Dan's 1985 CJ7 Rebuild Project - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Dan's 1985 CJ7 Rebuild Project

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 06-03-2013, 01:11 PM   #61
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Is the sand wet or dry, it makes a big difference. Wet/damp sand won't flow. Where is the ATV park? Never mind I see your in Ohio.

Bill

1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2013, 01:25 PM   #62
dsemar
1985 CJ7 

The sand was pretty darned dry. It could probably be a little drier. I'm actually in Texas about 45 mins north of Houston.
dsemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2013, 06:05 AM   #63
nichboy
1985 CJ7 

Hey Dan, any updates on your project?
nichboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2013, 07:05 AM   #64
dsemar
1985 CJ7 

It's funny you asked Nichboy, after spending a week or so here dodging rain and fixing fence and generally taking care of things that were NOT jeep, I finally got some good time in yesterday. I was going to put an update just this morning.

So over the last week or so I found some pretty cool little tools. One of them was this panel clamp. It's really simple in it's design, but it's GENIUS!

So now I didn't have to try to hold two pieces of metal together and get a tack in before they came apart anymore. I'm in love with them!

If you look at the picture above there you'll see the clamp holding the floor pan in place so I can weld it in.

If you look closer at that same picture you'll notice I'm having temperature issues with my welder. I'm spending more time fixing holes that are blowing out than I am welding seams. Right now my welder is set at it's lowest setting possible and feeding wire fast enough to keep it arcing properly. I'm beginning to believe my voltage adjuster isn't working properly. I think I'm going to take the welder apart and ohm out the rheostat pot for the voltage selector and see if it's doing what it should be doing. I've never dealt with that kind of an issue before, so yet again another learning experience as we go!

Even though I've been fighting my welder, I was determined to get that floor pan in yesterday! After a couple of hours of chasing disappearing edges and lots of grinding I finally managed to get that dude in there. I've still got a lot of grinding to do but this is a huge moment for me! I went from never having welded at all to having put in my first body panel ever. That's WITH a welder that's welding way too hot for the application.

As you can tell, there's still a lot of grinding to do, and a lot of hole patching, but as of right now I feel like this puppy is coming together nicely and I'm starting to make progress again!
Unread 06-13-2013, 08:24 AM   #65
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Have you been using copper backers for your welds? They really help to limit blow thru's. That old rusted metal from AMC can be a bltch to weld till you start getting some beads built up that act as heatsinks.
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2013, 08:40 AM   #66
dsemar
1985 CJ7 

I haven't actually. I've heard of it, but not tried it. I tried some aluminum because i had some laying around, but that didn't last very long. Ended up burning through the aluminum.
Unread 06-13-2013, 08:48 AM   #67
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Get yourself a short piece of 3/4" copper pipe and smash it flat. Then either use magnets or clamps to hold it on the backside of the seam to be welded. You can also use the smaller diameter copper smashed flat, which is easier to bend curves in to better fit some contours you might have. You won't burn through copper.
Unread 06-26-2013, 09:19 PM   #68
dsemar
1985 CJ7 

Hey everyone! I guess it's been a while since I posted anything on here. I've not been dormant, I've just tried not to touch my computer for a while! Sometimes being disconnected is just what the soul needs for a bit.

I've been a pretty busy beaver these last few weeks though. We took the kid to Barrel Racing Camp, that was an adventure! Then I started working on the Jeep again. As of my last post I was trying to find a way to weld without spending so much time repairing blown through sections. As I was researching, a thought hit me. Maybe instead of pouring more money and time into the body work, I should use that money and save the time! I started hunting craigslist and I managed to find a YJ tub. It had it's issues, but they were NOTHING compared to what I was looking at doing on the original tub.

So the story on the tub I got is this, a guy was building up his Jeep and went to find a tub just like I was. He happened across the tub at a junk-yard. The junk yard would gladly sell him the tub, but only as parts. They wouldn't allow him to haul it out of the yard as a complete tub. So the geniuses they are, they decided to take a sawzall and cut the tub in half thus making it only "Parts" of a tub they were selling. Shortly thereafter he sold the jeep but didn't sell the tub with it. So it was sitting in his garage taking up space, and he put it on craigslist because the wife was tired of seeing it. I picked it up for $250 and haven't looked back yet. Here's a couple pics of what I got.

Here's the night I got it home:

Here's the next night:

Once I got the front part on there, I realized that the 4" body lift mounts were still attached on the front of the body, that's why the nose of it is lifted up so high making it look wonky.

It pretty much sat that way for a few days till I got more time to work on it.

Obviously Jeeps always seem to inherit a little rust, so I dug pretty hard to find it, and this is what I found!

