Delco alternator R-wire for what? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Delco alternator R-wire for what?

Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdPoison Spyder JK LED Taillight Wiring HarnessZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 03-13-2010, 05:50 AM   #1
Intruder66
1961 CJ5 

Delco alternator R-wire for what?

Hello,
I have a question about the resistancewire of a CJ alternator. My Cj was sometimes converted from inline 6 to AMC 360, and still has the original brown resistance wire with I think 15 ohms installed. I know that I have a Delco alternator but what one?
Why iis the resistancewire a must have or an diode som Jeep Hammer writes? I have a Diode but cant find out how many Ohm they has. I have a Multimeter but most of the time it not showen some thing only some times it shows shortly some thing. Must I use a ground wire on that alternator housing?

The second question I have is, is that a original Fusible Link with an original cable connection?

Is there maybe someone who uses PayPal and would send me on advance payment, a new Fusible link and a diode from Radio Shack P / N 276-1143, in a letter to me? The fusible link I get here, unfortunately, not at all and then I desert with the diode that I would have the right one.
THX & greetings Mario

Intruder66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2010, 06:26 AM   #2
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

It should be a AC Delco 10 or 12 si, JeepHammer may know how to tell for sure.

The resistance wire 'or' a diode is needed so the alternator can't backfeed power into the wiring harness keeping the engine going after the key is shut off. Diodes stop reverse power by nature, they only let DC volts go one way so they don't need a resistance level.

Later CJ's just hooked this resistance wire to the coil power line so the alternator turns on the same time as the coil does. Some earlier ones used a warning light on the dash for power. I think JeepHammer has those schematics.

EDIT: Found them http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ne...6/#post7113856

Your stock fuse link wires look proper and not worn out. They have to be crimped at their ends, solder can damage the wire properties. If you want new ones, most garages will sell you a foot or two of fuse link wire that you can just crimp into place. They have it around to replace blown ones. You will want 14 ga. fuse link wire.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)

Last edited by Mike Romain; 03-13-2010 at 07:01 AM..
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2010, 08:24 AM   #3
Intruder66
1961 CJ5 

Hi Mike,
you're back at home? Thank you for your info, but the Fusible link I get here in DK, unfortunately, nowhere, have already asked a few places. Maybe we should even talk about it since. Yes Jeep Hammers Schematic I found too.

If I understand You correctly then, I only need a diode with a passage direction (no special resistance required). I can then use a normal cable, terminals it together to the diode (as on JH) photo shown. Thats I then conclude with a only "RUN" switched cable. Is that right? Thx Mario
Unread 03-13-2010, 08:45 AM   #4
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Put a hose clamp on that heater hose!

You have a Delco Remy 10 SI alternator.
It's internally regulated, and very common even in Europe.

Send me a PM with your address and we'll try to get you the correct parts, or you can pick them up locally at any electronics store.

--------------------------------------------------

IS this the diagram you are referring too?

If so, a simple 15 Ohm, 1/2 Watt Resistor or Diode will work where the diode is shown in the diagram.

Diode blocks ALL reverse current to the ignition wires that excite it,
While a resistor just knocks the voltage back enough it can't charge the ignition system backwards.
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2010, 09:24 AM   #5
Intruder66
1961 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepHammer View Post
Put a hose clamp on that heater hose!

You have a Delco Remy 10 SI alternator.
It's internally regulated, and very common even in Europe.

Send me a PM with your address and we'll try to get you the correct parts, or you can pick them up locally at any electronics store.

--------------------------------------------------

IS this the diagram you are referring too?

If so, a simple 15 Ohm, 1/2 Watt Resistor or Diode will work where the diode is shown in the diagram.

Diode blocks ALL reverse current to the ignition wires that excite it,
While a resistor just knocks the voltage back enough it can't charge the ignition system backwards.

Ok,thanks a lot.
Yes thats the Diagram I would like to use. I have a new Diode so I will use it and no resistor. So it should be ok. Its only that with the fusible Link. I go on Mandag again to a shop and hope to get one. I have installed brand new wiring in the hole car, and then I dount like that littel old short piece (Fusible Link) there. I wount to made everything new, so I am sure that it will work for many years again.

