Dash Knob indicator light wiring help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Dash Knob indicator light wiring help

Don't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops and

Unread 06-28-2013, 09:53 AM   #1
smitty010203
1981 CJ5 

Dash Knob indicator light wiring help

Any good write-ups on dash knob indicator light wiring? I put all new indicator lights in my 81 cj5 a while back, plugged in a bunch of orange and black wires. I have seen where they possible piggy back off one another so the order must be correct, also have seen alot of info on gauge lighting, just not any on the knob indicator lights. Right now my 4wd gauge light works, brake light is constant on. the courtesy dome lights did work until I tried to make progress last night. gas gauge, oil pressure, voltage speedo, odo all work. new headlight switch, hi beams and low beams work. I know the knob can be turned to brighten and dim lights. it does nothing for me though. Do the knob lights run off the Ign. lamps fuse along with the gauge lights?

smitty010203 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2013, 10:07 AM   #2
spward

1985 CJ7 

It might be your headlight switch not working correctly. I know that before I pulled my wires out, I would have to twist and hold the knob to get any dash lights. It's on the list for replacement. For the break light, look at the switch and make sure your ground is good. I had that problem with mine.

USN Hull #227
spward is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2013, 10:54 AM   #3
smitty010203
1981 CJ5 

My switch is brand new so I am sure its not that. Im not getting any power to the orange or black wires that plug into the knob lights. I do know that as of right now.
Unread 06-28-2013, 11:01 AM   #4
LeePrather
1978 CJ5 

I have a painless wiring harness and I have a fuse in the box and a relay for the headlight switch with an inline fuse. Check all your fuses. If not, trace back to find out where those wires have power with your volt light
LeePrather is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2013, 12:37 PM   #5
smitty010203
1981 CJ5 

Yea I have tried that and will continue to do so. they are hard to trace though under the dash, wouldn't want to mess with any bird eggs..
Unread 06-28-2013, 03:01 PM   #6
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

There were two switches for the CJ.

Make sure it's identical. Some have a jumper. Some don't.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
John Strenk is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2013, 03:33 PM   #7
pman
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty010203 View Post
Yea I have tried that and will continue to do so. they are hard to trace though under the dash, wouldn't want to mess with any bird eggs..

Good one!!

I'm having the same issue myself, Smitty. Cluster has lights, but dash indicators do not. I apparently bumped/pulled something loose during my dash repaint. I'll keep my eye on your thread to see what you come up with.
82 CJ8 Scrambler 258-t5-Dana 300
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj...-lulu-1350563/
pman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2013, 03:41 PM   #8
agear
1984 CJ7 

1 thing i can tell you is it doesnt matter which terminal on the indicator lights gets the black wire or the orange wire
1984 jeep cj7, 258 I6, rebuilt T176,rebuilt Dana 300, amc 20 , dana 30, 4.10's Trac-lok in rear , 4.10's detroit soft locker in dana 30, 2.5 inch bds suspension lift, 1 inch polyurethan body mount lift. Line ex. weber carburetor. factory tach. factory clock ,oem replacement speedomter cluster, and oil pressure gauge, factory volt gauge.
agear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2013, 09:55 PM   #9
smitty010203
1981 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by agear View Post
1 thing i can tell you is it doesnt matter which terminal on the indicator lights gets the black wire or the orange wire
Well that should help out some. While doing other work on the jeep today I finally found my dash ground hookup location. I am going to try and start there tomorrow. Thanks for the help as always

John, what do you mean some have a jumper, how would one identify this jumper you speak of? Also you said make sure its identical. Identical to what? my previous light switch?
Unread 07-08-2013, 06:48 AM   #10
smitty010203
1981 CJ5 

just a follow up. My jeep battery was dying last week. Pretty sure it was John Strenk who had a post that gave me the directions on using the negative battery terminal, hookup, and test light to find out if my jeep was pulling amps while off. I discovered my horn relay was drawing power so I pulled it. Also pulled a lot of other fuses trying to find that out. I did find a dead fuse that I replaced, pretty sure it was the acc. fuse. It was a 20. Went to check the jeep last night after being gone all weekend and the power was fine so pulling the horn relay worked. AND I now have dash lights! I know I have checked my fuses before, first place I would ever check for any electrical. Had to of been what it was though. Either way it works now. now if I could just figure out my brake problems I could go for a night time ride.
Unread 07-08-2013, 08:36 AM   #11
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

There is probably a short in your steering column that kept the horn relay activated.

Pretty soon you will have to hunt that one down also. But that's pretty common.
Unread 07-08-2013, 09:44 AM   #12
smitty010203
1981 CJ5 

Well I took my steering wheel cap off and there is definitely something going on up there. I dont know the correct terms for the horn hookup parts though. Basically a goldish disk with 3 bolts and a black wire under it surrounding a spring. That disk makes all sorts of small sparks at the slightest touch. The PO put the new steering wheel on so i am sure he did something wrong, said the horn used to just go off so they eventually unhooked it at the horn. sorry for my ignorance on the parts, haven't gotten to that yet in my jeep training.
Unread 07-08-2013, 10:33 AM   #13
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

sounds like you have an aftermarket wheel. Snap a picture and we'll look at it.
Unread 07-08-2013, 12:20 PM   #14
smitty010203
1981 CJ5 

Ok heres a picture. Not sure if it will be big enough, been having trouble with sizes lately.
horn.png

Unread 07-08-2013, 12:24 PM   #15
smitty010203
1981 CJ5 

another photo
horn-2.png

Tags
dash light , indicator light

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.