Did I Get a Screaming Deal? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Did I Get a Screaming Deal?

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 06-22-2013, 10:01 AM   #31
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Is that a stock intake manifold?

I'm just thinking. I got a complete 80 258 with all emission stuff on it. It would be so easy just to swap the intake and exhaust....

John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2013, 10:17 AM   #32
Niteshooter
1986 CJ7 

Just curious but what kind of smog laws did CA have back in 78? Does it have to be retrofitted to current laws or to those in effect in 78? Reason I ask is that my 86 never had a cat, it wasn't required back in 86 in Ontario Canada. I realize that each country/province/state has different smog laws but mostly just my idle curiosity.

The 'cover' on your shifter looks, um, er well rather interesting......
Niteshooter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2013, 11:45 AM   #33
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

NS, retro fit to yr made. Unless he goes FI and then I'm not sure what the Ca. law is.
The VERY BEST thing the OP can do now. Is a full FI switch. That will cost $$$$, it's the only way to go now.
Most of the smog crap you need, can't be found.
BTW, OP you bought the Jeep out of state......The smog issue is 110% all yours and yours alone.
You really should have done far more research........
LG
LumpyGrits is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2013, 01:06 PM   #34
t_long

TITOMARS: I had a feeling you were going to say that. Considering all of the missing parts, I'm looking pretty seriously into the swap option. Actually, I just got off the phone with junk yard that was recommended by someone earlier. Question- will that motor bolt up to my T18? Also, why do you say 91-95? I am willing and able to do the swap, but I want to make sure I know that I have all of the right parts and information first.

I found something on Craigslist. Check this out: http://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/ptd/3883361911.html

SLO_Ken: Fair assessment. As I'm weighing my options, I'm thinking how nice it would be to have some more power. My CJ smokes a little bit, which concerns me, regardless of what the odometer says. I recently changed the PCV valve, hose and grommet, and it cut the smoke by about 85%. It's also leaking oil. I'd originally thought from the valve cover gasket, but it seems it's coming from somewhere else. On top of all that, I would need a stock exhaust system.

Long story short, I think a swap might be the best option. One of the things that drew me to the original equipment is the simplicity, but the feeling I'm getting is that it's going to end up being more expensive and less efficient than doing a swap.

Anyone looking to buy a 258?
t_long is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2013, 01:14 PM   #35
t_long

Never mind. Found some good swap articles!
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/4-...e-swap-455084/
Unread 06-23-2013, 07:24 PM   #36
t_long

Is anyone on here from AZ? According to what I've read, the Jeep wouldn't need to be smogged in AZ.

My parents have a house in AZ and I think that's my out! Their house is in Parker, and smog only applies to Tucson and Phoenix Areas. My only concern is the fact that I've already started the paperwork with CA. Can that be undone?
Unread 06-23-2013, 07:47 PM   #37
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

You had better git an AZ dl too.
Ck your "6" on do'n this as it is called FRAUD, which is a felony in Ca.
LG
LumpyGrits is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 08:20 PM   #38
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

^^truth^^

You're asking for more problems than just with the air board.
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 08:40 PM   #39
PROJECT 23
1985 CJ7 

Sorry, but I can't stand when people try to beat or work the system. Do the right thing......
PROJECT 23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 09:21 PM   #40
UBERK
1976 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_long
Is anyone on here from AZ? According to what I've read, the Jeep wouldn't need to be smogged in AZ.

My parents have a house in AZ and I think that's my out! Their house is in Parker, and smog only applies to Tucson and Phoenix Areas. My only concern is the fact that I've already started the paperwork with CA. Can that be undone?
That is correct. Only Maricopa (Phoenix) and Pima (Tucson) Counties require emissions, unless vehicle is registered as historic, collector or pre-'68.

Unsure if you need a DL to register a vehicle, but proof of residency will be required...lease agreement from your parents...hint hint.

Or, title-register it under their name in AZ, just add you as an insured driver.
UBERK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 09:56 PM   #41
SLO_Ken
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_long View Post

Doesn't matter if it's registered in another state, or if you are a resident of another state. From the CA DMV website...