Ok,thanks a lot & greetings Mario

PS.:Yes I will put a hose clamp on that heater hose, if I fill the cooling water. But you have seen it well.
Unread 03-14-2010, 06:30 AM   #6
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepHammer View Post

Hey JeepHammer, you show a 12 awg fuse link wire. In stock form, the CJ uses a 10 ga for the alternator power and a 14 ga fuse link. Do you find the 14 ga limits too much or???
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Unread 03-14-2010, 06:38 AM   #7
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intruder66 View Post
Hi Mike,
you're back at home? Thank you for your info, but the Fusible link I get here in DK, unfortunately, nowhere, have already asked a few places. Maybe we should even talk about it since. Yes Jeep Hammers Schematic I found too.
Yup home again with the CJ stripped down to the pistons already... Got her out of the bush, she just chewed through all the snow no problem.

So I wonder what they use over there to protect automotive wiring harnesses? Pretty sure my Austin Minis had them. Some kind of protection is needed in case of a short circuit. I have seen folks use a large slow blow fuse in place of the fuse link, but I think that may not handle the surges needed.

Almost all the vehicles over here use these fuse link wires that attach at the first connection the battery cable makes, usually at the starter solenoid/relay or power distribution block.

Maybe we are using a totally different term for it? Something like trunk for boot in the UK?
Unread 03-14-2010, 07:28 AM   #8
Intruder66
1961 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Romain View Post
Yup home again with the CJ stripped down to the pistons already... Got her out of the bush, she just chewed through all the snow no problem.

So I wonder what they use over there to protect automotive wiring harnesses? Pretty sure my Austin Minis had them. Some kind of protection is needed in case of a short circuit. I have seen folks use a large slow blow fuse in place of the fuse link, but I think that may not handle the surges needed.

Almost all the vehicles over here use these fuse link wires that attach at the first connection the battery cable makes, usually at the starter solenoid/relay or power distribution block.

Maybe we are using a totally different term for it? Something like trunk for boot in the UK?
Hi,
That we use here other stuff as your there, we had already with my brake line topic. If I need new parts, I can only buy Original at Jeep and so on. But then even the entire wiring harness, and not just the Fusible Link. As i know vi will use her a big slow Fuse instead that Fusible Link. But that I have a problem with, because we sometimes have a high humidity, and an extra fuse in the engine compartment, the moisture is exposed to, I do not like. Certainly Iam will also get something somewhere her or in Germany, but the problem is to find out where. So if i can find someone over there,who would send Me a fusible link, it would be the quickest and easiest way for me to get one. I think you go after the wire strength there at you? We are using very different wire strengths than your wires use, so it is difficult to find something suitable to. If you use a 10 ga wire vi have a thinner or a mutch bigger one and so it is with all the wire diameter. If anyone has an address where I can order from over here and were they will ship to Europe, I'm also very happy with. Greetings Mario
Unread 03-14-2010, 08:41 AM   #9
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Mario, I looked at the old photos and remembered that you bought a 'new' wiring harness for your Jeep. This should have come with 'some' way of hooking it all to the battery you would think, but I see in the directions it says to add your own.

I will make a couple phone calls around tomorrow and see if I can get you a couple feet of it and let you know. We also have really good automotive heatshrink around here that has heat activated epoxy inside it so it makes a 'real' waterproof connection over a crimp joint. Do you have such over there or should I look for a few pieces of that also?
Unread 03-14-2010, 08:47 AM   #10
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Mike,
12 Ga. MAXIMUM,
Most vehicles have a 14 Ga.

I use a lot of 8 Ga. wire on higher amp alternators, that's where the 12 Ga. fusible link comes in.
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2010, 08:57 AM   #11
Intruder66
1961 CJ5 

Hi Mike,
yes i got a new wire set for the Jeep, but not that for the alternator. Som other things I've changed the wiring for the rear lights, side front marks, etc...
So if you will do that for me and look if you can get som thing that will work there, I will be realy very Happy Mike. Thx and Greetings Mario

Ps.: You have strippet the CJ ... wow sounds like you are realy ok again. Thats fantastik. So we will get more new Pics of the stripping down and build up on your Photobook again....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.