Dana 44 Swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Dana 44 Swap

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!Gear Installs at CCOR SpecialWe have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 02-12-2002, 11:07 PM   #1
CJ7Jeff

Dana 44 Swap

Okay, so my Jeep has been at my buddy's shop for almost three months now. I took it in to get the gears changed in the model 20 and the Dana 30 that I had from the factory('85 CJ-7). When he went to change the gears in the rear, he noticed that it was spinning the bearing races in the housing. So essentially it was bad. Well, I talked myself into swapping in a Dana 44 in the rear. He pulled the front to check it out because there was a lot of water in it, and while he had it out he talked me into taking the Dana 44 that he had sitting there, cut to CJ width. So now I am getting Dana 44's front and rear. Sound's good right? No. So that was at the beginning of December. Now here it is February 12 and he calls and says it is finally ready. So I go to pick it up. I drive it home and notice a loud growling noise from the rear. Well, I called him and he told me to bring it back. We took it for a drive and while we were driving the growling(almost a bass note, more of a grumbling I guess. Heck you guys know how hard it is to describe noises!) got worse and turned into a vibration. Well that got worse and so I had to leave it with him again. No telling when it will get done. So he thinks that the drive shaft is a little short (an inch or less) and that could be causing the vibration. When I got underneath it I noticed that the driveshaft was offset to the passenger side about an inch. He says that they do all of their 44's like that so that the axles will be the same length. I didn't think that an inch offset would hurt it but I don't really know. We checked the tires, drums and re-set the driveshaft thinking it might be out of phase. None of that worked. He said tomorrow he will pull hte rear driveshaft and drive it with the front to see if that eliminates the problem. Anyone have any ideas what the vibration might be?

Thanks for staying with me. Sorry for the long post. I haven't had my Jeep in a while and it is starting to get to me. The only stinkin' thing I don't know anything about is differentials. Next time I think I might take a crash course.

Unread 02-13-2002, 02:09 AM   #2
bluebogger

It seems odd but I would'nt think an inch offset could cause that. No offense, but how many times has this guy done this? First thing comes to my mind is too much angle on on eof your u-jouints.
bluebogger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2002, 08:54 AM   #3
CJ7Jeff

He has done this quite a bit. Has been operating his own shop for a few years. Before that he spent several years at Sam's offroad in Tulsa. I will ask him about that though. Thanks for pointing that out.
Unread 02-16-2002, 08:42 PM   #4
junger

Put it up on some jack stands and run it in 2wd... should be able to clearly see whats happening then...

-Josh
junger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.