I was able to get back to the shop today with the intent of finishing the press. I lopped off the corners of the 3X3 angles I am using for the feet. The lopped off corners will be less painful to my kneecaps when I forget and kneel down to get a better look at what I am working on. I wire wheeled and de-burred the steel and started laying out the main rails checking for square.
I welded the double channels at the top of the press frame flush with the vertical channels leaving a gap in the middle. I was not sure how I was going to attach the return springs so I though this was the safe way to do it.
I welded two pieces of 1x1 angle iron between the C4 channels and it would not fit between the vertical rails. I cut it apart, double checked the dimension between the vertical rails and welded in two pieces of 1 1/2" square tubing.
I cut two pieces of C4 to make the ends of the jack rail.
I mocked up the jack rail, springs and eyebolts to see how it fit. OOPS
looks like my idea to use the C4 for each end of the jack rail left just a little too much slop...on to plan B.
I found some 1 1/4" and 1 1/2" square tubing in the scrap pile and welded in some guides and modified the eyebolts with a BFH so they would fit inside the 1 1/4" tubing. I like the cleaner look of the hidden springs. It was a PIA getting it fit up correctly but it works good now.
I cut a piece of cold roll to length for the ram, put it in the press and then flipped it upside down to weld it in place.
Almost finished, I still need to weld in a top plate with a hole for the jack ram, weld a support between the 3X3 angles, get some Grade 8 bolts or some hitch pins, cut some notches in the arbor plates and prime and paint it.
But for now I can get back on the D30 axles...this was a fun project.