Did I Get a Screaming Deal? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Did I Get a Screaming Deal?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAttention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rock

Unread 06-10-2013, 02:34 PM   #1
t_long

Did I Get a Screaming Deal?

Hey guys, I'm Tyler, first time poster here. I've been reading on here for a couple of weeks now because I just bought my first CJ7! Just wanted to first say thanks for all of the information you guys share. It's already been a HUGE help.

In something of a leap of faith, I bought the Jeep on eBay. The description was very vague, but I did a lot of reading before pulling the trigger, and surmised that it had all of the "right" stuff, but I want to run it by all of you and see what you think. Here's what I got:

-'78 CJ7 w/a 258
-T18A 4-speed trans I THINK (reverse is upper right)
-Weber 32/36 DGEV carb
-Long tube headers
-4" (I think) suspension lift on 35" BFG MT

Not sure which transfer case I got, but I have 2 shifters. My understanding is that a lot of people add the shifter to the Dana 20, but I'd like to know what you guys thing.

The odometer reads 46K miles. I THINK that's how many have been clocked since it was restored. The guy I bought it from didn't know a whole lot. It feels pretty tight mechanically though.

Only downfalls: the tires need to be replaced, like now, and it's not running too hot. I think that's because there was about a 6K foot elevation change from where it was to where it is now. Need to dial in the carb, but I think I'm going to take it to a carb guy after I get it smogged and registered.

And I paid.......... $3,800 (plus shipping, tax and license).

First of all, what do you guys think of all of that!?

Second, I've been looking at tires, and I'm thinking of going 33s because of the lack of power. What do you guys think?

dsc01492.jpg   img_2799.jpg   img_2801.jpg   img_2813.jpg   img_2814.jpg  

img_2815.jpg  
t_long is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2013, 02:47 PM   #2
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

I like the seats.

33"s would be better for power.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2013, 02:54 PM   #3
robs7
1983 CJ7 

Congrats! Have fun with it! Rob
robs7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2013, 03:13 PM   #4
Mr_Ranger
1978 CJ5 

You might have trouble getting it smogged. Is it from another state?
Mr_Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2013, 03:19 PM   #5
t_long

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ranger View Post
You might have trouble getting it smogged. Is it from another state?
I was wondering about that. Yes, it's from Idaho. What do you know about the smog requirements with these things?
Unread 06-10-2013, 03:23 PM   #6
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

^^ditto^^ I don't pretend to know CA's laws, but in parts of Colorado those headers would be a no-go.
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2013, 03:31 PM   #7
Mr_Ranger
1978 CJ5 

If your intentions are to get it registered in California, you'll need all the original equipment meant for a California based Jeep. That's exhaust manifold, catalytic converter, smog pump, carb, etc.
Mr_Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2013, 04:19 PM   #8
Nereussailor
1984 CJ7 

I'll give you $3801 for it right now!!!
Unread 06-10-2013, 04:40 PM   #9
Tigerjeep79

1979 CJ7 

I think the Commiefornia smog experience will make you insane. Try to keep a cool head though, and be aware there could be some investment in your future. It might be cost effective to get into fuel injection.

On the plus side, the T18 is a jewel, and the rig looks to be in good shape. And yes, 33s will help. 35s are power suckers and (in my opinion) look weird on narrow-track CJs.
Tigerjeep79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2013, 07:24 PM   #10
Oily
1985 CJ7 

No. You did not get a screaming deal. You got ripped off. If was rich I would absorb your loss. The best I can do is half price.
I live in Nigera. I hope that won't be a problem. Just send me your bank account information and I will wire you the funds (while I am wired, ).
Congrats, looks nice. Now you are officially an addict.
Oily is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2013, 07:25 PM   #11
WNC-84CJ7
1984 CJ7 

drop those bumpers homey- those things look heavy! your shifter makes your jeep look...excited.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"
-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334
WNC-84CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2013, 08:27 PM   #12
t_long

Thanks guys. I've been reading about how to get it through smog now. I'm hoping that I can find a shop that doesn't know anything about CJs. Going to keep looking.
Unread 06-10-2013, 08:51 PM   #13
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Screaming deal, I'm not sure. I'm seeing a door with no handle. Some really flat springs for 4" of lift, (on the front) and I'm afraid to ask for a picture of the spring shackles in the front. How does it drive a 45+ mph? I ask because of the angle I'm seeing of the front differential cover, and what looks like a large space between the front of the front spring and the frame.

image-3227756224.jpg
For reference these are 2.5" lift springs, with a shackle 1" longer than stock,(1/2") lift.

image-1313110054.jpg

On the plus side, It sounds like a T18, but with reverse to the right and up, it would be a 1B not a "A". Both came with a Dana 20.
The intake appears to be a Clifford, not certain though. For sure '78's I don't believe came with a aluminum manifold.

I'm not trying to diss your purchase. Just pointing out some things.

Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2013, 09:18 PM   #14
t_long

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucdog View Post
Screaming deal, I'm not sure. I'm seeing a door with no handle. Some really flat springs for 4" of lift, (on the front) and I'm afraid to ask for a picture of the spring shackles in the front. How does it drive a 45+ mph? I ask because of the angle I'm seeing of the front differential cover, and what looks like a large space between the front of the front spring and the frame.

Attachment 636514
For reference these are 2.5" lift springs, with a shackle 1" longer than stock,(1/2") lift.

Attachment 636533

On the plus side, It sounds like a T18, but with reverse to the right and up, it would be a 1B not a "A". Both came with a Dana 20.
The intake appears to be a Clifford, not certain though. For sure '78's I don't believe came with a aluminum manifold.

I'm not trying to diss your purchase. Just pointing out some things.

Bill
Bill, thanks for the feedback. As for the door handles, the previous owner had them shaved and now it has remote entry. Stupid, but I can deal with it. I was guessing at the lift. I only said that because of the tire size. Newbie mistake. It does, however, fit in an 8' garage.

The intake manifold it an Offenhauser. I found that out yesterday after cleaning the motor up. As for driving above 45, I haven't gotten there yet. Trying to figure out all this smog stuff before I go about doing that. From what the previous owner said though, it's a little squirly. How would I fix that? Leaning process here
Unread 06-10-2013, 09:23 PM   #15
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

It looks like you may have a bit of work to do if it needs to be as per original spec to pass smog. However nothing too expensive as all those parts can be found and in 1978 vehicles were a lot simpler to work on.

Is your fuel filter on right? It needs to be horizointal with the fuel return pipe at the 12 o'clock position. This will aid running. Also those 35s will be slowing it down, check the axle ratios and consider whether 31s or 33s would make it more driveable.

It does not look like a highly original time machine or a highly upgraded rig, just an old CJ7. The price you paid is therefore about right and you should be able to have some real fun getting it just how you like it as there is nothing you have to keep original. It looks like a wiser buy than splashing out on expensive stuff you will then change.

A good start, welcome to the addiction. Now Just Empty Every Pocket.

Whether it is a SCREAMING DEAL depends on how much patience you have when you find the bills mounting.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.