Dead spot in accelerator from idle to 1st gear... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Dead spot in accelerator from idle to 1st gear...

Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andAdvance Adapters SYE KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-15-2012, 01:22 PM   #1
matthewleeblair
1983 CJ7 

Dead spot in accelerator from idle to 1st gear...

1983 CJ7

Carter BBD

256 L6 4.2L

I've recently replaced the fuel filter (though I just read a post where someone said to start the engine before reattaching the new fuel filter to get anything out that may have been in the line). Removed the carburetor venturi assembly, cleaned it out, replaced the worn gaskets on the venturi assembly. I also put some seafoam in the gas tank with some fresh gas and ran it through the engine for about 5 minutes.

It still seems sluggish to dead-spot coming from idle to 1st gear.

Should I take the whole carb off, clean it all out, rebuild, and replace? I'm a little nervous about this. I think I did ok getting the venturi assembly out and cleaned but not so sure about taking the whole thing off.

What do you guys think it is?

Matt B

matthewleeblair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2012, 01:56 PM   #2
cjjon7
1983 CJ7 

I would put money on it being the carb itself with a multitude of old age problems. I dont think the bbd has an accelerator pump, right?

When I had one on my I6, it gave me problems for years until I finally broke down and replaced it with a Holley, looking back Id have gone tbi with 4.0 head... but nonetheless it solved 99 % of my troubles.
cjjon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2012, 02:09 PM   #3
matthewleeblair
1983 CJ7 

Funds are low, so a new carb is not possible right now.
Unread 11-15-2012, 02:13 PM   #4
RustyNutts
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I thought the same thing about the carb and dreaded taking it apart for a rebuild. --different carb from yours, Carter YF single barrel
In retrospect, it wasn't nearly as challenging as it seemed beforehand.
Get yourself a rebuild kit, chemical dip for carburetor parts, compressed air, some old toothbrushes, and a digital camera.
Take pics of it before from all angles showing all hookups, hoses, lines, etc.
As you take stuff apart, large or small, take a pic.
It could be the next day (if you soak your parts overnight) before you reassemble, so the pics are key.

It's not hard, but it is tedious and the pics keep you on track. The rebuild kit comes with exploded views of everything and how it goes.
Good Luck.

That being said, have you tried just driving the tee-total sheet out of it for a few minutes? The ol' Italian tune-up!!
RustyNutts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2012, 02:17 PM   #5
cjjon7
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyNutts View Post

That being said, have you tried just driving the tee-total sheet out of it for a few minutes? The ol' Italian tune-up!!

Never heard that one before thats awesome. I used to do those with the I6 all the time to try and blast something outta that carb. haha
cjjon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2012, 02:32 PM   #6
matthewleeblair
1983 CJ7 

hahahaha!!! That's a good one. Maybe I can scare the neighbors while I'm at it haha.

Thanks for the encouragement about rebuilding it. I know that's what I should probably do anyway.

Keep learning as I go. One question about the chem dip... after using it for the carb, is it ok to store it and reuse it on something else?
Unread 11-15-2012, 07:17 PM   #7
matthewleeblair
1983 CJ7 

Anyone have any other thoughts on what could be causing this problem?
Unread 11-15-2012, 07:28 PM   #8
davbytrace
1979 CJ7 

Maybe the accelerator cable is bending and taking up slack (dead spot) rather than moving the throttle linkage at some point in its travel. This will have the appearance of a dead spot.
davbytrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2012, 07:37 PM   #9
matthewleeblair
1983 CJ7 

I'll check that out too. Thanks!
Unread 11-16-2012, 03:48 AM   #10
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Grab the the bellcrank where the throttle cable attaches to. See how much up and down play it has.

When the bushings get loose the needles and accelerator pump do not track the throttle plate. The butterfly's opening before the accelerator pump arm moves causes a lean hesitation.

Have you ever adjusted your idle mixture screws?
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2012, 08:39 AM   #11
matthewleeblair
1983 CJ7 

I did mess with the idle mixture screws a little after cleaning out the Venturi assembly. I wasn't sure how to set them though. I just tried to put them back like they were.

I'm not sure what the bell crank is. So much I'm trying to learn. I'm a total noob haha. Thanks for the suggestions. I'm planning to have a little time to look at it this afternoon.

How should I have my idle screws set?
Unread 11-16-2012, 09:47 AM   #12
davbytrace
1979 CJ7 

It is the thing on the carb that the throttle cable attaches to. There should not be any play. There are two other bellcranks on your jeep. One for your clutch in the engine compartment (if a standard trans), and one for the clutch and brake pedal up under the dash. The gas pedal does not operate on a bellcrank.
davbytrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2012, 11:21 AM   #13
Dngrs1
1979 CJ7 

Yes, you can use the chem-dip for other stuff after cleaning the carb in it, as long as the carb isn't 'covered' in dirt, mud, grease, etc. Read the label on the can. When you dispose of it, it is treated as hazardous waste.
Unread 11-16-2012, 04:55 PM   #14
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Here is a start.

Searching this Fourm you will find two manuals to help you in your journey. One is the FSM and one is a actual Carter repair manual.

Both are better by far then the little piece of paper in the rebuild kits.

When you dissemble the carb make sure you don't forget where the check balls go, as well as which size goes where. Make sure every hole in it is open. If your throttle shaft has play shoot me a pm. I can fix it.

Also Conceder drilling out your idle/emulsion tubes. I have a thread on drilling out the tubes as well as replacing the bushings in the baseplate.
image-4110104510.jpg  
Unread 11-16-2012, 05:01 PM   #15
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewleeblair
I did mess with the idle mixture screws a little after cleaning out the Venturi assembly. I wasn't sure how to set them though. I just tried to put them back like they were.

I'm not sure what the bell crank is. So much I'm trying to learn. I'm a total noob haha. Thanks for the suggestions. I'm planning to have a little time to look at it this afternoon.

How should I have my idle screws set?
The idle mixture screw adjustment is easy. When engine is fully up to temp slowly turn in each screw 1/8 to 1/4 at a time until the idle drops. Then back them out until the idle just smooths out. If your rpm's creep up while doing it readjust your idle rpm and do the idle mixture adjustment again. Keep doing it until your know longer adjusting your idle rpm.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.