Dan's 1985 CJ7 Rebuild Project - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Dan's 1985 CJ7 Rebuild Project

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 05-08-2013, 01:19 PM   #16
DYontheForum
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade82 View Post
Classic Enterprises sells the inner and outer supports as well as the transverse support and toeboards. They have almost all the parts and pieces for the Jeep.
Plus they are made in the USA!

DYontheForum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 01:49 PM   #17
dsemar
1985 CJ7 

Yes made in the USA is always a bonus. I'll always shop American before foreign. As far as the repair goes it doesn't look complicated it just looks very time-consuming and tedious. I've been watching lots of YouTube videos since I got to Vegas just to see what I'm getting myself into.
dsemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 04:32 PM   #18
dsemar
1985 CJ7 

Wow Renegade, I just read through all 16 pages of your resto thread! You sir are my hero!!!
Unread 05-08-2013, 08:55 PM   #19
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samabramson View Post
Thank you, very complicated replacement i'm guessing?
Sorry, I missed this earlier. The inner and outer support aren't as bad as the traverse support would be, but theres a bunch of spot welds to cut out, and you run the risk of uncovering even more damage. Plus theres the bolt holes re-alignment issue. I only had to repair part of mine so I just bent some metal to work.

dsemar - Thanks for the compliment. But if your going to make me wear some costume and cape I don't want the job!
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 10:02 PM   #20
dsemar
1985 CJ7 

But it's just a small cape! And no flowers or poodles on it or anything......I think. Once I get it back from my 5 year old I'll let ya know for sure!
Unread 05-09-2013, 11:52 PM   #21
dsemar
1985 CJ7 

So while I'm here in Vegas, we had a down day. I know it's not pictures of wheeling, but me and a couple of the guys went out climbing. In the spirit of forum posting, I thought it would be fun to post some pics.

Yeah, that's me playing spider monkey on the last pic there!
Unread 05-10-2013, 09:44 AM   #22
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Looks like your climbing a giant piece of burnt/charred wood!
Unread 05-14-2013, 10:10 AM   #23
dsemar
1985 CJ7 

Ok, so Vegas was fun. But work is always fun. I got to come home to quite a scare, so that made things even more interesting. Right before show on Saturday night, I get a call from my wife saying that it sounded like a war zone at my house! They were in the house, and all of a sudden loud popping like shotguns going off were all through the house. She looked at one of the sources of the sound and it was the power sockets on the walls! She said huge blue sparks were shooting out of them! So she gets the breakers turned off, and I catch the red-eye home Saturday night so I can see how bad off we are. She said the house smelled like burning electronics, so I was pretty concerned. During the night while I'm gone, the power company comes out, and it turns out the story is that a transformer upstream of us exploded catching the woods on fire, and that's what created the crazy surging in our house. So I got home fearing the worst, that my TV is toast! LOL. Once I go through the house and unplug EVERYTHING, I start bringing breakers back online (power company said we were good to go and I metered out good numbers at my master breaker). No pops, nothing scary as I bring things back online. Then I start testing the appliances. I go to the TV stand, and the TV works miraculously, but I lost my surround sound receiver and the sattelite receiver. On to the kitchen, and the power supply to my DSL modem is over heating tripping the GFI. Plug in the coffee maker, and I swear I heard it scream in pain, and then I watched it's ghost come right out! So I quickly unplugged it and made sure it wasn't going to continue to smoke up the house, then hauled it to the trash. Other than that, I think short of a few light bulbs everything else survived! One major crisis averted that's for sure!
Unread 05-14-2013, 10:44 AM   #24
dsemar
1985 CJ7 

Now back to the Jeep stuff! The real reason we all come here!

So after all the craziness, yesterday I started back up on the Jeep after I got caught up on the much needed sleep I missed out on getting home. First things first, I got in the new floor pans, and I gotta tell ya, I'm VERY impressed! They are nice thick 18 gauge steel, and they look to have all the holes drilled properly.They came painted in what looks to be a decent coating of black primer.

So first thing's first, I went and opened up the driver's side floorboard area to fit that panel (it was the most damaged side).

I especially like that there was enough material in the new pan to go through the firewall!

So as you can tell, it's looking pretty good. I decided to pull the fender so that I could get the the firewall on the driver's side a little easier. Once I got the fender off, I found more rust. At this point, I was expecting a lot of rust in the front end of this Jeep, so even though I was disappointed, I wasn't phased much by it.

