decided to sell my CJ7 project.. moving and dont have time/money to complete - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > decided to sell my CJ7 project.. moving and dont have time/money to complete

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAlloy usa heavy duty ball joint kits

Unread 01-19-2015, 04:25 PM   #1
smbundy13
2012 JK Wrangler 

decided to sell my CJ7 project.. moving and dont have time/money to complete

well, as the title says, I have decided to sell my '84 CJ7... I have run out of patience for the continued issues that keep popping up.. it is a project that has spiraled out of control... so, I am just wondering what yall think I should ask for it..

it is an '84 CJ7 wide track that originally had the AMC 4 cyl with T4.
I have the following:
newly rebuilt 350 from a '93 Chevy
newly rebuilt SM465 trans with the novak adapter to the dana 300 already installed.
GM bellhousing setup for hydraulic clutch
full painless pre terminated harness in the box
new brake hardline kit in the box.
the original frame ('84)
a "new" frame from an earlier CJ7 that is painted and has the eastwood rust preventative coating on the inside.
factory low back seats (kind of ripped up but salvageable)
bestop high back seats
4" rough country lift with 33x12.50 pro comp ATs on black pro comp wheels.
black fiberglass half doors
new gas tank skid plate
new poly gas tank
a power disc brake master cylinder, booster, mount to convert my manual brakes
new clutch master cylinder

I also have the factory (uncut) harness as well as various odds and ends.

I have at least $800-1,000 in the trans alone and almost that much in the engine.

the body has some problem areas but the only thing that would keep you from rolling along are some body mounts that need to be repaired (at the body shop right now getting that done)..

for pictures of it, visit my build post.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/84...oject-2016921/

I just want to know what yall think it would be worth? honestly.. I could part it out and sell everything separately but I am moving several states away in a couple months and between then and now, I will be working upwards of 80 hours per week... so I don't have that time...

thanks.

smbundy13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2015, 09:48 AM   #2
smbundy13
2012 JK Wrangler 

nobody has constructive input?
Unread 01-20-2015, 09:57 AM   #3
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Yes I'm sure allot of us have some ideas on price but I doubt any of them will meet your expectations. I know that's blunt but take a look at this. Most cases like yours are basic basket cases. There's allot of parts there which the new owner may find useful and may not. What you deem to be worth one thing and consider it worthy to keep another person may not or vise versa. Also you're behind the 8 ball on time. You've got 2 months to move this out. That is already putting you at a disadvantage. I have a feeling if you still have this and have to get rid of it at the last minute you'll be taking far less than you'll want.

Now what you could do is store your parts somewhere for future use. We all get burned out on these projects and at times they do look like we've taken on too much. Give yourself some time and maybe your interest will renew. On the other hand if you are certain you want to sell it if I were you I'd either settle for a low lump sum price for it all or hurry up and start listing those parts here in the classified ads or somewhere like ebay or craigslist. You'll put more work into selling it by parting it out but you'll likely end up with more cash in your pocket.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2015, 10:05 AM   #4
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Well.... Not likely what you want to hear, but it isn't worth much as a pile of untested parts. Unknown engine condition and unknown tranny condition to start. Many "rebuilds" fail in the first 100 miles. Personally I prefer a good low mileage used engine to a rebuilt one.
A painful harness to put in, rusted tub, unknown used frame. Just speaking from experience I bought a "pretty looking" blasted and coated frame with the insides galvanised and my gas tank fell out within a year, both shock towers have cracked the frame, engine mounts have cracked the frame, etc. No off road at all, just from street driving. I got burned bad. It was paper thin or it was crystallized from corrosion. My CJ is now only a yard Jeep, no more on the street until I find another frame.
I wish you luck selling it, but it might be better to rent a trailer and just take it with you. I doubt I would pay $1000.00 for it.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2015, 10:48 AM   #5
bradleybrb

