Dash ideas... - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Dash ideas...

Warrior Products @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955Advance Adapters SYE KitsUCF Halloween Sale - 15% Off Until Midnight on Friday!

Unread 05-18-2011, 08:35 PM   #16
scooter18155
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grewe02 View Post
Alright fellas, I know you've all been excitedly awaiting my next drawing, so here you go.

Keep in mind, where you see the stock speedo will more than likely be the Auto Meter MPH / Speedo you saw above. Where you see 2 volt meters and 2 oil pressure meters will be 1 of the following: water temp, oil pressure, voltage, fuel quantity. And in the empty CD player slots hopefully I can fit all of the 3 mentioned above, the regular radio, CB radio, and HAM radio. The gauge above the wiper knob, picture that as an analog clock.

And again for reference so you don't have to scroll very far:

So, please continue with the critique. As before I am open to any and all comments / suggestions. Good or bad. Keep in mind I have no idea what I'm doing here and you guys are figuring out the hard part for me
i think the radios and the 4 small guages should be flip floped. the guages should be closer to the driver then the radios in my opinion. ya dont want to have to lean over to read the guages to see if everything runs properly. if not move the radios the guages should be in a place where they should be easily read without having to adjust your seating position. I agree with others either the cb or the ham has to go someplace else. im no expert on fabricating dashes but thats the first thing i thought of when i seen your pic those 4 lil guages would be a tough read viewing them from such an angle.

scooter18155 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2011, 08:39 PM   #17
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
I'm with you on having everything at your fingertips, but I think you will be under-satisfied with your dash when you're done. First thing that comes to my mind is all the weight from the 3 radios and the very limited support the dash will give. So you'll need to brace everything up pretty well to keep from warping the dash. The other thing that comes to mind is having two mike cords hanging in a jumbled mess. They're going to get tangled and look pretty bulky. I think at least one of them should go into a nice console, preferrably overhead.
I've also thought about the over head consoles. Tuffy makes a nice one. But honestly I really just don't think they're for me. I may end up with one, but I won't be happy with it. It does look like the best / easiest option at this point.

http://www.tuffyproducts.com/p-118-048-overhead-security-console-2-compartment.aspx

As far as the weight / support, I agree. Most of these Ham radios come with a remote mountable face plate, meaning you could mount the actual radio under your seat or hidden away somewhere, and just mount the face plate to the dash. So for that I wouldn't need to cut a hole or support anything. That would just leave the CB and regular radio. With that idea I might be able to stick with my original MS paint drawing. Idk.

http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=106&Prod ID=873&DivisionID=65&isArchived=0

And as for the cords getting tangled / bulky / all over the place. Meh. I'll put one on each side. Not too incredibly worried about it. With the Ham radio I could also attach an extension to the mic cable and have it coil up somewhere else. Tons of options with these radios.
I've had a crush on the Prius since it's debut. I got somethin' wrong upstairs.
Grewe02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2011, 08:41 PM   #18
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter18155 View Post
i think the radios and the 4 small guages should be flip floped. the guages should be closer to the driver then the radios in my opinion. ya dont want to have to lean over to read the guages to see if everything runs properly. if not move the radios the guages should be in a place where they should be easily read without having to adjust your seating position. I agree with others either the cb or the ham has to go someplace else. im no expert on fabricating dashes but thats the first thing i thought of when i seen your pic those 4 lil guages would be a tough read viewing them from such an angle.
I would also like to do that, but currently the heater ducting is in the way. So that won't work.

If the 4 small gauges have to stay where they are, Auto Meter sells angled mounting cups so they could point at me.

http://www.yearone.com/serverfiles/f...hid=426AL51364

Unread 05-18-2011, 09:05 PM   #19
specwarCJ
1982 CJ7 

If you have a welder and a grinder you could make those rings out of chrome plated titanium for less than the plastic rings. I may be exagerating a little but not much. Holy crap they want a lot for a angle cut plastic tube.
specwarCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2011, 09:23 PM   #20
Shepherd
1980 CJ7 

Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2011, 10:03 PM   #21
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1980 CJ5 

Shepherd, you really got me thinking with that post. You know what they say, a picture is worth 1,000 words.

