Did I Get a Screaming Deal? - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of 59 Old 06-23-2013, 11:25 PM
tomd922
Registered User
1986 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Lebanon
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by t_long
Is anyone on here from AZ? According to what I've read, the Jeep wouldn't need to be smogged in AZ.

My parents have a house in AZ and I think that's my out! Their house is in Parker, and smog only applies to Tucson and Phoenix Areas. My only concern is the fact that I've already started the paperwork with CA. Can that be undone?
I would sell it to your parents for $1 and borrow it. Sounds like registering it in your name in a different state might be frowned upon.

tomd922 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #47 of 59 Old 06-24-2013, 05:56 AM
PROJECT 23
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomd922

I would sell it to your parents for $1 and borrow it. Sounds like registering it in your name in a different state might be frowned upon.
Trying to beat the system in general is frowned upon as well. Like I said, do the right thing because karma is a bitc$!!
PROJECT 23 is offline  
post #48 of 59 Old 06-24-2013, 12:45 PM
wm69
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 3,900
You could just move to a free state that isn't run by idiots.

Such a shame too. California is such a beatuiful state and the commies have ruined it.

Those long shackles look like Conferr. Good ones that are no longer made. FYI.

85 CJ7 258, borla header, Team Rush, MC2100 ,optima batt, Warn 8274, agr super box 2 & pump, T5 w/ B&M shifter, centerforce 2, superior 1 piece axles, warn hubs 2.5 in lift, 31" BFG MT

85 CJ7 258, A/C, T176, MC2100, Team Rush, Warn XD8000i, superwinch hubs, 3in lift 31" BFG AT/KO
wm69 is offline  
post #49 of 59 Old 06-24-2013, 01:18 PM
SLO_Ken
Registered User
1986 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: California
Posts: 1,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomd922 View Post
I would sell it to your parents for $1 and borrow it. Sounds like registering it in your name in a different state might be frowned upon.
Even driving a "borrowed" vehicle from another state is not legit. If the vehicle is physically in the state of California for more than 20 consecutive days, it must be registered in California.
SLO_Ken is offline  
post #50 of 59 Old 06-24-2013, 02:15 PM
titomars
Registered User
1981 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Santa Rosa
Posts: 1,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO_Ken View Post
Even driving a "borrowed" vehicle from another state is not legit. If the vehicle is physically in the state of California for more than 20 consecutive days, it must be registered in California.
There are only 2 situations where the residency law does not apply.
1.) Military personal on assignment in Calif. But are based in another state.
2.) Full time college students in school in Calif. but home is in another state.*

* this may have changed in the last few years.

1981 Jeep CJ7 4.0 HO, AX-15, D300, D30, D44, SOA
1977 Chevrolet C/10 step side 454 TH400 3.73 posi
titomars is offline  
post #51 of 59 Old 06-24-2013, 02:42 PM
LumpyGrits
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: The Mojave Desert - Palmdale, Ca. U.S.A.
Posts: 5,892
That law also doesn't apply to folks on extended("snow-birds")vacations also.
LG
LumpyGrits is offline  
post #52 of 59 Old 06-24-2013, 05:33 PM
UBERK
Registered User
1976 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: 480
Posts: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO_Ken View Post
If the vehicle is physically in the state of California for more than 20 consecutive days, it must be registered in California.
FWIW, the burden of proof is on the state to show that its been in CA over 20 days.... it's not that hard to get around 1-2X. You would just need to consistantly try to stay one step ahead, but that will get old after ahwile.
UBERK is offline  
post #53 of 59 Old 06-24-2013, 08:02 PM
titomars
Registered User
1981 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Santa Rosa
Posts: 1,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by UBERK View Post
FWIW, the burden of proof is on the state to show that its been in CA over 20 days.... it's not that hard to get around 1-2X. You would just need to consistantly try to stay one step ahead, but that will get old after ahwile.
Well that's not difficult if you have a LEO that has a hard on for you or your vehicle.