1975 CJ5 

I feel for you, but I am afraid Jim and Mike are right. When I was building my '75 I bought one about like yours from a guy. He had it on Craig's list for a while I guess. His wife was on him to get it gone. He had taken it apart to re-build it. It had a good frame, fiber glass tub, fenders and hood, new gas tank, 4" lift and several other things not to mention a 304, T-150 transmission, Dana 44 rear end and so on. He had the motor in the frame, but didn't have a way to crank it. All I had was his word that it ran good and I had never met the guy before so I wasn't so sure about his word. I paid him $900 for it. I felt really bad for the guy, but he was happy to get rid of it and to get his wife off his back. I think it would have helped him a lot if the motor could have at least been where he could crank it.
bradleybrb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2015, 11:07 AM   #6
smbundy13
2012 JK Wrangler 

thanks for the information guys.. I appreciate it. I understand that it is worth a lot less as a pile of parts than put together..
Unread 01-20-2015, 05:30 PM   #7
imafishingfred

1981 CJ7 

Where in Alabama are you located? If its not too far I may know some guys here in mid Ga. that might be interested. 1st thing they'll want to know is HOW MUCH $$$.
imafishingfred is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2015, 07:06 PM   #8
smbundy13
2012 JK Wrangler 

Ok sent.
Unread 01-20-2015, 07:26 PM   #9
Erik719

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbundy13 View Post
well, as the title says, I have decided to sell my '84 CJ7... I have run out of patience for the continued issues that keep popping up.. it is a project that has spiraled out of control...
Said every single CJ owner in the world.

Sorry aren't able to see it through. Hope you find someone to take it off your hands. Just don't use that first line in the CL add.
Unread 01-20-2015, 07:30 PM   #10
HackFabrication
1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
Yes I'm sure allot of us have some ideas on price but I doubt any of them will meet your expectations. I know that's blunt but take a look at this. Most cases like yours are basic basket cases.

I was faced with the same dilemma a few years ago.

My project had sat in my garage for 5 years collecting dust. It was partially assembled, ready for final dis-assembly, bodywork, paint, etc. I no longer had the time to devote to finishing it, and it was wasting away sitting. And at that time, I had considerably more $$,$$$.$$ into my project than you have. I'm not bragging, on the contrary, I have a shameful amount of money 'invested' in it. I was going to let everything go for $5,000. Which at the time was about ten cents on each dollar spent. And most likely, I wasn't going to get any takers. I even considered just 'giving it away', and taking my losses, just to 'move on'. Seriously.

In the end, I hate not finishing anything I start, so I decided to dump more $$,$$$.$$ into it by having a shop finish it for me. Even when it's finished, I'd be lucky to get that same ten cents per dollar.

Honestly you are looking at pennies on the dollar because of the basket case nature of your project. It's a tough pill to swallow, but that's the price of playing around with 30 year old junk. Sell the engine separate, sell the bell-housing/trans/t-case as a unit, and put a $500-$1000 price on the rest.
Unread 01-20-2015, 08:46 PM   #11
ssdalton
1978 CJ7 

I'm in Alabama , I might look at it. Where are you? I'm up in Florence.
ssdalton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2015, 09:49 PM   #12
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

I feel for you but an unfinished project is just another junker.

I would try to sell it complete as a $1000 project or the engine and transmission seperately as a $500 lot as they will sell more easily. If not sold within 5 weeks send it to the junkyard.

We all have dilemmas, I had to sell a rifle collection at short notice and got 25 cents on the dollar but it was done and dusted and i could move on.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2015, 09:59 PM   #13
HackFabrication
1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BagusJeep View Post
...I had to sell a rifle collection at short notice and got 25 cents on the dollar but it was done and dusted and i could move on.
Now that would cause me some real stress:

Unread 01-21-2015, 09:55 AM   #14
smbundy13
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssdalton View Post
I'm in Alabama , I might look at it. Where are you? I'm up in Florence.
I am In Birmingham..

thanks for the input guys.. I might have the guy that is building the engine interested in it.. we will see what happens..
Unread 01-21-2015, 06:27 PM   #15
ssdalton
1978 CJ7 

Hey just let me know , I'd drive down and look at it possibly. If you decide to sell it all send me some pics to ssdalton@msn.com. I'm right in the middle of an ongoing CJ frame off. I would definitely put some of the parts to good use.
ssdalton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.