Quote:
Fees must be paid within 20 days of entry or residency to avoid penalties. Any vehicle owned by a California resident must be registered within 20 days of entry into California unless a special permit was obtained. Nonresidents whose vehicles are properly registered to them in their home state or jurisdiction may operate their vehicles in California until they:

Accept gainful employment in California.
Claim a homeowner's exemption in California.
Rent or lease a residence in California.
Intend to live or be located here on a permanent basis (for example, acquire a California driver license, acquire other licenses not ordinarily extended to a nonresident, registered to vote).
Enroll in an institution of higher learning as a California resident or enroll their dependents in school (K-12).
When I was in college, I knew more than a few non-resident students who were stopped by CHP for driving with out-of-state plates.

So, unless you intend to not work, live, vote, or enroll yourself or your kids in school in the state of California, you're going to have to register it...
SLO_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 10:17 PM   #42
SLO_Ken
1986 CJ7 

Oh, one more thing... you need to pay those DMV registration fees within 20 days of bringing the vehicle into the state, or late fees will start accumulating.
Unread 06-23-2013, 11:03 PM   #43
titomars
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niteshooter View Post
Just curious but what kind of smog laws did CA have back in 78? Does it have to be retrofitted to current laws or to those in effect in 78? Reason I ask is that my 86 never had a cat, it wasn't required back in 86 in Ontario Canada. I realize that each country/province/state has different smog laws but mostly just my idle curiosity.

The 'cover' on your shifter looks, um, er well rather interesting......
Here in the USA. At least in California and Nevada. The vehicle has to pass emissions equipment and test levels for the model year is was produced. As in this case it is a 78 so it has to have all equipment that was installed in 78 and pass emissions level for that same year.

No if he were to swap with a newer model engine it has to pass emissions for the model year of the engine. The law reads with an engine swap the emissions level of the newest will be required either car or engine.
This is the kinda whiny crap I would expect to see in the JK forum. We drive rough riding, leaking, gas guzzling CJ's. Rattle can it and throw it in your Jeep.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
1981 Jeep CJ7 258 4.0 HO head, T-5, D300, D30, D44, SOA
1994 Jeep XJ 4.0 HO, AX-15 (My Beater)
1946 Bantam T3-C (original Calif trailer, no rust)
titomars is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 11:17 PM   #44
titomars
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_long View Post
TITOMARS: I had a feeling you were going to say that. Considering all of the missing parts, I'm looking pretty seriously into the swap option. Actually, I just got off the phone with junk yard that was recommended by someone earlier. Question- will that motor bolt up to my T18? Also, why do you say 91-95? I am willing and able to do the swap, but I want to make sure I know that I have all of the right parts and information first.

I found something on Craigslist. Check this out: http://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/ptd/3883361911.html
yes a 4.0 will bolt to a T18. You have to use the 258 bellhousing, starter, spacer plate, clutch disc, flywheel, and pressure plate. but you will have to use a Hesco crank position sensor kit. it mounts on the front crank dampner instead of running off the flywheel/bellhousing.
91 to 95 is OBDI and the best package to use. Also the head design on these are considered superior to all other 4.0 heads.
87 to 90 used a hybrid MPI called a Renix it was a combination of Renault and bendix. this system was garbage.
96 on uses OBDII computer systems are not as simple and self contained as the OBDI.
This is the kinda whiny crap I would expect to see in the JK forum. We drive rough riding, leaking, gas guzzling CJ's. Rattle can it and throw it in your Jeep.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
1981 Jeep CJ7 258 4.0 HO head, T-5, D300, D30, D44, SOA
1994 Jeep XJ 4.0 HO, AX-15 (My Beater)
1946 Bantam T3-C (original Calif trailer, no rust)
titomars is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 11:43 PM   #45
SLO_Ken
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumpyGrits View Post
You had better git an AZ dl too.
Ck your "6" on do'n this as it is called FRAUD, which is a felony in Ca.
LG
California Highway Patrol actually has a website setup to report suspected fraudsters...

http://www.chp.ca.gov/prog/cheaters.cgi

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.