I finally got some welding time, but I was struggling with my welder. Even being set at it's lowest setting it was blowing through this nice clean sheet metal. Plus it was a bit breezy, so I ended up getting some swiss cheese.

I spent the majority of an afternoon chasing holes I was blowing out as I figured out how to work with the welder I had.

As the evening wore on, the beads started looking better and better. I was figuring out how to make this malfunctioning machine work WITH me!

I got about half way across the body on that first day.

Tonight I finally had some more time to work on it, and so I pulled out the sand blaster, cleaned the paint off and got to the business of sticking metal to metal. It only took about an hour to do the whole other half of the body, and I gotta say, I'm kinda proud of what I was able to accomplish!

They're not the prettiest welds in the world, but they're solid and fully penetrated.

Here's the front side of the weld on the drivers side outer panel:

Here's the inside of that same panel, the back side of that weld:

So all in all, I'm pretty excited! I probably saved myself easily a couple hundred dollars by getting the YJ tub. Plus now I have spare parts if anyone needs them I'll sell them rather affordably. Especially if you live near me.

If anyone reading this has never done the YJ swap I figured I'd take some pictures of the few modifications that I'm going to need to make so that you'll be able to see what's going to need to be done.

As far as the body mounts, you'll have to move two of the body mounting points on the frame. They're fairly easy (I hope) if you've got a welder and a measuring tape. The first one is the very rearmost mounting points. You can either fill the old holes with some material, then re-cut new holes in the proper locations. Or you can just cut from the current holes a couple inches further the right direction to be able to get the mounts in there. They'll basically need to be moved about 1.5 inches outward.

The other two body mounts that need to be moved are the ones that are just in front of the rear axle. It looks like they'll need to be moved forward a few inches, and possibly even make some extensions to pull them outward away from the frame a little more. I'll have exact measurements in a day or so when I start working on that part of it.

So there we go, been pretty busy, but still a long way to go!
Unread 06-27-2013, 08:06 AM   #69
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

You should have waited to weld the tub together and did the mod's to it while it was in smaller, more maneuverable pieces.
On your welds, and far beit for me to claim to be any kind of expert welder. I'm far from that, but I do have some sheetmetal experience. But are you doing tac welds every 3" or 4" and then tacking between those till eventually wind up with a bunch of tack dots? Because it kind of looks like your trying to run continuous beads, which would explain the constant blow thru's. I found that once I have the tacs fairly close they act as heat sinks and I can then lay about 1/2" long beads.
Unread 06-27-2013, 09:57 AM   #70
dsemar
1985 CJ7 

Haha, yeah I thought about the whole maneuverability thing before I welded it, but I was so eager to get something done that welding it was! Besides I have a tractor with a bucket on it so lifting it is easy enough without hurting myself.

As far as the welding, I finally figured out if I tack it, let it cool a second, then tack again just at the edge of the last tack, then let it cool again till I almost can't see it through the welding hood etc it seemed to work the best. That way I was able to walk a bead and not blow through. I was getting pretty proficient by the end of it all.

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
Unread 06-27-2013, 10:39 AM   #71
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

The tractor would be a big help.

Skerr gave me a good tip awhile back. If you watch it cool back to a dark red color, then hit it for just a quick tack again, you can keep placing a few tacks together before letting it cool down to avoid any heat warpage in the surrounding metal. That works well if your in a position that is hard to keep replicating, such as your left hand under your right arm that's between your legs, while standing on your head!
Unread 06-27-2013, 10:58 AM   #72
dsemar
1985 CJ7 

We're you watching me yesterday?!

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
Unread 06-27-2013, 01:12 PM   #73
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

No, I seen you on youtube "the welding acrobat"! Your neighbor must have posted it!
Unread 06-27-2013, 05:40 PM   #74
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

I noticed some of your welding is with the paint still on. You'll get better results if you get rid of anything on the metal first. When you weld the body mounts on the frame grind the dirt and paint off there. Clean metal is what a welder likes, especially a mig welder. Another thing you can do when tack welding is to clip the oxidized wire off between tacks. Yes it's slow and a pain but it takes far less heat to strike an arc with the new wire than it does after it's been welded with. I just keep some side cutters close by for this. Also that oxidized wire from the previous weld is a place where rust can start in the weld.

Nice job on getting the tub together. If you want to make some mounts for the YJ tub look in this section under the "stickies threads" http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj...isting-501837/ and there's allot of info there.
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 07:50 PM   #75
dsemar
1985 CJ7 

Hey folks, i promise i'm still alive and engaged in my build. It's just the texas heat has taken it's toll on me and i decided to put the jeep on a short hold so i can build a workshop and get out of the sun! I'll be back on the jeep as soon as the roof goes on this beast of a structure!
image-597253037.jpg

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.