Diamond plating - rear corners - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Diamond plating - rear corners

8.8 Swap Kit w/ TRUSS for JeepsPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Reply
Unread 08-13-2003, 12:03 PM   #1
diggs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Morristown, NJ
Posts: 32
Diamond plating - rear corners

Does anyone have close-up pics of diamond plating on the back corners on a CJ? I need to see how close to the tailgate they come. Here's the reason:

My tire holder pulled through the body (PO put reinforcing plates on the other spots, but forgot this one):



So I was thinking about getting the tear smoothed out, then putting the diamond plating on to make sure it won't rust. Also, how does the diamond palte stick to the corners? Screws or adhesive?

TIA. diggs.

__________________
1986 CJ-7

Green Jeep Club Member #49
diggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2003, 12:25 PM   #2
xxxflhrci
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: South
Posts: 3,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by diggs
Does anyone have close-up pics of diamond plating on the back corners on a CJ? I need to see how close to the tailgate they come. Here's the reason:

My tire holder pulled through the body (PO put reinforcing plates on the other spots, but forgot this one):



So I was thinking about getting the tear smoothed out, then putting the diamond plating on to make sure it won't rust. Also, how does the diamond palte stick to the corners? Screws or adhesive?

TIA. diggs.
I don't have any close ups, but I have put them on. They will cover up your damage. They are held on mainly by your tail light bolts and tire carrier hardware. I riveted mine in a couple of places.
xxxflhrci is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2003, 02:01 PM   #3
diggs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Morristown, NJ
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxflhrci
I don't have any close ups, but I have put them on. They will cover up your damage. They are held on mainly by your tail light bolts and tire carrier hardware. I riveted mine in a couple of places.
Thanks xxx...I'm not planning on putting the tire carrier back on, so will the bolts for the tail lights be enough. i was thinking of also sealing the plating so no water can get behind it. How close to the tailgate does your plate go? If you can tell from the picture, the tear is right on the edge of the body before the tailgate starts. I'm not sure if this will get covered or not.

Thganks. diggs.
__________________
1986 CJ-7

Green Jeep Club Member #49
diggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2003, 02:43 PM   #4
xxxflhrci
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: South
Posts: 3,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by diggs
Thanks xxx...I'm not planning on putting the tire carrier back on, so will the bolts for the tail lights be enough. i was thinking of also sealing the plating so no water can get behind it. How close to the tailgate does your plate go? If you can tell from the picture, the tear is right on the edge of the body before the tailgate starts. I'm not sure if this will get covered or not.

Thganks. diggs.
The holes will be in the diamond corners for th tire carrier. Just stick some stainless bolts in 'em. I wouldn't worry about sealing behind them. Just clean any rust off of your body and prime it. The edge on the ones I put on came all the way to the tailgate jamb.
xxxflhrci is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2003, 04:46 AM   #5
Scrambler82
Registered User
1982 CJ8 
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Boston Area
Posts: 3,594


The stock Jeep tire carrier mounting point s@#ks period, so the best thing, if the coin is available, is to replace the bumper and have a tire carrier attached to the bumper.
Use the diamond plate to cover up the damage, use windshield sealant to seal the panels around the edges and in the screw holes, unless you intend to remove them for cleaning once in a while then the sealant will be a pain in the a$$.

Some say the sealant is not necessary and maybe so, but I found the metal will rust under them unless you can seal out the water.

LOL,
__________________
Scrambler82

Do it right the first time !
Scrambler82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2003, 12:35 PM   #6
xxxflhrci
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: South
Posts: 3,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by NnF


The stock Jeep tire carrier mounting point s@#ks period, so the best thing, if the coin is available, is to replace the bumper and have a tire carrier attached to the bumper.
Use the diamond plate to cover up the damage, use windshield sealant to seal the panels around the edges and in the screw holes, unless you intend to remove them for cleaning once in a while then the sealant will be a pain in the a$$.

Some say the sealant is not necessary and maybe so, but I found the metal will rust under them unless you can seal out the water.

LOL,
I view sealing more as holding water in. Unless you can be absolutely sure that it is sealed tight, you have to worry about water getting back there and being trapped.
xxxflhrci is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2003, 02:09 PM   #7
MR.CJ-7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Sandy, UT
Posts: 502
I would agree with sealing holding in water. What about condensation from temperature changes? Wouldn't that create water even if it was sealed tight? I want to put some corners on, but I am wondering what to do about the water/ rusting issue.
__________________
Former CJ'er
MR.CJ-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2003, 05:42 PM   #8
jeffs77CJ5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: NC
Posts: 55
I just riveted my on. I am not sure about the sealant issue. I had to bore holes for the tail lights as well as cut out for the gas filler. There would be a lot to seal out. It would appear to me that as long as the water drains out then it shouldn't be a problem. The sides of my corner pieces hit about the seam edge on the back. Mine doesn't have a tail gate. You can take a look at my website I think I have a few pic's there that might help you out. I'm not sure if the pic is close enough of not.
Jeff
jeffs77CJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2003, 08:25 AM   #9
Scrambler82
Registered User
1982 CJ8 
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Boston Area
Posts: 3,594


OK, so I could be wrong !

The pieces I used on the Ranger along the lower part of the body appeared to work OK, no rust but the condensation thing is something to think about.

LOL,
__________________
Scrambler82

Do it right the first time !
Scrambler82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.