Dan's 1985 CJ7 Rebuild Project - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Dan's 1985 CJ7 Rebuild Project

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 05-21-2013, 09:10 AM   #46
dsemar
1985 CJ7 

I didn't get a ton of time to play with it yesterday, but i did manage to get my welder working again. Was practicing tack welds and getting my machine dialed in. So far so good.

image-1830941192.jpg   image-1846195294.jpg  
dsemar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2013, 08:19 PM   #47
dsemar
1985 CJ7 

Where does one find "weld through primer"? My local welding shop doesn't carry it. Another close shop said they carry cold-galv paint that works like primer. Is it one and the same?

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
Unread 05-21-2013, 09:04 PM   #48
stamp32
1983 CJ7 

You can order it through Eastwood.
stamp32 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2013, 10:27 AM   #49
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

NAPA should carry it also, but it may not be the zinc weld thru primer. Having zinc in it helps with future corrosion blocking.
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2013, 02:15 PM   #50
dsemar
1985 CJ7 

So i ran around all morning looking for this elusive stuff. Both local welding supply shops didn't have it. One is ordering it in for me. I managed to find some Krylon primer (see pic) but i don't know how well it will hold up to the heat of welding. What are your thoughts?
image-819345510.jpg  
Unread 05-22-2013, 10:36 PM   #51
dsemar
1985 CJ7 

Alright, this "Domestic Life" thing has been getting in the way of me working on my Jeep all week. That and the rain! Anyways, today I got some wrench time. Really I should call it Hammer Time (cue cheesy song clip). I went out and bought some body hammers and dollies. I spend most of the afternoon straightening out the parts of the firewall that I had boogered up when I was cutting out the driver's side floorpan with the air hammer. I'm starting to think that maybe I should try drilling all the spot welds to pull the next panel to see if that comes apart a little cleaner.

Anyways, let's get to the pics! While I was cutting the original pan out, I measured a bit wrong and currently I've got about a 1/2-3/4 inch gap to fill now. Here's a pic of what I am gonna have to fix.

When I laid the new floor pan in to mark it all, I didn't realize that it actually went all the way THROUGH the firewall. so the flange that I thought was there and meant to weld to the existing floor was ACTUALLY meant to go all the way through just like the original factory pan did as you can see in the pic here.

Also today I decided to tackle getting the body squared back up from the day I removed the tub. If you'll recall I tweaked it and bent the door frames quite a bit in the process. Today I took my high lift jack and a couple wood blocks and made my own rig to push the top cowl back out until I thought it was right again.

Here's a before pic of what it looked like after I bent it:

Here's an after pic:

If someone gets a chance, could you go out and take a picture of your door frames from the same angle so I have something to compare to? I'm thinking the driver's side may need to pivot out a bit more in the corner now that I'm looking at the pictures of it.

Again on the passenger side before:

After:

All in all I feel like I've accomplished quite a bit today, and I'm back on track. I was pretty darned discouraged when the door frames got bent, those were going to be hard to find replacements for and I was feeling like fixing them was quite a bit over my head in the body work world. It turned out to be easier than I thought.

Hopefully this weekend I'll be picking up the materials to build a 40x40 covered workshop to continue this project in, so I may not get much wrenching done while I'm building the new shop, but that should only take a few days.

In case you're wondering what kind of deadbeat I am to be so blessed as to get this much wrench time, I'm actually off work for the next 2 months. I work for the Professional Bull Riders and we're on our summer break right now. So I get to hang out at home with the family and wrench to my heart's content when I don't have to worry about being a Dad or Husband for a bit.
Unread 05-23-2013, 09:49 AM   #52
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

They look pretty good... from here! How are your measurements comparing from left side to right side? Try taking your doors and see how the outline of the door fits to the opening outline. Since this will be the crucial area of fit. The hinges are slightly adjustable and the windshield can be. The roof has a bit of a gap to allow a bit of variance.
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2013, 10:17 AM   #53
dsemar
1985 CJ7 

I measured at the top of the door frame openings in the same spot on both sides and ended up within 1/2" of each other. I'm gonna buy some 3/4" angle iron and weld in bracing material, but I have to wait to do that until after I replace the top cowl assembly so I'm not wasting time bracing to something that's not going to be the final piece anyways. My firewall is square to the seat mounting bolts again, so I think I'm good once I get the floor pan in. I just have to go pick up some extra sheet metal and cut strips of it to fill the gap I ended up with from my oopsie.

