Dash lights for dummies - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Dash lights for dummies

Thanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.com2" Lift Kits for JK, TJ, XJ, WJ~$125.00 w/free shippiGreat prices on seating!--Oconee Off-Road

Unread 07-20-2010, 10:12 PM   #1
dd4bama
1985 CJ7 

Dash lights for dummies

I've read most of the dash light threads without success. My instrument lights have never worked, except for about one second when I was turning the dimmer switch on one occasion. I replaced the switch and it did nothing. I am hoping it's a fuse issue, and have attached a picture of my fuse box - someone on here may see something I don't. I've also attached a wiring photo, just in case someone can see something there as well. Thanks.

dd4bama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2010, 10:19 PM   #2
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

By dimmer switch, do you mean the headlight switch that rotates and controls dash light intensity? Or the dimmer switch on the floor that controls the high beams?

The headlight switch in the dash would've been my guess, probably not if you replaced it. Second to that would be a main ground somewhere. I haven't gotten that far in my electrical system rebuild yet, but someone here probably has! All your fuses look OK to me.
-N
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2010, 10:23 PM   #3
dd4bama
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkerhoundvm View Post
By dimmer switch, do you mean the headlight switch that rotates and controls dash light intensity? Or the dimmer switch on the floor that controls the high beams?

The headlight switch in the dash would've been my guess, probably not if you replaced it. Second to that would be a main ground somewhere. I haven't gotten that far in my electrical system rebuild yet, but someone here probably has! All your fuses look OK to me.
-N
Yep...talking about the dash switch. I replaced it thinking that was it, but it wasn't. It must be a grounding issue since they came on at one point for about a second and popped off again. Thanks though.
Unread 07-20-2010, 10:40 PM   #4
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

Just about everything on the dash grounds through the dash itself. I ran a dedicated ground wire from the battery to my dash. When I had the exact same problem, replacing the switch and adding ground fix it. Also used some emery cloth to clean up contacts and ground points.
VACJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2010, 10:45 PM   #5
dd4bama
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VACJ7 View Post
Just about everything on the dash grounds through the dash itself. I ran a dedicated ground wire from the battery to my dash. When I had the exact same problem, replacing the switch and adding ground fix it. Also used some emery cloth to clean up contacts and ground points.
Thanks. Is there a ground off the switch itself that needs to be connected to the dash? Also, dumb question...are all grounds black on CJs?
Unread 07-20-2010, 10:59 PM   #6
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

I want to say that switch has a ground wire, but you can download the Factory Service Manual (FSM) on this site and it has wiring diagrams. I would not go on faith that all black wires are ground. One of the POs of my Jeep apparently used whatever wire he had handy and sometimes spliced black wire into hot feeds as power wires. If you have a multimeter with a continuity setting you can test a wire. Connect one side to the wire and the other side to a known good ground. Mine beeps when there is a complete path. I disconnect the battery first.
VACJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2010, 06:36 AM   #7
scooby533
1986 CJ7 

Unless you can verify by tracing a wire path, NEVER take for granted a certain color is what it should be. What it "should" be and what it is are vastly different in most cases on CJ's because of PO's.
scooby533 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2010, 07:07 AM   #8
frank c
1981 CJ5 

In your first picture of the fuse box notice the tell tale GREEN fairy dust accumulated on the bottoms of the cubicles.
Buy a can of contact cleaner and one at a tine remove each fuse/flasher and spray clean the contacts, if you have a compressor blow some air into them also after spraying while still wet to help dislodge any debris/corrosion.
That should help to some extent in general for all connects there.
While you had your light switch apart did you notice any corrosion on the contacts if so take apart again and clean same with all connects you can get your hands on, ground mounted wires also.
I took for granted when I started to restore my 81 that had been sitting for years that the wires were going to be shot everywhere. After starting to get into it and inspect most all wires were looking good for general integrity only connections were showing corrosion.
Good Luck with it.
frank c is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2010, 07:17 AM   #9
alex211
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Ground out your dash, it should fix the problems.
Unread 07-21-2010, 08:38 AM   #10
dd4bama
1985 CJ7 

I appreciate that. I would like to test all of them before putting the dash back on...is there a way to ground it out properly without the dash being installed?
Unread 07-21-2010, 10:10 AM   #11
sgttaylor83CJ7
1983 CJ7 

Jumper cables
sgttaylor83CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2010, 10:35 AM   #12
andyt86CJ
1986 CJ7 

I cannot turn on the lights UNDER the dash. I just got an 86 Laredo that is near mint. My old 85 I had had under dash lights and I can't remember how they turn on. Twist the headlight knob to the left ?? I tired that nothing happened. Was going to change out that switch if need be
andyt86CJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2010, 10:41 AM   #13
albinoplatypus
1980 CJ5 

the switch should click once it's rotated all the way to the left. if they don't come on check the bulbs then the switch.
albinoplatypus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2010, 10:42 AM   #14
andyt86CJ
1986 CJ7 

no click. thanks man !
andyt86CJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2010, 11:03 AM   #15
Rusty Barrels
1979 CJ7 

Also check the clips that the fuse inserts into, one side can be broken off
Rusty Barrels is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
dash , dash lights , dimmer switch , gauges , ground wire , wiring , wiring diagram

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.