In-dash Speaker Replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > In-dash Speaker Replacement

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-07-2013, 02:38 PM   #1
bruceburnham
1986 CJ7 

In-dash Speaker Replacement

The passenger-side speaker in my '86 CJ-7 is kaput. Do I have to pull the dash to replace it? Advice on a good replacement brand? Thanks.

bruceburnham is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2013, 03:08 PM   #2
PROJECT 23
1985 CJ7 

Unless you have small hands than yes. Good thing is that the dash doesn't need to be completely removed. Get yourself 4 bolts with the same size threads, but they should be maybe 4-6 inches long. Put one of these in each corner of the dash, remove the other 6 stock bolts (I think it's 6) and then pull the dash plate away. This should give you enough wiggle room to change speakers, gauges, work on wiring, etc.
Hope this helps......
PROJECT 23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2013, 05:24 PM   #3
Spieg8
1984 CJ8 

passenger side is the easy one. should be able to reach back there with a small socket wrench (use a deep well on the studs and a small extension to clear the back of the magnet).
Spieg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2013, 06:08 PM   #4
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

I replaced both of mine without pulling the dash, and I have large hands with fat fingers.

I used speakers made for Harley Davidson motorcycles, but they may not work with your head unit.

Matt
radio8.jpg   radio10.jpg  
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2013, 11:07 AM   #5
wm69

You can get under there without pulling the dash, but it's tough.

I would strongly recommend getting component speakers (separate tweeter and woofer). I'm normally a deal seeker on stuff like this, but I bought my green Jeep with a set of components in there and they sound SO much better than any of the speakers I've tried with a tweeter in the middle of the woofer. This also takes away the issue of the center-mounted tweeter hitting the backside of the grill. You can use spacers on a two way speaker, but I think you lose some sound quality that way.

I've had Pioneer, Polk, Kenwood, JBL, and Infinity in the dash of my tan Jeep over the last 20 years. The green Jeep I picked up in 2002 and it had Pioneer components in it. They sound better than any of the ones I've tried, and they've lasted longer. Just worth the extra money in my opinion. The PO mounted the tweeters above the oil/ volt gauges. I plan to move them to the rollbar pad pointing down at the front seats when I take the dash out to paint it (probably be another 20 years, but that's the plan)

Dang, after searching these things have gotten cheap. Think I might get a set for the tan Jeep!

http://www.amazon.com/PIONEER-COMPON...pd_sim_sbs_e_4

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-Tsc135.../dp/B00009QOUR

85 CJ7 258, A/C, T176, MC2100, Team Rush, Warn XD8000i, superwinch hubs, 3in lift 31" BFG AT/KO
wm69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2013, 11:34 AM   #6
pagnani
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
I replaced both of mine without pulling the dash, and I have large hands with fat fingers.

I used speakers made for Harley Davidson motorcycles, but they may not work with your head unit.

Matt
How do they sound? I need to replace mine as well and I am having a hard time finding a quality speaker that does not have the tweeter sticking out.
Unread 10-08-2013, 02:34 PM   #7
bruceburnham
1986 CJ7 

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. I kinda stumbled on an easier solution for getting to the passenger side speaker - I tore out the deteriorated cardboard glovebox (which gave me easy access) and replaced this with a new plastic one ($20 bucks).
bruceburnham is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2013, 06:40 AM   #8
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagnani View Post
How do they sound? I need to replace mine as well and I am having a hard time finding a quality speaker that does not have the tweeter sticking out.
You can also use Jeep TJ speakers that are found in the sound bar that's mounted to the roll bar. Their 5.25" and can be flush mounted onto the Jeep CJ dash and can be bought at most junk yards for cheap. Just make sure you get the plug portion of the speaker wire so it makes it easier to install them.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-09-2013, 07:23 AM   #9
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagnani View Post
The Bazooka MCC5252 speakers sound great for a 5-1/4 speaker. A huge improvement over stock.

They are a 2 ohm speaker, however, so your head unit needs to be compatible.

I use the Retrosound head unit below, along with a Rockford Fosgate 300 watt amp in the center console, and Infinity 6x9s in the rear.

Matt
radio6.jpg   radio9.jpg   radio7.jpg  
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.