Dash Harness? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Dash Harness?

Jeep Liberty Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontSAVE BIG: Christmas in July Sale!Jeep Liberty Window Regulator

Unread 09-29-2012, 07:35 PM   #1
Daddy_Stew

1981 CJ8 

Dash Harness?

Does anyone have a drawing or picture with each connector labeled? I have looked around the web, in the forums and all that comes up are schematics (which I have) or details on Painless harnesses.

I am looking for an image of an original CJ Dash Harness that has notations of what each connector does along the harness.

CJ - The only one that means something! The rest is just alphabet soup.

O||||||||O
.o|||||||o.
Daddy_Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2012, 08:13 PM   #2
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

I guess its for your 81? There are different harnesses throughout the CJ run. Are your connectors cut off?
If you want to post pictures, I will tell you what the wires are and where they all go.

Here's two quick pics of mine from other threads

1975 CJ-6 304 T15 Dana20 30/44 3.73
1983 CJ-8 258 T5 300 30/44 3.31 Looking for full or half hardtop buy or trade
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 4.6 stroker T5 300 30/44 3.31
1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep project in the works
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
only in a jeep cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2012, 09:33 PM   #3
Daddy_Stew

1981 CJ8 

Ed,

Thank you for the quick reply. Yes, it's for my '81 CJ-8. The PO had butchered the harness so I am replacing it with one from a 84-87 donor, as I am returning the gauges back to OEM from AcuMeter. I am traveling week so cannot provide pics of the entire harness, but I have included a few that I am unsure about. The indicator lights themselves and lighted control indicators I recognize, but I do have questions about the specific colors for the indicators in the Speedo (see below), especially the ones that have multiple wires going to them.

In looking at your second pic, and based on my review of the harness so far, here are some questions:
  1. What is the large black box to the left, that almost looks like a power transformer (haven't seen that on mine)?
  2. What do you mean by "Jump wires at this plug?" What is that for?
  3. What is the plug to the right of that, just below the Headlight Switch?
  4. In the 1st image, you reference a plug for the "Intermittent wiper switch and harness" and also one at the bottom left as "plug for non INT wiper switch or INT harness?" I am converting from a dash Wiper Switch to an Intermittent Switch on the "new" Tilt Column. Which 4-wire flat plug should I use, as I did see more than one.
  5. Do you have any wiring specifics on attaching a Tach and Analog Clock? I am adding both and since they are replica OEM, they just have bare wires and I wasn't sure which wires I should mate them to?
  6. Do you have the wire colors handy on what indicators are for Turn, Hi-Beam, 4WD and Brake Warning lights?
  7. Is the one black wire at the Driver's Left of the harness with a Star Loop used to ground all of the dash gauges or do I need to run separate ground wires? I have added a Ground Buss to use for additional accessories, but wasn't sure if the Dash Harness was grounded already in the connection.

O||||||||O
.o|||||||o.
Unread 09-30-2012, 11:27 AM   #4
Colt44

1983 CJ7 

PM me and I'll send you the Factory Service and Technical Manuals for the '84.
I got them in pdf format some time back, so I can probably e-mail them to you.
They have tons of info as well as wiring diagrams.
YJ Interior, Metal Doors, Hard Top
Colt44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2012, 02:30 PM   #5
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

[QUOTE=Daddy_Stew;14236712]Ed,

Thank you for the quick reply. Yes, it's for my '81 CJ-8. The PO had butchered the harness so I am replacing it with one from a 84-87 donor, as I am returning the gauges back to OEM from AcuMeter. I am traveling week so cannot provide pics of the entire harness, but I have included a few that I am unsure about. The indicator lights themselves and lighted control indicators I recognize, but I do have questions about the specific colors for the indicators in the Speedo (see below), especially the ones that have multiple wires going to them.

In looking at your second pic, and based on my review of the harness so far, here are some questions:
  1. What is the large black box to the left, that almost looks like a power transformer (haven't seen that on mine)?
    Intermittent wiper control
  2. What do you mean by "Jump wires at this plug?" What is that for?
    Neutral Safety Switch. Jumpered for a manual tranny

3. What is the plug to the right of that, just below the Headlight Switch?
    ???
  4. In the 1st image, you reference a plug for the "Intermittent wiper switch and harness" and also one at the bottom left as "plug for non INT wiper switch or INT harness?" I am converting from a dash Wiper Switch to an Intermittent Switch on the "new" Tilt Column. Which 4-wire flat plug should I use, as I did see more than one.

One is for wipers, one is for Driving lights. You are on your own converting to a column mounted delay wiper switch. Not plug and play as I see it.
  5. Do you have any wiring specifics on attaching a Tach and Analog Clock? I am adding both and since they are replica OEM, they just have bare wires and I wasn't sure which wires I should mate them to?

Just the Lights and ground should be connected, the replica tach has a wire that connects to the ignition coil (-) terminal. Also will need a power feed.

Not sure what the replica clock has but should be same as OEM:Power red, Lights: Orange, Ground: Black

6. Do you have the wire colors handy on what indicators are for Turn, Hi-Beam, 4WD and Brake Warning lights?

LTS: Green with trace
    RTS: Green
    High: Grey with trace
    4WD: Red (Power), Orange (T-case)
    Brake: Red (Power), Black (Proportining valve, emergency brake, ignition switch test.)

7. Is the one black wire at the Driver's Left of the harness with a Star Loop used to ground all of the dash gauges or do I need to run separate ground wires? I have added a Ground Buss to use for additional accessories, but wasn't sure if the Dash Harness was grounded already in the connection.

