Day one - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Day one

4th of July Military Discount! (Active: July 2 - 16, 2014)Currie RockJock Products!!*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*

Unread 11-30-2009, 05:40 PM   #16
theguidoune
1985 CJ7 

I guess I can start a build thread. This is a photo of the jeep on day one when I got it home. I hope this works as I am just testing things out here.

EDIT: not sure how to get this to work. I have clicked the add image url and copy and pasted from my photobucket account. Any tips or tricks?

Edit: pulled the link out since its posted by another member already

Last edited by theguidoune; 11-30-2009 at 07:01 PM..
theguidoune is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2009, 05:49 PM   #17
Totallymetal
2007 JK Wrangler 

Throw your image links in the body of your text and somebody with 50 or more posts can put it up for you.

2007 JK Rubicon
5.5 Rock Krawler X-factor lift w/37 x 12.5 x 17 BFG KM2s, 5.13 Superior gears
Warn Powerplant HD

Totallymetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2009, 05:52 PM   #18
danheit
1979 CJ7 

WHEW! That one took more work than usual! I hadn't relinked someone's pics in a while. Anywho, here is a picture of your Jeep. All you need to do next time is copy and paste the IMG tag directly from facebook. You can't host the pics until you have 50 posts, but someone will fix it for you. it is alot easier to do though if you post the IMG tag. Nice looking Jeep though!

Build Thread: 1979 CJ7 Blue Jeep

Last edited by danheit; 11-30-2009 at 06:02 PM..
danheit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2009, 05:56 PM   #19
bengzj
1983 CJ7 

i stripped 4 my roll bar bolts so i just took my 4" grinder cut the head bolt to flat on to sides used a cresent wrench to remove went so well i did it to the rest then off to westlake for new bolts took less then 30 min to remove
bengzj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2009, 05:56 PM   #20
Totallymetal
2007 JK Wrangler 

Here we go... the top one is the one needed.

2007 JK Rubicon
5.5 Rock Krawler X-factor lift w/37 x 12.5 x 17 BFG KM2s, 5.13 Superior gears
Warn Powerplant HD

Totallymetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2009, 06:22 PM   #21
theguidoune
1985 CJ7 

I kind of gave up on the roll bar for the minute. At least till the wife tells me to get the two jeep halves out of the driveway For now my hang up is wait till i find a good cj tub or go the yj route. I would do fiberglass but I really like the look of the tailgate. I guess when I have 33s or 35s on it the spare will cover it up anyhow but for now holding out on some steel.

My issue at the moment is what to do about the frame. Sandblast or wire wheel.

Was going to get a sandblaster and do it at the house till i did some research and its probably not a good idea because of the mess/chemicals in the yard. I am on a well so i have some concern there. Then I was going to find a place to haul it to but I don't have my own trailer so the logistics come into play.

I think i may go the elbow grease route and wire wheel it.

here are some more photos.

This is it sitting pretty next to the chevelle before the new owner came and picked her up.

This is it in the garage for the first time. Getting the seats and dash out.

This is more of the dash removal.

EDIT: I figured it out
Unread 11-30-2009, 06:34 PM   #22
theguidoune
1985 CJ7 

This is one of where the tub was finally coming off. I had one of those many "mistakes" in this photo. I did not disconnect the lines to the liquid check valve. Of course I had no idea what the hell it was until i looked in the Haynes manual. To get to this point I only made about a 1 inch cut in the tub. Right along the crimped/stamped section where the door lip is. Scary to think it was driven like this. Oh and all the body mounts snapped off. Only the passenger side most front mount came out clean.

So I wish I took more photos of the process (another one of my many mistakes) But I was moving so fast and did not want to loose motivation.

Here are a couple more of it split in two

More to come.
Unread 11-30-2009, 06:38 PM   #23
danheit
1979 CJ7 

Ha! It's actually in better shape than mine was when I first started! Take a look at the first few pics of my build. You will see very similar situations. I went with a YJ tub that I got from another JF member here. Definately save the tailgate, and be sure to unbolt or cut off every last usable piece of that tub! Good luck!

Build Thread: 1979 CJ7 Blue Jeep
danheit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2009, 06:47 PM   #24
fireman72737
1984 CJ7 

Try useing the air chisel or a medium cold chisel and hit the top of the torx head,like you were loosening it, works great, then once they are loose use the torx wrench. For yout sawzall mix up some soap 10:1 in a spray bottle and spray the blade a lot as you cut. It will keep it cool and lube it.
Unread 11-30-2009, 06:50 PM   #25
theguidoune
1985 CJ7 

Here is one of my favorite discoveries. Check out how the universal joint was installed. I have done nothing to it as of this photo. Anybody want to go wheeling with me

Here is one with the drive train still in.

Here is a little more missing.

This is just about where I left off. I need to clean the mess in this photo you would call an engine so I can get this sucker off of the frame. I am too cheep to go buy a new hoist from the store so I am waiting for something to pop up on craigslist.

Soon I will start with all my questions.
Unread 11-30-2009, 07:01 PM   #26
W7NB
Educated Redneck

2013 JK Wrangler 

Does anybody in your area do acid dipping? I had the frame for my 65 chev pickup dipped, and it came out looking great! Acid gets into places that blasting or grinding can't.

1985 CJ7 With HO 4.0 Conversion
2013 JK
W7NB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2009, 07:48 PM   #27
Tigger01
1984 CJ7 

WoW that looks like my Original Black Rusted Jeep

Brings back memories here

Chris-Tigger
Tigger01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2009, 10:36 PM   #28
Mark4883
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Man stripping the frame is a real fun job, I thoroughly enjoyed all 400 hours of it. Seriously though, wire wheel it, throw some marine cleaner on it than POR-15 it. It's a lot of crappy work but it will be like a night and day difference. Building up from a solid, clean base makes a build a lot more enjoyable to me.
Mark4883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2009, 10:38 PM   #29
Mark4883
1991 YJ Wrangler 

By the way, how are you liking JF so far?
Mark4883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2009, 02:04 PM   #30
theguidoune
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark4883 View Post
By the way, how are you liking JF so far?
I Love it. Like I said the guys who first responded to me saved me a bunch of time. I was going to go the sawsall route instead of just snapping the body bolts. the Jeepforum way proved to be easier At the same time I am kinda scared to ask some of the questions I have because "they have been covered" and I feel like I am just missing something obvious. I don't want to get the reached across the monitor/internet slap on the face

--mad--

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.