Did I Get a Screaming Deal? - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Did I Get a Screaming Deal?

Hella Rallye 1000 Series 12-Volt/55-Watt Black Magic HalogFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Jeep Wrangler Hurricane Flat Fender Flare Kits for 2007-20

Unread 06-23-2013, 11:25 PM   #46
tomd922
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_long
Is anyone on here from AZ? According to what I've read, the Jeep wouldn't need to be smogged in AZ.

My parents have a house in AZ and I think that's my out! Their house is in Parker, and smog only applies to Tucson and Phoenix Areas. My only concern is the fact that I've already started the paperwork with CA. Can that be undone?
I would sell it to your parents for $1 and borrow it. Sounds like registering it in your name in a different state might be frowned upon.

tomd922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 05:56 AM   #47
PROJECT 23
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomd922

I would sell it to your parents for $1 and borrow it. Sounds like registering it in your name in a different state might be frowned upon.
Trying to beat the system in general is frowned upon as well. Like I said, do the right thing because karma is a bitc$!!
Unread 06-24-2013, 12:45 PM   #48
wm69

You could just move to a free state that isn't run by idiots.

Such a shame too. California is such a beatuiful state and the commies have ruined it.

Those long shackles look like Conferr. Good ones that are no longer made. FYI.

85 CJ7 258, A/C, T176, MC2100, Team Rush, Warn XD8000i, superwinch hubs, 3in lift 31" BFG AT/KO
wm69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 01:18 PM   #49
SLO_Ken
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomd922 View Post
Even driving a "borrowed" vehicle from another state is not legit. If the vehicle is physically in the state of California for more than 20 consecutive days, it must be registered in California.
SLO_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 02:15 PM   #50
titomars
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO_Ken View Post
Even driving a "borrowed" vehicle from another state is not legit. If the vehicle is physically in the state of California for more than 20 consecutive days, it must be registered in California.
There are only 2 situations where the residency law does not apply.
1.) Military personal on assignment in Calif. But are based in another state.
2.) Full time college students in school in Calif. but home is in another state.*

* this may have changed in the last few years.
This is the kinda whiny crap I would expect to see in the JK forum. We drive rough riding, leaking, gas guzzling CJ's. Rattle can it and throw it in your Jeep.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
1981 Jeep CJ7 258 4.0 HO head, T-5, D300, D30, D44, SOA
1994 Jeep XJ 4.0 HO, AX-15 (My Beater)
1946 Bantam T3-C (original Calif trailer, no rust)
titomars is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 02:42 PM   #51
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

That law also doesn't apply to folks on extended("snow-birds")vacations also.
LG
LumpyGrits is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 05:33 PM   #52
UBERK
1976 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO_Ken View Post
If the vehicle is physically in the state of California for more than 20 consecutive days, it must be registered in California.
FWIW, the burden of proof is on the state to show that its been in CA over 20 days.... it's not that hard to get around 1-2X. You would just need to consistantly try to stay one step ahead, but that will get old after ahwile.
UBERK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 08:02 PM   #53
titomars
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UBERK View Post
FWIW, the burden of proof is on the state to show that its been in CA over 20 days.... it's not that hard to get around 1-2X. You would just need to consistantly try to stay one step ahead, but that will get old after ahwile.
Well that's not difficult if you have a LEO that has a hard on for you or your vehicle.
This is the kinda whiny crap I would expect to see in the JK forum. We drive rough riding, leaking, gas guzzling CJ's. Rattle can it and throw it in your Jeep.
Unread 06-24-2013, 10:35 PM   #54
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by titomars View Post
Well that's not difficult if you have a LEO that has a hard on for you or your vehicle.
Fact X2
LG
LumpyGrits is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 11:35 PM   #55
tomd922
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROJECT 23 View Post
Trying to beat the system in general is frowned upon as well. Like I said, do the right thing because karma is a bitc$!!
Luckily Im in Oregon and dont need to worry about this crap but I can tell you one thing, If I had to move to California for some unforseen reason I would rather cheat the system and drive my Jeep than not drive it at all. If I got caught, I would respectfully pay the fines but until then, It would be on the road one way or another.
tomd922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 03:55 AM   #56
jp360cj
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by titomars View Post

Here in the USA. At least in California and Nevada. The vehicle has to pass emissions equipment and test levels for the model year is was produced. As in this case it is a 78 so it has to have all equipment that was installed in 78 and pass emissions level for that same year.

No if he were to swap with a newer model engine it has to pass emissions for the model year of the engine. The law reads with an engine swap the emissions level of the newest will be required either car or engine.
Not exactly true about the "here in the USA" part. Emissions & inspections vary by state and sometimes even within a state.

In NC, only certain counties have to pass emission tests. They are mostly in and around the larger metropolitan areas. I have never had any vehicle undergo emission testing, and my 77 is now exempt from the yearly safety inspection.
Unread 06-25-2013, 06:31 AM   #57
Nafpu
2012 KK Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomd922 View Post
Luckily Im in Oregon and dont need to worry about this crap but I can tell you one thing, If I had to move to California for some unforseen reason I would rather cheat the system and drive my Jeep than not drive it at all. If I got caught, I would respectfully pay the fines but until then, It would be on the road one way or another.
And it is this mentality that bites people in the hind quarters when they go to buy a vehicle from an area without smog laws, and take it back to their home county where there are smog laws. I know, I should have been more attentive, but cutting the cats off is illegal in any locality, regardless of what your county says.

OP, you have some options:
1. Sell it
2. EFI
3. Motor swap
4. Track down the emissions stuff needed to restore it to the factory configuration

Don't try to skirt the law, it'll lead to much bigger headaches down the road.
Nafpu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 09:16 PM   #58
Tigerjeep79

1979 CJ7 

While not cheap (what, two grand installed?), the Howell TBI might be your easiest and quickest route to pleasing the smog Nazis. My wife has suggested moving there a few times lately for economic reasons. I just can't. I'm a law-abiding normal guy in Nevada, but in California I'm an instant criminal (you know, Jeep & guns). That's just wrong. California is a beautiful state that has been ruined by corrupt politics. The bastids don't deserve the great weather, mountains and beaches.
Tigerjeep79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 09:45 PM   #59
titomars
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerjeep79 View Post
While not cheap (what, two grand installed?), the Howell TBI might be your easiest and quickest route to pleasing the smog Nazis. My wife has suggested moving there a few times lately for economic reasons. I just can't. I'm a law-abiding normal guy in Nevada, but in California I'm an instant criminal (you know, Jeep & guns). That's just wrong. California is a beautiful state that has been ruined by corrupt politics. The bastids don't deserve the great weather, mountains and beaches.
Native Californian here. I moved to Nevada back in '87. I spent 10 years in the Silver state and loved my time there. But the winters are too cold in Clark county. Besides Clark and Washoe have the exact same smog program as California!! So I moved back to a warmer winter climate.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.