Now back to the Jeep stuff! The real reason we all come here!
So after all the craziness, yesterday I started back up on the Jeep after I got caught up on the much needed sleep I missed out on getting home. First things first, I got in the new floor pans, and I gotta tell ya, I'm VERY impressed! They are nice thick 18 gauge steel, and they look to have all the holes drilled properly.They came painted in what looks to be a decent coating of black primer.
So first thing's first, I went and opened up the driver's side floorboard area to fit that panel (it was the most damaged side).
I especially like that there was enough material in the new pan to go through the firewall!
So as you can tell, it's looking pretty good. I decided to pull the fender so that I could get the the firewall on the driver's side a little easier. Once I got the fender off, I found more rust. At this point, I was expecting a lot of rust in the front end of this Jeep, so even though I was disappointed, I wasn't phased much by it.
Once I saw that the edges of the firewall took such a beating by the rust, I decided that I would go ahead and pull the body tub and work on it without having to work around an engine. Plus it'll give me a chance to get rid of the computer stuff and go back to the way it shoulda been built to begin with. I'll get to work on the frame (hopefully it's still solid) without a body getting in the way also.
So first thing's first, I pulled the top, then I pulled the windshield and frame. After that, the steering column. Once I got the steering column out, it was time to do the one thing I actually was scared of! pulling the dash and all it's crazy wiring!
So I decided I would take pictures of all the wiring connections before I started the massive undertaking of disconnecting all of them.
After taking the pics, I was thinking, there's gotta be an easier way to do this! so I started digging around and found that if I pulled the steering column support brackets and disconnected the firewall wiring bulkhead, the WHOLE dash would come out in one piece WITH ALL THE WIRING ATTACHED! Crisis averted. I know I'll have to pull the wiring still, but at least I don't have to do it right now in the middle of the major disassembly. I can dedicate a day or two to the project so I can document it properly so it goes back together easily.
So now the dash is out of the way, and it's time to get the climate control stuff out.
First I pulled out the remaining pedals which incidentally are bolted directly to the brake booster. make sure you have a safe place to hang the booster so you don't kink your brake lines. Either that or disconnect them and just pull the booster completely out!
Next up I pulled the lower plenum. For those not sure what that is, it's the part with the squirrel cage blower motor in it. It's got 4 bolts hiding on the firewall that are near impossible to see unless you're really looking for them! One of them is DIRECTLY behind the valve cover on the engine, so LOTS of penetrating oil, a tiny box end hand wrench, and LOTS of time will get that one to come loose. Make sure you disconnect your two heater core hoses, and the small drain hose at the bottom. There's also one sensor wire I found plugged into the unit from the firewall side. It took a little coaxing, but it came out.
About that time I started losing light, so I had to pack up the tools and parts and put them in the shop. I was confused about how to remove the upper plenum, so I left it for the night.
It's amazing how quickly this Jeep is coming apart! I'm hoping to have the body on saw-horses tomorrow or whenever the next day I get a chance to work on it is.
Here's a pic of the before disassembly:
Here's an after just to see how far it's come:
There's lots of work yet to be done, but I've got ALL SUMMER off to goof with it! I'm hoping by the end of the summer it'll be back together and running down the road again!