Danas to 35s? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Danas to 35s?

We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplieCustom Axle Work at CCORJEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFF

Unread 03-06-2013, 08:05 AM   #1
Jclilk
2012 JK Wrangler 

Danas to 35s?

Hello guys, Im having a little set back on buying my new tires for my CJ7. I wanna buy the BF Goodrich All Terrain or Mud Terrain but im so undecided on that part. But the thing that is ticking me is that i wanna go up from 33s to 35s ive got 15in rims. so i wanna my question is would my stock danas be injured if i got up to 35s? the jeep has a stock dana 44 in the back and 30 in the front

Jclilk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2013, 08:31 AM   #2
twinstickd20
Cause 2 is better than 1

1979 CJ7 

Depends on your plans. I have had 35s on mine for about two years and wheel it hard 3 or 4 times a year.
Unread 03-06-2013, 08:36 AM   #3
CSP

Your rear axle will be fine. The front will be fine with 35s also as long as you're not abusing it. Don't stomp down on the skinny pedal with the steering turned tightly one direction or the other.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2013, 08:48 AM   #4
twinstickd20
Cause 2 is better than 1

1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP
Don't stomp down on the skinny pedal with the steering turned tightly one direction or the other.
Yeah they don't tend to like that too well
Unread 03-06-2013, 11:23 AM   #5
ColdSteel85
1982 CJ7 

I'm running 37.5x 13.5 on an AMC 20 and D30. Have had no problems besides I haven't changed ring and pinion yet and have no power in 4th or 5th gear! Laugh! If you go to 35's and you haven't already swapped out factory gears you may look into that.
ColdSteel85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2013, 06:53 PM   #6
Jclilk
2012 JK Wrangler 

Yeah i dont go mudding hard like all i would do is put it off road (grass, and rocks) nothing serious maybe 4 times a year at most.
Also but i do have stock gears from factory it wouldnt matter?
Unread 03-06-2013, 07:12 PM   #7
ColdSteel85
1982 CJ7 

Depending what your factory gears are? You may run into some power issues on the top end. With 37's when I put it in 4th gear RPMs drop to around 1200 and there is no pull at all. Right now I mainly cruise around town and don't need much more than 3rd gear anyhow. There are a lot of threads and info on this site and the net to help you decide and recommendations for ring and pinion relate to tire size related to application of vehicle. There is also literature that will explain how you can figure your current/factory gear ratio if you don't already know. Hope this helps. I'm know expert, still learning myself but have been reading a ton and own my second CJ now. Good Luck!
ColdSteel85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2013, 07:54 PM   #8
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

35s with no gearing changes will make it a very poor drive on highway or off. Gutless, lugging, guzzling lump of rust....... just a few words you may be muttering each time you go for a drive.

Lots of info on here about what you need to do to fit 35s properly. $k s.

Have you got the lift organised? And the body mods for clearance, brake mods for stopping, steering mods, engine mods to drive it etc?

Unless you are willing to commit to all the expense you may find on a late model emissions equippped 258 that 31" tyres are all you can fit. They look very nice on 31" tyres and drive well.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2013, 07:59 PM   #9
brownbagg
1930 MK Compass 

your 44 and 30 are about the best and only factory option, not talking about custom maded or modified. there are thousands of jeeps running around with 35, it be fine
brownbagg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2013, 09:47 PM   #10
StringFellow
1985 CJ7 

If you find a set of 35" BF Goodrich ALL TERRAIN's let me know. I called every tire shop from New York to Los Angeles and that size is on a "temporary manufacturing stop" whatever that means. To me it meant I couldn't buy a set for my CJ. Bummer because its a great tire. I ended up buying a set of 35x12.5x15 Falkens from a local shop. You'll need to re-gear if you ever want to use fifth gear on the highway again though.
Unread 03-06-2013, 09:51 PM   #11
CoryA
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg
your 44 and 30 are about the best and only factory option, not talking about custom maded or modified. there are thousands of jeeps running around with 35, it be fine
What he said

Quote:
Originally Posted by BagusJeep
35s with no gearing changes will make it a very poor drive on highway or off. Gutless, lugging, guzzling lump of rust....... just a few words you may be muttering each time you go for a drive.

Lots of info on here about what you need to do to fit 35s properly. $k s.

Have you got the lift organised? And the body mods for clearance, brake mods for stopping, steering mods, engine mods to drive it etc?

Unless you are willing to commit to all the expense you may find on a late model emissions equippped 258 that 31" tyres are all you can fit. They look very nice on 31" tyres and drive well.

And yes it's not ideal to put 35s on without a regear but I put 35s on one of my jeeps with a stock 258 and stock brakes and a crappy 4" rouch country lift its not that bad I have 4.88 and some 1 piece axles in the garage waiting to go in but the stock setup has worked fine for the past 5 years everyone on this forum is going to suggest bigger and better you can only know from your experience good luck and expect some hiccups in the steering and power area
CoryA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2013, 09:55 PM   #12
Jclilk
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdSteel85 View Post
Depending what your factory gears are? You may run into some power issues on the top end. With 37's when I put it in 4th gear RPMs drop to around 1200 and there is no pull at all. Right now I mainly cruise around town and don't need much more than 3rd gear anyhow. There are a lot of threads and info on this site and the net to help you decide and recommendations for ring and pinion relate to tire size related to application of vehicle. There is also literature that will explain how you can figure your current/factory gear ratio if you don't already know. Hope this helps. I'm know expert, still learning myself but have been reading a ton and own my second CJ now. Good Luck!
well i cant find any where that tells me the gear ratio on my inline 6 258 T5 Transmission with amc 30 infront and dana 44 in the back
Unread 03-06-2013, 09:57 PM   #13
Jclilk
2012 JK Wrangler 

I guess ima stay with 33x12.5x15 than less money :>
Unread 03-06-2013, 10:01 PM   #14
Jclilk
2012 JK Wrangler 

ive got a 4inch lift on mine but i dont know the brand of lift the last owner didnt remember SMH!! but it runs smooth for a cj hahaha, i never go on highways with my CJ and im always crusing on 4th gear 45-50mph never exceeding 55 so i dont abuse my CJ (only when i get road range cause of female drivers or i do go on the highway wich i go up to 60-65 on 5th but thats rare.) thats why i thinking of 35 tires
Unread 03-06-2013, 10:11 PM   #15
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jclilk View Post
well i cant find any where that tells me the gear ratio on my inline 6 258 T5 Transmission with amc 30 infront and dana 44 in the back
T5 box probably has:
4.03:1, 2.37:1, 1:50:1, 1.00:1, .86:1, Rev 3.76:1

A Dana 44 could have a number of ratios from the factory. You could crawl under to read the tag on the diff, raise the wheels and rotate the driveshaft or take off the cover and count teeth.
axle-ratios.jpg  

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
dana , gear ratio , tire

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.