Defrost Duct - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Defrost Duct

Bilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and CStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 11-23-2013, 07:36 AM   #1
bugb
1974 CJ5 

Defrost Duct

Model: 1974 cj5 I6 26,000 Original Miles

I have a couple questions about the defrost duct, I left the Jeep with the wife yesterday and I received a very "pleasant" phone call about the "lovely rattlin death trap that does't even have defrost" from her.

this is the duct I'm asking about http://www.quadratec.com/products/32560_00.htm

1.How many ducts do I need? one,two or twenty?
2.Do I need to remove the dash panel to instal them?
3.Do the upgraded ducts really work?
4. Is there anything else I should look at replacing to help improve the defrost ability of my Jeep?

Last edited by bugb; 11-23-2013 at 07:36 AM.. Reason: subscribe
bugb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2013, 07:57 AM   #2
strvger01
1966 CJ5 

well, you only need 2 of them, one for pass side and one for driver's side. also replace the hose/duct that goes to each of them. easy to find at your local car parts place.
it's easier to do if you can lower the windshield, otherwise it all should be accessible under the dash. not always easy to get up under there, but can be done.
while you're about it, might as well check the heater core for leaks, that the heater motor is spinning without any rattles, the hoses and clamps are not leaking, and that the heater/air intake is free and clear of any debris that might be restricting air getting into it.
good luck to you for sure.
Unread 11-23-2013, 08:30 AM   #3
bugb
1974 CJ5 

Thanks, heat works fine but the motor does have a little rattle on startup.
Unread 11-23-2013, 08:55 AM   #4
ScroungerLee
1986 CJ7 

Unless something is different because it is older, I only needed one of them for my '86. It goes from the flexible accordion tube up to the center below the windshield.

I installed mine an easier way, but afaik I cheated. I folded down the windshield, worked the duct up from beneath the dash being gentle with the wiring, and screwed down into it from above. I used self tapping screws right into the holes in the plastic duct. Tighten by hand, and use the correct size screws, you don't want to crack or strip out the plastic! The duct I got was fairly soft plastic so the screws bit into it easily and it ended up being tightly mounted.

I really don't know if screwing down from the top beneath the windshield is the original way they are mounted, bit it worked perfectly for me.

Don't forget to order the accordion tube if you don't have one.
ScroungerLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2013, 08:45 PM   #5
jco6560
1970 CJ5 

x2 - this is exactly how I did mine as well. Not sure what the heater is exactly in the 1974, but there are two upward hose connections on the pre 72 ones and only 1 is used for the defrost duct connection. The one closer to the driver side is covered or plugged. Again not sure exactly what might be different by 1974, but the plastic duct you show is the same as mine. Flop down the windshied and mount from top - a second set of hands helps hold the duct up under the dash while you screw in.
jco6560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2013, 09:07 PM   #6
macjnga
1979 CJ7 

Check to see what the lines running to vents look like, might be cracked or have fallen off.

Also might want to look into doing the blazer blower motor upgrade
macjnga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2013, 12:06 PM   #7
bugb
1974 CJ5 

Thanks guys, I have ordered up a couple ducts (just to be safe) and I just now need to find a buddy that will let me use his garage for a Saturday.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.