1981 Jeep CJ7 4.0 HO, AX-15, D300, D30, D44, SOA
1977 Chevrolet C/10 step side 454 TH400 3.73 posi
titomars is offline  
post #54 of 59 Old 06-24-2013, 10:35 PM
LumpyGrits
Registered User
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: The Mojave Desert - Palmdale, Ca. U.S.A.
Posts: 5,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by titomars View Post
Well that's not difficult if you have a LEO that has a hard on for you or your vehicle.
Fact X2
LG
LumpyGrits is offline  
post #55 of 59 Old 06-24-2013, 11:35 PM
tomd922
Registered User
1986 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Lebanon
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by PROJECT 23 View Post
Trying to beat the system in general is frowned upon as well. Like I said, do the right thing because karma is a bitc$!!
Luckily Im in Oregon and dont need to worry about this crap but I can tell you one thing, If I had to move to California for some unforseen reason I would rather cheat the system and drive my Jeep than not drive it at all. If I got caught, I would respectfully pay the fines but until then, It would be on the road one way or another.
tomd922 is offline  
post #56 of 59 Old 06-25-2013, 03:55 AM
jp360cj
Registered User
1977 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Greenville
Posts: 1,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by titomars View Post

Here in the USA. At least in California and Nevada. The vehicle has to pass emissions equipment and test levels for the model year is was produced. As in this case it is a 78 so it has to have all equipment that was installed in 78 and pass emissions level for that same year.

No if he were to swap with a newer model engine it has to pass emissions for the model year of the engine. The law reads with an engine swap the emissions level of the newest will be required either car or engine.
Not exactly true about the "here in the USA" part. Emissions & inspections vary by state and sometimes even within a state.

In NC, only certain counties have to pass emission tests. They are mostly in and around the larger metropolitan areas. I have never had any vehicle undergo emission testing, and my 77 is now exempt from the yearly safety inspection.

77 CJ-7- AMC 360, Edelbrock cam, MC2100, Fenderwells, CJ T18/D20, Chevy D44/EB 9" rear, Trutrac f/r, 4.11, SOA, 1.25 lift shackles, 35x12.50 BFG KM2s, Shackle Reversal
jp360cj is offline  
post #57 of 59 Old 06-25-2013, 06:31 AM
Nafpu
Registered User
2012 KK Liberty 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tigard
Posts: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomd922 View Post
Luckily Im in Oregon and dont need to worry about this crap but I can tell you one thing, If I had to move to California for some unforseen reason I would rather cheat the system and drive my Jeep than not drive it at all. If I got caught, I would respectfully pay the fines but until then, It would be on the road one way or another.
And it is this mentality that bites people in the hind quarters when they go to buy a vehicle from an area without smog laws, and take it back to their home county where there are smog laws. I know, I should have been more attentive, but cutting the cats off is illegal in any locality, regardless of what your county says.

OP, you have some options:
1. Sell it
2. EFI
3. Motor swap
4. Track down the emissions stuff needed to restore it to the factory configuration

Don't try to skirt the law, it'll lead to much bigger headaches down the road.

95 YJ, gone...
80 CJ7, gone...
12 KK, still here...
Nafpu is offline  
post #58 of 59 Old 06-26-2013, 09:16 PM
Tigerjeep79
Registered User
1979 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 507
While not cheap (what, two grand installed?), the Howell TBI might be your easiest and quickest route to pleasing the smog Nazis. My wife has suggested moving there a few times lately for economic reasons. I just can't. I'm a law-abiding normal guy in Nevada, but in California I'm an instant criminal (you know, Jeep & guns). That's just wrong. California is a beautiful state that has been ruined by corrupt politics. The bastids don't deserve the great weather, mountains and beaches.
Tigerjeep79 is offline  
post #59 of 59 Old 06-26-2013, 09:45 PM
titomars
Registered User
1981 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Santa Rosa
Posts: 1,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerjeep79 View Post
While not cheap (what, two grand installed?), the Howell TBI might be your easiest and quickest route to pleasing the smog Nazis. My wife has suggested moving there a few times lately for economic reasons. I just can't. I'm a law-abiding normal guy in Nevada, but in California I'm an instant criminal (you know, Jeep & guns). That's just wrong. California is a beautiful state that has been ruined by corrupt politics. The bastids don't deserve the great weather, mountains and beaches.
Native Californian here. I moved to Nevada back in '87. I spent 10 years in the Silver state and loved my time there. But the winters are too cold in Clark county. Besides Clark and Washoe have the exact same smog program as California!! So I moved back to a warmer winter climate.

1981 Jeep CJ7 4.0 HO, AX-15, D300, D30, D44, SOA
1977 Chevrolet C/10 step side 454 TH400 3.73 posi
titomars is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome