Day one - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Day one

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 11-24-2009, 03:11 PM   #1
theguidoune
1985 CJ7 

Day one

So today i got my first jeep. I towed it home thanks to uhaul. All I got to say is the body is way worse then I thought. Had my neighbor help take of the hard top and I was home free from there. Got the seats out dash just about all apart.

I have to stop now because my daughter is waking up soon.

The bad news is when I experimented with using my sawsall to cut one of the body mounts it burnt out. I need to go to sears to get one of those heavy duty star sockets to get the roll bar and windshield bolts out so i will pick up a new sawsall then.

I will post picks when I can.

--mad--

theguidoune is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2009, 03:51 PM   #2
sanddrag
1984 CJ7 

Make sure to heat those Torx bolts and/or soak them in PB Blaster. Those ones are very difficult to get out. There's a good chance you'll strip them out, and have to weld a nut on them or something to get them out. Just be prepared.
sanddrag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2009, 03:57 PM   #3
BioTex
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Agree^^ I broke two sockets, tried sawing thru a couple, and ended up leaving the bar in place. Those bolts are very hard metal. Mine weren't even rusty.
06' TJ Rubicon, 4" R.C. springs, BFG/AT 35s M.C. 6" fenders, rockers and surrounds, Currie front & rear adj. tracbars, tattons DC rear shaft, adj. upper - lower CA's. Bilstein 5100's
YJ Buggy Build Current project. Stroker/FI ?
1990 MJ Comanche 4.0L AX15/np231
BioTex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2009, 05:04 PM   #4
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

The body mounts will burn out the sawsall blades way too fast. The rubber heats and gums up the teeth and then the blade just smokes out on the cores. There are two steel core tubes and one bolt through the center of the stock mount.

A big breaker bar is the way I went. Got lucky, most snapped off vs me having to use a dremil tool to grind the head off because an angle grinder won't fit.

Then when I used a come-a-long up to a tree branch from the roll bar, the tailgate fell off, the floor fell out, the front cowl fell forward and I was left with a couple fenders hanging off the roll bar...

Took a full day to get the roll bar off the left over pieces, that was a serious PITA.

Thankfully I got to toss the pieces of the tub left in the trash, I went fiberglass.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2009, 05:35 PM   #5
theguidoune
1985 CJ7 

This forum rocks! First day and I already think you have saved me some trouble for day two. I got a couple hours during nap time tomorrow and then i have all night when the wife gets home from work. I am hoping I have the body off by then.

Then the search begins. I would rather do a steel tub but I am very impatient and their are a lot of used fiberglass tubs that are complete for sale around here.

BTW does anybody know what the hell the square aluminum box that is on the passenger side is for? It has a "void if removed sticker by Ford" on it and a loaded down wire harness connected to it.

--mad--
Unread 11-24-2009, 05:38 PM   #6
theguidoune
1985 CJ7 

anybody try one of those impact chisel cutters on the frame mounts? Just wondering before i go out and buy a set. Otherwise I may just get a long solid steel bar and try and pop them off the body. I think that may be easy since its so rotted.
Unread 11-24-2009, 05:43 PM   #7
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by theguidoune View Post

BTW does anybody know what the hell the square aluminum box that is on the passenger side is for? It has a "void if removed sticker by Ford" on it and a loaded down wire harness connected to it.

--mad--
Yup, that is the sorry excuse of an emissions computer. To put it out of your misery, see this thread:
How to - Nutter Bypass
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2009, 07:26 PM   #8
theguidoune
1985 CJ7 

Well I got it all apart...just about. The engine is sitting on a transjack and stand still attached to the mounts. The body, exhaust, trans, transfer case and a bunch of other small things are all apart.

The frame looks real good. I need to redo the back two body mounts where the bumper goes. (whatever that section is called)

List of things I want to get done in the next week or so.

Pull engine
Redo 2 frame mounts
degrease frame
sandblast frame
sell tires and rim combo.
sell hardtop
Decide on suspension kit and order it.
Find a tub

Millions of questions and tons of mistakes already. (What the hell did I get myself into)
Unread 11-27-2009, 02:17 AM   #9
RangerRick
1985 CJ7 

Quote:

Millions of questions and tons of mistakes already. (What the hell did I get myself into)
Just Empty Every PocketJEEP
RangerRick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2009, 02:25 AM   #10
Mark4883
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Romain View Post
The body mounts will burn out the sawsall blades way too fast. The rubber heats and gums up the teeth and then the blade just smokes out on the cores. There are two steel core tubes and one bolt through the center of the stock mount.

A big breaker bar is the way I went. Got lucky, most snapped off vs me having to use a dremil tool to grind the head off because an angle grinder won't fit.

Then when I used a come-a-long up to a tree branch from the roll bar, the tailgate fell off, the floor fell out, the front cowl fell forward and I was left with a couple fenders hanging off the roll bar...

Took a full day to get the roll bar off the left over pieces, that was a serious PITA.

Thankfully I got to toss the pieces of the tub left in the trash, I went fiberglass.
Rofl I can just picture your face when this happened.
Mark4883 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2009, 05:35 AM   #11
Oily
1985 CJ7 

Welcome to the forum and the addiction theguidoune.
Quote:
sell tires and rim combo.
sell hardtop
The rims you may want to keep especially if they are originals. Some are very collectible/nice to have. Many have a spare set of wheels for off road use.
The hardtop also. Especially if you expect to see road use. Even on the trail a hardtop is nice if you are not topless. It is very doable to remove a hardtop by yourself or with minimal help.
I would at least wait awhile before I got rid of either.
Good luck with your build.
Oily is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2009, 02:24 PM   #12
eagleCJ7
1985 CJ7 

You're among friends on this forum. I just hauled my "new" '85' 7 home compliments of uhaul in October. I lucked out though because it already had the glass tub.

Best of luck to ya.........Mike
eagleCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2009, 04:52 PM   #13
W7NB
2013 JK Wrangler 

Time to start a build thread and get some pictures going for a record. It's always nice to have before/after pics!

1985 CJ7 With HO 4.0 Conversion
2013 JK
W7NB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2009, 04:56 PM   #14
91YJ4X4
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Welcome! Am I missing something or did no one ask what kinda Heep did you get? Sounds like youll fit in just fine here, good luck and can't wait for some pics!
Unread 11-30-2009, 05:01 PM   #15
Mark4883
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah, post up some pics!
Mark4883 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.