Dash lights for dummies - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Dash lights for dummies

Poison Spyder DeFenders™ - "Tubeless" Jeep FendeAll Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!

Unread 07-21-2010, 12:04 PM   #16
CJ5_Fan
1980 CJ5 

I had a similar problem on my CJ and found that first, the lights for the dash lights are typically a single orange wire harness connecting the bulbs and grounded via the dash. And secondly, the headlight switch has a very simple dimmer mechinism which is basically a contact touching a spring to create more or less brightness on the dash as the knob is rotated.

My contacts were dirty and the dimmer switch effectivly was not working. I verified that by jumping the orange circuit in the HL switch to a known hot lead (IIRC it was white) and that allowed all the lights to work but killed the ability to dim. I ran it jumped for a while with no problems.

I later replaced the HL switch and found the new HL switch dimmer circuit contacts needed to be cleaned prior to installation to get it to work correctly even though it was NOS.

Click HERE to check out my CJ5 restoration project page
CJ5_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2010, 12:40 PM   #17
andyt86CJ
1986 CJ7 

Guess I will be messing with that this weekend
andyt86CJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2010, 08:22 AM   #18
dd4bama
1985 CJ7 

OK...there's a small black wire coming off the light switch that has a rubber end on it - I see it on the wiring schematic. Is that the ground? If so, where does it go? If not, what is it to?
dd4bama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2010, 08:50 AM   #19
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd4bama View Post
OK...there's a small black wire coming off the light switch that has a rubber end on it - I see it on the wiring schematic. Is that the ground? If so, where does it go? If not, what is it to?
Yes a ground wire and no also. You are referring to the black wire coming from the headlight switch wiring harness and it supplies the ground path to the factory OEM under dash courtesy lights. It is not actually grounded until the headlight switch is turned completely to the left until it "clicks". The courtesy lights are always powered or "Hot At All Times" but are not grounded so they do not light up all the time. When you turn the switch, then the path to ground is made and the courtesy lights turn on.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226

Last edited by keith460; 07-22-2010 at 10:17 AM..
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2010, 01:28 PM   #20
dd4bama
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith460 View Post
Yes a ground wire and no also. You are referring to the black wire coming from the headlight switch wiring harness and it supplies the ground path to the factory OEM under dash courtesy lights. It is not actually grounded until the headlight switch is turned completely to the left until it "clicks". The courtesy lights are always powered or "Hot At All Times" but are not grounded so they do not light up all the time. When you turn the switch, then the path to ground is made and the courtesy lights turn on.
Roger that. Thanks. I am going to heed previous advice and clean all connections good and retry. If that doesn't work I'm assuming it's a grounding issue. I guess the next question is, does the light switch ground itself to the dash when it is installed? If so, how does one bench test it before putting it in?
dd4bama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
dash , dash lights , dimmer switch , gauges , ground wire , wiring , wiring diagram

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.