Unread 05-24-2013, 12:26 AM   #54
dsemar
1985 CJ7 

Today I decided to tackle the top cowl removal. I thought I'd try something different from what I've been doing though. Instead of just blasting through seams with an air hammer, this time I decided to drill out the spot welds first. I gotta tell ya, it made the removal of the old one SUPER easy! I still had to use the air hammer, but the amount of damage I had to do to get the top cowl out was WAY less than what I did when removing the old floor pan! Lesson learned, drill those tack welds and it'll be a lot easier to pull panels.

Here's a couple pics of the replacement cowl I'm gonna be putting on laid in place.

Unread 05-24-2013, 07:05 AM   #55
nichboy
1985 CJ7 

Dan, was the cowl purchased from quadtratec? How did it line up, perfect match to the original?
nichboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2013, 09:51 AM   #56
dsemar
1985 CJ7 

It looks like it will fit pretty well. If you look closely at the pics you'll notice it isn't fitting in the radiuses exactly. I'm gonna have to do a little adjusting but it shouldn't be too bad. As far as where it came from, i'm not sure. It looks like the Omix panel. I'll look through my catalogs and see if I can find a match to it.
Unread 05-29-2013, 01:31 PM   #57
dsemar
1985 CJ7 

This weekend I had a ball! I didn't work on the Jeep as much as anticipated, but I got enough done that I feel like I really accomplished something. A buddy of mine came up from our home town and spent the weekend up here so we basically tinkered around on the jeep a bit, and then went to the ATV park for an afternoon. Good times for sure. This ATV park is only about 10 minutes from my place.

It was all good till my buddy swamped it and hydro-locked the engine.

That pretty much ended the day. We got it running again, hauled it home, and went through a couple oil changes. He'll be checking all his fluids this week to make sure the differentials are good and whatnot, and we're already planning another trip out there in about a month.

As far as the Jeep, I decided instead of spending the $150 to get the two windshield pillar supports I would try to fabricate them myself.

So I took some of this:

one of these:

and a welder. With all that me and my buddy put together one of these:

I'm pretty proud of our accomplishment, it looks like it will match right up but I won't know for sure till I get the new side skins in.

Also my sand blaster showed up, so as soon as I collect up some sand from our arena I'll try it out.

In case you're wondering, here's what I'm working with as far as a workshop. It's not much, but hopefully I can get the new building put up in the near future here.

yeah, my yard is a mess, but it's an organized mess. I know JUST where everything is supposed to be.
Unread 05-31-2013, 12:51 AM   #58
dsemar
1985 CJ7 

This afternoon I finally managed to get the sand blaster going. I'm pretty impressed with it! It's not running 100% the way I think it should but man it can really take some material off! Right now it's surging. It'll go from dumping a ton of sand and little air pressure, to thinning out and working really well, to no sand coming out at all. If I give it a bit of a shake it starts the process all over again. I'm guessing I have some pretty fine sand. It's definitely smaller than playground sand. Maybe I shouldn't open the sand valve so far? Try to regulate it's flow a little bit? The manual says to ALWAYS open the sand valve up 100% but I don't know. Something in my brain says that's what needs to be regulated a bit. What are your thoughts?

Unread 06-03-2013, 12:37 PM   #59
nichboy
1985 CJ7 

Hey Dan, what size compressor are you using?
nichboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2013, 12:45 PM   #60
dsemar
1985 CJ7 

I'm running an 80 gallon with a 5 hp 220v motor on it. It flows pretty good. As long as the motor is running it will maintain around 95-100psi in the blaster.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.