Did heater core, and blower motor upgrade, no fan now. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Did heater core, and blower motor upgrade, no fan now.

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-07-2009, 08:12 PM   #1
Blthomas
1979 CJ7 

Did heater core, and blower motor upgrade, no fan now.

I hate to make 5 threads about all my issues, but figured they are separate items, so I'll go with it.

Swapped the old heater core two weeks back, and got the blower motor upgraded.

My other fan worked, but since I was there, I did the swap.

Now, I have no fan. The fuse is good under the dash, it's only got the one wire for pete's sake, what could be the deal?

Now that I have it assembled, can I test it with straight 12v from the battery?

I'm having issues with my lights right now in another thread, be nice if I could nail this down too.

Thanks very much for all the help.

Unread 02-07-2009, 08:50 PM   #2
Mike78cj7
1978 CJ7 

If your fan worked before you upgraded your new fan isn't grounded. But you should still check the wire feeding the fan before you go tearing it apart.
If you don't have a test light or meter try like you said and run a wire directly to the fan to see if that works. If not then it's a bad ground. If it does work it's the switch.
Mike78cj7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2009, 12:13 AM   #3
kickingprop
1985 CJ7 

yeah the fan uses the firewall as a ground....so if it doesnt have good contact for a ground its going to be worthless. I'd go check the ground by touching a jump wire from the portion sticking out of the firewall in the engine bay to a solid ground and see if it works.
Phase Three: Waggy 44 front, Scout D44 Rear, 4.56's, ARB's (F/R) SOA with YJ Springs, 35x12.50x15 BFG MT - Not Even Close to beginning

Also a mostly rust-free 1970 Scout 800A That I'll get to start working on someday...

Quote:
Chrome won't get you home...BUT Rattle Can Black may just get you back"
kickingprop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2009, 04:41 PM   #4
Blthomas
1979 CJ7 

Hmmmmm. I had to cut the fire wall like most guys that did mod, problem is my hole was enormous. After I cut it, I was like damn! I guess I miss marked it when I drew the circle.

So I thought I would use some cork gasket and some RTV and seal it up. My rig is more function than looks.

Think all my RTV has somehow killed the ground?

I guess I'll tear it apart tomorrow if I can get my wiring fixed on my lights.

Thanks for the thoughts.
Unread 02-08-2009, 04:50 PM   #5
BioTex
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Might be easier to add a ground wire/strap.
Use a self tapping screw on the outer housing after you sand off a clean spot. Put some solid #10 wire under it, and then to ground elsewhere. If it works, I'd go with it.
06' TJ Rubicon, 4" R.C. springs, BFG/AT 35s M.C. 6" fenders, rockers and surrounds, Currie front & rear adj. tracbars, tattons DC rear shaft, adj. upper - lower CA's. Bilstein 5100's
YJ Buggy Build Current project. Stroker/FI ?
1990 MJ Comanche 4.0L AX15/np231
BioTex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2009, 04:51 PM   #6
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Got a lot of those self drilling , self tapping screws? I got a box of them myself.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2009, 06:16 AM   #7
Oily
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blthomas View Post
I had to cut the fire wall like most guys that did mod, problem is my hole was enormous. After I cut it, I was like damn! I guess I miss marked it when I drew the circle.
So I thought I would use some cork gasket and some RTV and seal it up. My rig is more function than looks.
Think all my RTV has somehow killed the ground?
NO. It does not ground there. In fact, it does not ground directly to the firewall. The heater motor bolts to the blower motor/heater core housing which bolts to the firewall (those four studs going into the engine bay). You should be able to put a ground wire on any of those bolts to keep from making another screw hole.
Oily is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2009, 07:34 AM   #8
Blthomas
1979 CJ7 

Thanks, I'll try that and see how it goes. I need to test the positive too, although like stated above it worked fine a couple weeks back.
Unread 02-09-2009, 10:31 AM   #9
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

You know, I think I'm getting his lights issues mixed up with his heating issues.
Unread 02-10-2009, 11:09 AM   #10
Blthomas
1979 CJ7 

Might be. I picked up some self tapping screws, and new studs for the rear lights last night.

I'm going to try and knock this stuff out the next day or two.
Unread 02-10-2009, 11:13 AM   #11
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

See, I did get the threads mixed up.
Unread 02-10-2009, 12:47 PM   #12
texasdave

1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
See, I did get the threads mixed up.
John your age is starting to show
texasdave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2009, 07:54 PM   #13
Blthomas
1979 CJ7 

All set now, after putting a new ground strap on the bolt, and trying to jump it, I was thinking maybe I got a bad fan motor.

I decided to check the fuses, although when looking at them with the flashlight they looked OK the other day.

Well the fan fuse, one peg was completely whitened from age/corrosion.

New fuse in and the fan came on and about blew me out of there.

Crossing this off the list and moving forwards. Thanks for all the help.
Unread 02-13-2009, 03:00 AM   #14
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blthomas View Post
All set now, after putting a new ground strap on the bolt, and trying to jump it, I was thinking maybe I got a bad fan motor.

I decided to check the fuses, although when looking at them with the flashlight they looked OK the other day.

Well the fan fuse, one peg was completely whitened from age/corrosion.

New fuse in and the fan came on and about blew me out of there.

Crossing this off the list and moving forwards. Thanks for all the help.
Well Thats great! Congradulations

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
John your age is starting to show
WHAT? SPEAK UP SONNY!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.