Dauntless in late model CJ5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Dauntless in late model CJ5

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 10-22-2009, 10:24 AM   #1
webbdad
1980 CJ5 

Dauntless in late model CJ5

Has anyone ever put a Dauntless V6 in a later model CJ5?? I have an '80 CJ5 with an Iron Duke and have access to a 71 Dauntless complete setup (3sp and TC included).
I like the idea, but am curious of the gotchas.....
Also I would like to keep my D300 TC case, is this possible????

webbdad

webbdad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2009, 11:31 AM   #2
CSP

To keep the D300 you'd have to find a transmission that bolts to the 225 and then has an adapter to the D300 available. One that comes to mind is the SM465 which you can find bellhousings that will work between it and the 225. Then you'd need an adapter to attach the D300.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2009, 11:56 AM   #3
Bren Gun
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I'm a big fan of the 225 odd fire myself, but just something to think about... you may want to check into the legality of swapping an older engine into a newer jeep. Not sure if it would apply to a jeep that already qualifies as a classic, but just a thought. HTH
www.this-old-jeep.com
Bren Gun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2009, 05:12 PM   #4
jayhawkclint
1970 CJ5 

Different eras. You'd have to change motor mounts, rear axle is going to be centered, driveshafts, etc.

Better choice would be an EFI 350 or 4.3 swap.
Unread 10-23-2009, 11:02 AM   #5
Southtowns27
1955 CJ5 

Anything is possible. You have plenty of engine compartment space especially with the long front fenders. Bolting the 300 to the tranny will likely be a hassle. As CSP mentioned, you'd probably end up running an SM420 or 465. They'll both bolt right to the 225. Then get an adapter to mount the 300 to the tranny. Or, just run a Dana 20 to line up with your rearend. You'd have to completely fabricate engine mounts and an exhaust system and come up with some plumbing for cooling/fuel, etc. The 225 makes lots of torque, but it really isn't a huge powerhouse. I ditched mine for a SBC. By the time it's all said and done, a SBC swap would probably be faster/easier and be a lot cooler for less work.
Southtowns27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.