Dash pad painting question? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Dash pad painting question?

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wd

Unread 12-19-2009, 10:37 PM   #1
skclark
1982 CJ7 

Dash pad painting question?

For those of you that have been there done that. How did you go about taping off / painting the embossed jeep logo? I was thinking of painting the logo first, then taping it off and painting the rest of the dash. But unsure of how to tape off the inside of the e's and p?

skclark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2009, 12:15 AM   #2
jeepmaster03
1982 CJ7 

I pulled and sprayed my pad with rustoleum textured flat black. It adhears great and looks even better. To paint the logo a diferent color you should mask off the entire area afterward, then use an X-acto knife to weed out the shape of the raised letters. Be careful to only score the masking tape. Then shoot the letters with the color of your choice. Pull the masking tape before it drys.
jeepmaster03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2009, 07:16 AM   #3
Area.3.Fiftyone
1996 ZJ 

I wonder if you could just use a firm sponge roller (or similar) and just lightly go over the letters after the pad has been painted?

Kinda like a rubber stamp technique.

If you decide to mask them: I think I would do the letters first. Apply some precut Jeep decals over it, paint the rest of the dash and then peel the decals off to reveal the underlying color.

You can find templates for most Jeep logos here:

http://www.brandsoftheworld.com/search/115737646/

Last edited by Area.3.Fiftyone; 12-20-2009 at 07:35 AM..
Area.3.Fiftyone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2009, 07:33 AM   #4
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Years ago (~1982), I bought some vinyl dye, at an auto parts store. I dyed a tan dash black.

It took about 3 coats, but came out beautiful. I just dyed the embossed "Jeep" letters the same color, and it looked fine.

I'm sure that there are ways to paint the letters a different color. You could mask them, or use a small, thin very dense foam roller and roll the different color over the newly painted dash.

They sell nice, dense foam rollers that are 2" wide. These might work well, with several light coats, with light pressure, so the paint stays on the higher flat surface of the letters.

Personally, I don't know if the extra work/risk of messing it up is worth it.

One solid color does not look bad.

Good luck!

Rich

P.S. By the time I two-finger typed , and posted this...Iron Maiden posted his suggestion. Great minds think alike!

There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
rixcj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2009, 09:16 AM   #5
jeepcj258
1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rixcj View Post
Years ago (~1982), I bought some vinyl dye, at an auto parts store. I dyed a tan dash black.

It took about 3 coats, but came out beautiful. I just dyed the embossed "Jeep" letters the same color, and it looked fine.

I'm sure that there are ways to paint the letters a different color. You could mask them, or use a small, thin very dense foam roller and roll the different color over the newly painted dash.

They sell nice, dense foam rollers that are 2" wide. These might work well, with several light coats, with light pressure, so the paint stays on the higher flat surface of the letters.

Personally, I don't know if the extra work/risk of messing it up is worth it.

One solid color does not look bad.

Good luck!

Rich

P.S. By the time I two-finger typed , and posted this...Iron Maiden posted his suggestion. Great minds think alike!

I did mine the same, vinyl dye in a rattle can. It came out beautifully. I did not paint the JEEP letters differently however.... No suggestion for you there.

Seth
jeepcj258 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2009, 09:29 AM   #6
skclark
1982 CJ7 

I'm a glutton for punishment and will be trying to paint the jeep letters. I like the foam roller idea. I may tape it off and roll it to see. Problem is the vynil paint is aerosal. Guess I could spray a bunch in a disposable roller tray? Since the letters are embossed maybe it will be easier to tape them off after painting them. I'll post some pics. Jeep is black and I have red jeep logo's and think it would be neat to have the dash pad painted the same.
skclark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2009, 10:04 AM   #7
Area.3.Fiftyone
1996 ZJ 

I personally would just paint it all black and be done with it.....
Unread 12-20-2009, 12:38 PM   #8
PERK
1983 CJ7 

paint the base color first, fill the p's and e's with vasoline and use the roller on the letter faces.clean out the vasoline when thoroughly dry
PERK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2009, 03:41 PM   #9
SinCityCJ
1986 CJ7 

I just did mine a little while ago. It started out looking like this

I shot the base coat using Rustoleum Fabric and Vinyl spray paint in flat black

Then I used a 000 paint brush and hand painted the letters and AMC logo

I need to touch up the letters and logo but it will have to wait for spring. The paint I used didn't cover as well as I would have liked.
Unread 12-20-2009, 08:51 PM   #10
wrongway92407

1986 CJ7 

That looks really good Good Job. I'll send you mine
wrongway92407 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2015, 10:38 AM   #11
wm69

Had a member PM me asking about what color the logo originally was on my dash. Posting this up as I couldn't PM him a picture. On the 85's I have they all were Honey interior and the Jeep logo was honestly just a dirty looking Honey.

Also, regarding the SEM dye. The Laredo grab bar in the pic was extremely faded and I painted it with SEM "Camel". The dash pad is the original Honey pad in Dad's low mileage, always garaged Scrambler. Perfect match. The only thing I haven't been able to get the SEM to adhere to is the door pulls, which seem to be some kind of rubber.

Note on the logo, it is not black or any really contrasting color, just looks like someone wiped it with a greasy rag.
image.jpg  

85 CJ7 258, A/C, T176, MC2100, Team Rush, Warn XD8000i, superwinch hubs, 3in lift 31" BFG AT/KO
wm69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2015, 05:33 PM   #12
jetamerica
85 CJ7, 2012 Wrangler

1985 CJ7 

thanks wm69, starting it this weekend will post pics when done. I agree the tan dash raised portion looks like it it a shade or two darker than the whole dash color. I have not decided whether or not to paint the raised portion
jetamerica is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2015, 08:58 PM   #13
frankthomson
1986 CJ7 

nice work

i just spray-bombed mine all black
looked great and lasted for years!
Unread 02-14-2015, 07:50 AM   #14
2001WJv8
1983 CJ7 

i never even thought about painting it ... great idea

as for the logo, I think rather than rolling it I'd use a flat sponge or maybe just a rag spread over a board the same size as the logo then press it on all at once - but that's just a SWAG on how to do it ... since my jeep is all black and I'm super lazy I probably won't bother doing a contrasting color
2001WJv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2015, 12:44 PM   #15
CrankyD
1983 CJ7 

I did mine in a quick afternoon using SEM camel spray on and Rustoleum chrome for the letters. Check out my thread for an easy way to do the letters!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/qu...ation-1723506/
CrankyD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.