Never hurts to add more grounds.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2012, 10:22 PM   #6
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

Ok
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddy_stew View Post
ed,

thank you for the quick reply. Yes, it's for my '81 cj-8. The po had butchered the harness so i am replacing it with one from a 84-87 donor, as i am returning the gauges back to oem from acumeter. I am traveling week so cannot provide pics of the entire harness, but i have included a few that i am unsure about. The indicator lights themselves and lighted control indicators i recognize, but i do have questions about the specific colors for the indicators in the speedo (see below), especially the ones that have multiple wires going to them.

1. what is the large black box to the left, that almost looks like a power transformer (haven't seen that on mine)?
    they changed the harness around 83 to one with a different wiper plug. This new plug will either plug into a non intermittent switch or a intermittent harness/box that plugs into a intermittent switch, if you compare your 84 harness to your older 81 harness, this will be one of the most obvious differences.
  2. what do you mean by "jump wires at this plug?" what is that for?
    these are pictures i used to help answer other threads. That is a separate connector off of the brake switch wires that makes an excellent tester for a bad switch when you jump those leads. It could be used the kick off cruise control as well. Don't know.
  3. what is the plug to the right of that, just below the headlight switch?
    that is the switch plug on a small harness for oem fog lights. The other end plugs into a fog light plug coming off the light switch plug. Another late cj harness change. The small harness is only for, and come with fog light options.
  4. in the 1st image, you reference a plug for the "intermittent wiper switch and harness" and also one at the bottom left as "plug for non int wiper switch or int harness?" i am converting from a dash wiper switch to an intermittent switch on the "new" tilt column. Which 4-wire flat plug should i use, as i did see more than one.
    you would either need to compare the cj switch pin out to that of the column donor wiper wring or use the donor wiring in the wiper and wiper switch area and make the splice at the wiper motor wiring (actually the harness that leads to it.) either way a pita and i would just keep it cj with a cj type column.
  5. do you have any wiring specifics on attaching a tach and analog clock? I am adding both and since they are replica oem, they just have bare wires and i wasn't sure which wires i should mate them to?
    the factory 4cyl tach plugs into a small squarish 3 pin connector while the 6 cyl tach plugs inline of a main 12 volt feed line. The after market tachs just use a negative input off the coil and tie into the dash lights, etc....should have its own instructions. Oem clock uses keyed plugs into the fuse block. An aftermarket clock can tie into a 12 volt constant at the fuse block and the other clock plug there for the dash light turn on as well....meaning use the same taps.
  6. do you have the wire colors handy on what indicators are for turn, hi-beam, 4wd and brake warning lights?
    https://www.google.com/search?q=jeep...w=1440&bih=739
  7. is the one black wire at the driver's left of the harness with a star loop used to ground all of the dash gauges or do i need to run separate ground wires? I have added a ground buss to use for additional accessories, but wasn't sure if the dash harness was grounded already in the connection.
    while it is a ground, i don't think its the only ground. Keep in mind almost all the gauges or lights, etc ground at the place where they mount (the dash) and return to battery via sheetmetal.

Unread 10-06-2012, 10:13 PM   #7
Daddy_Stew

1981 CJ8 

Hey guys,

I am down to a few plugs I want to confirm. I have labeled these by where they exit the harness, starting from the Fuse Block. My disclaimer is that I do have some troubles with discerning certain colors, so I have tried my best.

I know that John Strenk indicated the one that appears to be Red w/Trace & Pink, jumpered to another is the Neutral Safety Switch. I am curious how that one is leveraged when using a Manual Transmission. I still am looking for the connector that closes the ground for the Parking Brake, so guessing the long one in the Zone 1 picture is it. Is that correct?

The others I am still looking for are where to connect an Analog Clock (Red & Green), 6 cyl. Tach (White, Red & Green). Any guidance is appreciated!

Zone 1

Zone 2

Zone 3

Zone 3

O||||||||O
.o|||||||o.

Last edited by Daddy_Stew; 10-06-2012 at 10:14 PM.. Reason: Typo
Unread 10-06-2012, 11:11 PM   #8
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

In order:
rear harness lights/fuel sender combo plug
Rear dome light (in same rear harness as above)
Parking brake light

Front dome light wire (has a black one too)

I think that the brake light switch wires and there is a short second harness that connects it to the switch.

4 cylinder tach wires.

Unread 10-07-2012, 07:09 AM   #9
Daddy_Stew

1981 CJ8 

Ed,

Thank you for the quick response! I have been so focused on the Dash Harness, that I forgot I disconnected the Rear Harness to start this project. I have a few follow-up questions:
  1. the brake light switch wires and there is a short second harness that connects it to the switch - I see that one plug connects to the switch on the Foot Brake control? If so, where does the 2nd short lead connect?
  2. 4 cylinder tach wires - Since I am adding a aftermarket Tach for the 6cyl, can I use any of these leads or should I just run a direct line to the Coil?

Also, I have found some instructions say to tap into the Negative on the Coil, while others say Positive. Not sure which is right or best. The colors on my Tach are Green, Red & White, so I am guessing these are to the Coil, Ignition Power & Illumination circuits, in that order. Any tips on that?

O||||||||O
.o|||||||o.
Unread 10-07-2012, 11:01 AM   #10
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

1. The second shorter section just hangs there and can be either a test plug or cruise control interrupt
2 I'm not too up on aftermarket tachs But yes green should be coil negative.

Tags
connectors , dash , harness

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.