-grip on the outside if its stripped

BTW, why are the t-bolts that fasten the rocker trim so expensive? $69 for 8 - 10 of them..... ouch!

Also agree, no impact tools on torx.

Glad I am not the only one with all these removal of bolt issues
cobrao4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2013, 12:04 PM   #18
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrao4 View Post
BTW, why are the t-bolts that fasten the rocker trim so expensive? $69 for 8 - 10 of them..... ouch!
Because they are so rare people can make money off of them. Either make your own or get some elevator bolts and use them. Both ways are much cheaper and work just as well.
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2013, 07:33 PM   #19
cobrao4
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade82 View Post
Because they are so rare people can make money off of them. Either make your own or get some elevator bolts and use them. Both ways are much cheaper and work just as well.
Thanks for the info. I will need to look up what elevator bolts are and hopefully use them.
Unread 05-06-2013, 08:00 PM   #20
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

You can get the correct size Elevator bolts from McMaster-Carr.com.

Replace these...

...with these,

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2013, 01:16 AM   #21
pazur
1981 CJ7 

The problem is not torx but material the OE bolt is made from, maybe grade 0 mild steel.

I would not touch it w/o impact gun and quality socket. Especially those holding overhead cage. Or protruding to window frame. Heating often makes more damage than help.
pazur is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2013, 10:05 AM   #22
Hawk4097
1986 CJ7 

I always replace them because the damn torx bits twist and are garbage. It's like using a phillips head for a big bolt. I intend to keep my jeep until I die so I Know it is very possible to need to get them off again down the road and the older it gets the harder they get to remove.
Hawk4097 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2013, 10:10 PM   #23
cobrao4
1986 CJ7 

Rocker bolt alternative

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith460 View Post
You can get the correct size Elevator bolts from McMaster-Carr.com.

Replace these...

...with these,
That's awesome. Not sure how much they are but Im guessing no where near the $69 they want for these on ebay. Thanks!!!!!!!
Unread 05-08-2013, 12:46 AM   #24
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrao4 View Post
How do you manage to heat the head of the torx without damaging the part or the paint on the piece you are trying to take off? I guess if you're planning on painting it this might work!......

.......Also agree, no impact tools on torx.
I use MAP gas which is hotter than propane and don't have paint issues. You only apply for a few seconds and stop. Wait a few and the heat penetrates. Repeat a few times. The factory paint can take a lot of heat before it burns. But small amounts at a time. WHY? Because there is a factory thread locker on these torx bolts and after 20 plus years its rock hard. The heat will soften it and the bolt will feel like butter coming out.

I disagree about not using impact guns on them. For me its the opposite, I prefer it. If your damaging bolts and bolt heads when you use an impact socket...your doing something wrong. The inside of the torx bolt must be free of debris. I often use a hammer to strike the socket and fully seat it in the bolt head. Unlike regular hand tools, the impact gun allows me to stay straight in line with the bolt, push straight in to keep the socket seated in, and spin it out faster and use the narrow window of time the heat allows for it to come out easy.

1975 CJ-6 304 T15 Dana20 30/44 3.73
1983 CJ-8 258 T5 300 30/44 3.31 Looking for full or half hardtop buy or trade
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 4.6 stroker T5 300 30/44 3.31
1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep project in the works
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
only in a jeep cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2013, 05:14 PM   #25
imafishingfred

1981 CJ7 

I hate dragging up an old thread, but where do you guys get the replacement torx fasteners from? I found the windshield frame fasteners in Essentials but I'm looking for the ones that hold the dash panel on.
imafishingfred is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2013, 05:21 PM   #26
titomars
1981 CJ7 

I got mine at Morris and Quadratec. I might have gotten a few on EBay too
This is the kinda whiny crap I would expect to see in the JK forum. We drive rough riding, leaking, gas guzzling CJ's. Rattle can it and throw it in your Jeep.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
1981 Jeep CJ7 258 4.0 HO head, T-5, D300, D30, D44, SOA
1994 Jeep XJ 4.0 HO, AX-15 (My Beater)
1946 Bantam T3-C (original Calif trailer, no rust)
titomars is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2013, 11:43 AM   #27
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Try McMaster-Carr. They have about any type fastener you need.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2013, 09:44 AM   #28
cobrao4
1986 CJ7 

Ebay had most of what I needed
Unread 09-28-2013, 10:06 AM   #29
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Like John, I replaced all of my dreaded Torx-head bolts with grade-8 stainless steel hex-bolts from ARP.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2013, 12:37 PM   #30
cj7ole
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
Like John, I replaced all of my dreaded Torx-head bolts with grade-8 stainless steel hex-bolts from ARP.

Matt
I didn't know that grade 8 and stainless were mutually inclusive. Good to know. According to ARP, their grade of SS is actually 20% stronger than grade 8. Common SS bolts are not much better than grade 2.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.