Once I saw that the edges of the firewall took such a beating by the rust, I decided that I would go ahead and pull the body tub and work on it without having to work around an engine. Plus it'll give me a chance to get rid of the computer stuff and go back to the way it shoulda been built to begin with. I'll get to work on the frame (hopefully it's still solid) without a body getting in the way also.

So first thing's first, I pulled the top, then I pulled the windshield and frame. After that, the steering column. Once I got the steering column out, it was time to do the one thing I actually was scared of! pulling the dash and all it's crazy wiring!

So I decided I would take pictures of all the wiring connections before I started the massive undertaking of disconnecting all of them.

After taking the pics, I was thinking, there's gotta be an easier way to do this! so I started digging around and found that if I pulled the steering column support brackets and disconnected the firewall wiring bulkhead, the WHOLE dash would come out in one piece WITH ALL THE WIRING ATTACHED! Crisis averted. I know I'll have to pull the wiring still, but at least I don't have to do it right now in the middle of the major disassembly. I can dedicate a day or two to the project so I can document it properly so it goes back together easily.

So now the dash is out of the way, and it's time to get the climate control stuff out.

First I pulled out the remaining pedals which incidentally are bolted directly to the brake booster. make sure you have a safe place to hang the booster so you don't kink your brake lines. Either that or disconnect them and just pull the booster completely out!

Next up I pulled the lower plenum. For those not sure what that is, it's the part with the squirrel cage blower motor in it. It's got 4 bolts hiding on the firewall that are near impossible to see unless you're really looking for them! One of them is DIRECTLY behind the valve cover on the engine, so LOTS of penetrating oil, a tiny box end hand wrench, and LOTS of time will get that one to come loose. Make sure you disconnect your two heater core hoses, and the small drain hose at the bottom. There's also one sensor wire I found plugged into the unit from the firewall side. It took a little coaxing, but it came out.

Before

After

About that time I started losing light, so I had to pack up the tools and parts and put them in the shop. I was confused about how to remove the upper plenum, so I left it for the night.

It's amazing how quickly this Jeep is coming apart! I'm hoping to have the body on saw-horses tomorrow or whenever the next day I get a chance to work on it is.

Here's a pic of the before disassembly:

Here's an after just to see how far it's come:

There's lots of work yet to be done, but I've got ALL SUMMER off to goof with it! I'm hoping by the end of the summer it'll be back together and running down the road again!
Unread 05-14-2013, 12:40 PM   #25
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Looking good and flyin' along. The upper portion of the ductwork should have 4 or 6 screws outside under the cowl grill / vent once it's removed. Plus the drain hose from it. Theres a couple more screws but I don't recall exactly where.
Unread 05-14-2013, 02:32 PM   #26
nichboy
1985 CJ7 

Dan, Does that new front drivers side panel go all the way back and 90 up with a lip on the bed.
In other words does it cover where the roll bar mounts behind the seat? I like what i'm seeing, the
panels i ordered just cover the floor area.
nichboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2013, 03:25 PM   #27
dsemar
1985 CJ7 

These floor pans go all the way to the 90 but don't turn up. I did buy that piece as well though. It was another couple dollars and I had some rust to repair in the step right around the roll bar mounts anyways. That's the only piece I'm still waiting on from Quadratec. As soon as I get it in I'll lay it all out again and take another picture. The only things I'm gonna need now are the two door frame skins, and the passenger fender now. The fender I may be able to repair with some scrap material though. I won't really know till I get into it a little more.

On a side note, now that I've decided to pull the body completely off, I've decided I want to get a sand blaster so I can start blasting the rust away while it's all easily accessible. If anyone knows of a place I can get my hands on one fairly cheap let me know!

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
Unread 05-14-2013, 05:24 PM   #28
nichboy
1985 CJ7 

That piece that turns up at the 90, what is it called?
Thanks Dan.
nichboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2013, 06:42 PM   #29
firecap1962
1983 CJ7 

Im going to follow you on this one. My floors are shot so i will be doing the same to mine. Post plenty of pics!
firecap1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2013, 07:17 PM   #30
dsemar
1985 CJ7 

On Quadratec it's called the Step Brace. I bought this one here:

http://www.quadratec.com/products/22509_03_07.htm

Like I said it still hasn't shown up yet. I'll let you know how it looks once I get it in.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.