Here is what my mind derived from your picture:

Unread 05-18-2011, 11:44 PM   #22
Rojo78CJ7
1978 CJ7 

Shepherd, what kind of guages are those?? Could you get a dead on picture of the dash to I can see your layout? I think its beautiful.
Rojo78CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2011, 06:08 AM   #23
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Since I tapped the oil pressure to turn on things (pressure switches for accessories) I built a pressure manifold and mounted it on the fender, then connected everything to it.
This lets me mount an oil pressure gauge in that manifold very easily.

Fuel pressure gauge is in the line to the carb.

I don't have an under hood temp gauge, but I might have one in the future...

Since my air compressor is under hood, that's where I mounted the gauge. Simple and quick to mount it in the air compressor manifold that has the pop off valve and switches mounted in it.

The one thing I can tell you with under hood gauges is...
You want SEALED gauges!
I use the little bitty liquid filled gauges. (Liquid filled means they are sealed)
The are unobtrusive and reliable since they are mechanical.

Liquid filled for the dash will mean they live longer.
The liquid buffers them against vibration/shock loading, and that will keep them alive longer.
Liquid filled gauges can be dunked under water and still survive, where electric gauges often die.
No problems with moisture condensation in liquid filled gauges either, but most are not back lit, which means a light shining on the face to see them at night.

If you use electric gauges in the cockpit, make sure you put them on quick connectors to the wiring harness.
It's very easy to modify the wiring pig tail to the gauge and plug the new gauge right back into the harness rather than hang up-side-down under the dash trying to figure out which wire goes where while trying to change connectors on the harness!
JeepHammer is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2011, 06:18 AM   #24
yahwhy
1982 CJ7 

i think you will have issue with trying to put heater controls offset to the right, control cables likely to short. also stock speedo on left of column lots of wires and fuse box in that area, just seems to me you would be fighting for space.
yahwhy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2011, 07:38 AM   #25
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepHammer View Post
If you use electric gauges in the cockpit, make sure you put them on quick connectors to the wiring harness.
It's very easy to modify the wiring pig tail to the gauge and plug the new gauge right back into the harness rather than hang up-side-down under the dash trying to figure out which wire goes where while trying to change connectors on the harness!
I like this idea....
John Strenk is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2011, 08:08 AM   #26
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepHammer View Post

When I built this dash, I made the entire gauge segment of the dash removable...

Backside cut-out...

Threaded PEM inserts pressed into the dash...

Rich

There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
rixcj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2011, 09:32 AM   #27
Shepherd
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rojo78CJ7 View Post
Shepherd, what kind of guages are those?? Could you get a dead on picture of the dash to I can see your layout? I think its beautiful.

they're autometer, I'll try and get pics tomorrow
Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2011, 08:22 PM   #28
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

I also think you are going to need to keep the heater controls in the stock locations. Trying to make custom pull cables that are the right length and connect at the correct angles would be very difficult. So leave them stock, move the speedo up enough to slide a radio under it, install another radio to the right of the first, stack two small gauges above the headlight switch and put the rest above the right hand radio. Since you are not using the speaker location, it gives you a lot of room toward the glove box side. The third radio could go in a center or overhead console, it might fit on the right side but that will crowd that area fast.
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2011, 07:28 AM   #29
boomvader

1984 CJ7 

Here is mine. All gauges will clear the heater/defroster, as will the relocated glove box. As for stereo, I am installing it in a MaxBilt center console. Dash was designed by Double D fab, with input from me as to what and where. I am using AutoMeter gauges.
img_6633.jpg   img_6634.jpg  

Boom's CJ-7 Project (Completed in 2011) http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/bo...oject-1085653/
boomvader is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2011, 07:31 AM   #30
boomvader

1984 CJ7 

Here is a link to Daniel's Double D Fabrication page. This is one of the best values I have experienced for this project. From initial contact to delivery, the guy is top notch.

http://sites.google.com/site/doubledfab/jeep-cj-dashs

Boom's CJ-7 Project (Completed in 2011) http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/bo...oject-1085653/
boomvader is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.