Dash ground question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Dash ground question

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 01-08-2012, 01:20 PM   #1
usmarine3521
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Dash ground question

Hello all,
So I'm adding some switches and lights to my dash and I'm trying to figure out a good ground. I hav my dash out of the jeep on a bench, and I have grounds to my dash for my lights. Now when I test to see if my lights I put in my dash will work, I get nothing. I heard that I can ground to the dash but the dash grounds to the body. So when I re install my dash will the grounds I have set to my dash work?

usmarine3521 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2012, 01:26 PM   #2
CrazyHorse6
1979 CJ7 

If I understand your question, you have installed the lights and then grounded them to the dash while its on the bench? If that's the case, your dash is not grounded at that point so you'll need another temp bench ground for your dash to test the lights- maybe run a wire with alligator clips from the dash to your battery temporarily. Once the dash is back in, you'll have your ground back. Additionally, you can also run a dedicated ground from the battery to the dash for accessories if you like.

Are you military or former military? Take a look at militaryjeepers.com!
CrazyHorse6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2012, 01:30 PM   #3
KJNewbs
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyHorse6
Yes, you won't have a ground until your dash is reinstalled. For testing, just ground it out to something else for now. Once the dash is back in you can also run a dedicated ground from the battery to the dash for accessories if you like.
What he said. I'm in the process of doing a rewire and have run dedicated grounds to my front (for headlights), my dash (for gauges, etc) and to the rear (for taillights and fuel sender).

This way I know my grounds are good - I've learned that a bad ground is the biggest culprit for electrical issues in a CJ.

1983 lime green CJ7 - 258 with DUI & Weber, Crane cam, 2" lift, MTs w/ BFGs

2010 2-Door, 6-Speed Black JK Sahara - Teraflex 3" Coil Lift with Front Lower and Rear Upper Flex Arms - Bilstein 5100 Shocks -JKS Front Adjustable Track Bar - Teraflex Front Knuckle Gussets - Rock Hard Oil Pan/Engine Skid - Rock Hard Transfer case skid - Rock Hard Evap relocation Kit - Poison Spyder Rocker Knockers - MBRP off-road exhaust - AEV Pintler Wheels - GoodYear MTR/K 35x12.5x17 - Detroit Track Loc Carrier up Front - Yukon 4.88 Gears - Cobra 75 CB with Cool Tech bracket - Die-Tech mirror relocation brackets
KJNewbs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2012, 01:37 PM   #4
usmarine3521
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Thank you both for your input. Helped me understand this better
usmarine3521 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2012, 01:40 PM   #5
CrazyHorse6
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJNewbs View Post
...I've learned that a bad ground is the biggest culprit for electrical issues in a CJ.

Yup!

Are you military or former military? Take a look at militaryjeepers.com!
CrazyHorse6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.