Detroit Locker VS. Full Spool in a Rear Axle - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Detroit Locker VS. Full Spool in a Rear Axle

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 04-20-2014, 07:43 PM   #1
78FordF150
1983 CJ7 

Detroit Locker VS. Full Spool in a Rear Axle

I have never ran a Detroit Locker before and was wondering about the characteristics in the rear of a Jeep.

Now I do have quit a bit of experience with spools in the rear of a CJ5 that had full width axles, 35in Boggers, and 5.38 gears. When going around a corner or turning sharp the tires would squeal a little but not unbearable and defiantly drivable.

Now my present dilemma is I put a full spool in my current CJ7 with a narrowed Ford 9in (58in wide) with 35in BFG KM2's and the tires are chirping like crazy. Even going through a roundabout they were squealing. When trying to backup they are binding up and trying to make the springs hop.

So I'm thinking the difference between the longer wheelbase, and narrower rear end is making the scrub radius substantially different between the two Jeeps.

So will the Detroit locker ratchet around a corner and when backing up enough to justify the $500 price.

Paint it to match

My NP435 install [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/time-tranny-swap-upgrading-np435-1487201/[/url]
78FordF150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2014, 07:54 PM   #2
HackFabrication
1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78FordF150 View Post
So will the Detroit locker ratchet around a corner and when backing up enough to justify the $500 price.
To be brief, yes. The price? That's your call.
Unread 04-20-2014, 08:02 PM   #3
78FordF150
1983 CJ7 

$500 bucks is cheaper than a $1200 ARB.

Have any experience with the Grizzly lockers?
Paint it to match

My NP435 install [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/time-tranny-swap-upgrading-np435-1487201/[/url]
Unread 04-20-2014, 08:03 PM   #4
BlueRubiconrich
1986 CJ7 

a Detroit as well as a lunchbox locker will unlock to a point,a spool will not.
Your call.
BlueRubiconrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2014, 08:09 PM   #5
78FordF150
1983 CJ7 

A little info on my setup here. I'm currently running a narrowed 9in with a Yukon nodular third member 4.56 gears, and a 35 spline Moser spool and axles. No lunch box locker is available for this setup. Its either Detroit, Grizzly, or ARB.
Paint it to match

Unread 04-20-2014, 08:28 PM   #6
CSP

A friend of mine is the owner of a highly respected local 4x4 shop as well as Crane Hi Clearance (diff covers, knuckles, etc). He recommends the Grizzly over the Detroit. His point is that it seems every few years the ownership of Detroit changes hands and so does the design and replacement parts. You can't get parts for a Detroit made 10 years ago. Not that the Detroit is likely to break, but it happens. He's had very good experiences with the reliability of Grizzly in his own rigs as well as customers as well.

That spool is very hard on the axleshafts.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2014, 08:38 PM   #7
78FordF150
1983 CJ7 

Is the locker going to disengage when going around a corner in a JEEP? My buddy has a Detroit in his stock F350 crewcab 4x4 single wheel and that thing wheel hops and bangs and clangs when ever he doesn't have any weight in the bed. That's why I think it might not ratchet in the Jeep because of not enough weight.
Paint it to match

Unread 04-20-2014, 08:43 PM   #8
JCJeep97
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I love the Detroit in my TJ, but I also had a spool in my CJ-5 (actually, the spiders were welded - same net effect). Hands down I'd take the Detroit every day if it's a daily driver. The driveability around sharp corners with the spool was somewhat annoying since the tires would squeak and hop. I only notice occassional quirks with the Detroit - about once every two weeks it will pop, and it will jerk around very sharp turns in parking garages if you take the corners unreasonably fast.

I'd lean towards a Detroit if it's in the budget, spool it only if you're broke like me.
Unread 04-20-2014, 08:53 PM   #9
78FordF150
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCJeep97 View Post
I love the Detroit in my TJ, but I also had a spool in my CJ-5 (actually, the spiders were welded - same net effect). Hands down I'd take the Detroit every day if it's a daily driver. The driveability around sharp corners with the spool was somewhat annoying since the tires would squeak and hop. I only notice occassional quirks with the Detroit - about once every two weeks it will pop, and it will jerk around very sharp turns in parking garages if you take the corners unreasonably fast.

