Did i just buy the wrong oil? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Did i just buy the wrong oil?

Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 02-26-2013, 04:58 PM   #1
highred
1979 CJ7 

Did i just buy the wrong oil?

The guy at CarQuest said that Bravo brand 95W GL4 gear oil is okay for my T150 tranny and Dana 20 transfer case. But I am beginning to think not. Seems like 95W is too heavy.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Rob Caldwell

highred is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2013, 10:49 AM   #2
CSP

Being in North Carolina it should be fine. It would be on the thick side if you lived in a colder climate.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2013, 10:59 AM   #3
Jester77

1985 CJ7 

I'm not so sure about that. I'm from Hendersonville, NC and I've lived in Denver, CO. Believe it or not, both have similar climates (with NC being much more humid). That might be a little on the thick side.

Just my 2 cents.

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take." Wayne Gretzky
Jester77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2013, 12:08 PM   #4
CSP

With the exception of the below zero temps which can go on for several days, right? My sister lives in Goldsboro NC and I'm quite positive that she's never had to plow the 4' tall snowdrifts that I had to plow this morning.
Unread 02-27-2013, 12:16 PM   #5
highred
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester77
I'm not so sure about that. I'm from Hendersonville, NC and I've lived in Denver, CO. Believe it or not, both have similar climates (with NC being much more humid). That might be a little on the thick side.

Just my 2 cents.
I live in Lake Lure, NC so we are neighbors!
Unread 02-27-2013, 01:12 PM   #6
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
With the exception of the below zero temps which can go on for several days, right? My sister lives in Goldsboro NC and I'm quite positive that she's never had to plow the 4' tall snowdrifts that I had to plow this morning.

And when was the last time you had to do that? I'm guessing 3-4 years ago. 50+ this weekend, you were wasting your time this morning!
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2013, 01:19 PM   #7
CSP

Notice I said this morning, as in today. Prior to that, two days ago on Monday morning. You guys up north don't get nearly the snow we get on the Palmer divide. These pictures were in my driveway at 10am today. My house is 1/2 mile from the road and it took almost three hours with a 5' wide PTO powered snowblower on the back of my tractor to get from the house to the road. It's the first time this winter since it's been pretty bleak for snow, but this is a regular occurence every winter if there's any wind involved. The county doesn't plow our private road and not being in a subdivision means we fend for ourselves to get to work and school.
drive2_13.jpg   road2_13.jpg  
Unread 02-27-2013, 01:36 PM   #8
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

I'll post up pictures of my place this afternoon, but we didn't get nearly as much (6" maybe, half of which has already evaporated - it'll all be gone by Sunday). This was, however, the worst we've had it all year.
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2013, 04:03 PM   #9
highred
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by highred View Post
The guy at CarQuest said that Bravo brand 95W GL4 gear oil is okay for my T150 tranny and Dana 20 transfer case. But I am beginning to think not. Seems like 95W is too heavy.
I just looked at the bottle again. It says EP90 (not 95). I wonder if it makes a difference using a EP gear oil or not. I am just nervous about using this oil. Other than knowing that I should use a GL4, I wish I knew what the correct oil is.
Unread 02-27-2013, 04:11 PM   #10
CSP

EP means Extreme Pressure, which is basically another way of saying GL5. It will have the sufurous additives which are corrosive to the brass synchros.

Another option is straight 50W motor oil. That may sound like a low viscosity number, but motor oil viscosity is measured differently than gear oil. I believe that a 50W motor oil is about equal to an 80W gear oil. You could go to a synthetic oil, which a GL5 would be ok since the synthetics don't have the sulfurous additives. Pennzoil Synchromesh is yet another possibility thats safe for the transmission (and tcase).

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.