I'd lean towards a Detroit if it's in the budget, spool it only if you're broke like me.
Thanks for the input.

Its already spooled. In fact I just put it in and I'm not happy with it. This thing drives nothing like my old five did. I will be changing this out for sure. Don't really have the funds for an ARB right now. Hence the questions about drivability with the Detroit.

I'm assuming the Grizzly and the Detroit will have the same road manners?
Paint it to match

Unread 04-20-2014, 09:08 PM   #10
JCJeep97
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks for the input.

Its already spooled. In fact I just put it in and I'm not happy with it. This thing drives nothing like my old five did. I will be changing this out for sure. Don't really have the funds for an ARB right now. Hence the questions about drivability with the Detroit.

Yep, pretty annoying to be spooled/welded IMO.

I would assume that the Detroit and Grizzly are about the same. I run heavy gear oil (Lucas 85W-140) which keeps my Detroit and Spartan lockers much quieter than they were with the 80W-90.
Unread 04-20-2014, 10:18 PM   #11
RedNeckCorvette
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Thanks for the input.

From what I understand the more recent Detroit has a softer lockup and unlock than it had years back. The older models do kick around a bit in the corners and do it hard enough in a light Jeep you know it is back there and you never forget it is back there, especially on a road trip. We put one in my sons CJ5 he wishes the technology of the selectable OX was available back then.

If it were me and I hope not to offend anyone, I would save the money and choose something else, If you are buying new, I would like to mention the OX- locker. I have one in my CJ7 and love it. You can engage on the fly and not cause any damage. Properly set up they work flawlessly. The beauty of a selectable is you have the best of both worlds, on demand Locked or Unlocked.

There are no seals to ware out inside the OX cable lock, No need for air! Unless you would rather run an air switch rather than a cable, It is available. So is an electrical switch system. OX will work either of the three ways.
If you brake a line or cable on the trail just unbolt what is there and install the Drive away lock. Yes It's a bunch of money you spend once, but it will hold up real well long after the money is forgotten. Here is a link http://www.ox-usa.com/ Take your time, look around.
Red Neck
RedNeckCorvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2014, 09:36 AM   #12
78FordF150
1983 CJ7 

Well I have spent the last couple hours looking for a selectable locker for the 9 inch and ARB is the only game in town. I think if I dropped another $1200 on this project right now the wife would kill me. Lol...

Looks like Grizzly or Detroit is my only option if I want a true locker. As a lunch boc locker isn't available in 35 spline.
Paint it to match

Unread 04-21-2014, 11:02 AM   #13
RedNeckCorvette
1979 CJ7 

78FordE150 - I can't believe Chris does not have an OX for a 9'' Ford. That was a surprise.
RN
Unread 04-21-2014, 11:29 AM   #14
78FordF150
1983 CJ7 

From what I have read sounds like there isn't enough room in the carrier. Evidently ARB's design is smaller in general than everyone else's.

Would like to here some more opinions on a Detroit style locker in a CJ on how they ratchet around a corner in a light weight vehicle.
Paint it to match

Unread 04-21-2014, 12:22 PM   #15
RedNeckCorvette
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
From what I have read sounds like there isn't enough room in the carrier. Evidently ARB's design is smaller in general than everyone else's.

Would like to here some more opinions on a Detroit style locker in a CJ on how they ratchet around a corner in a light weight vehicle.
I can only tell you about the the Detroit locker we put in by sons rig in the 1980s. He is still running it to this day.

Detroit Eaton has Since improved or softened the set up by using lighter springs. I have no Idea just how much difference this makes in a jeep. Prior to the change I was told that in a 3/4 ton vehicle it could still be felt, in larger trucks it becomes more negligible. If someone is in the passenger seat of your jeep you will hear from them -a light occasional jolt and - What was that? Again this it the older version that uses stiffer springs.
You might enjoy reading the reviews on you tube.
Red Neck

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.