Dana 44 help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Dana 44 help

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueXHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 02-18-2010, 07:32 PM   #1
gotCLAY
1984 CJ7 

Dana 44 help

I have a dana 44 rear in my 84 cj7. The problem is I need a new outer bearing and seal. I bought it for a junk yard and they welded new perches on it. it is stock width for a cj so It might have been cut down or it is from a 86 cj and the P.O did a S.O.A and thats way the had to put new perches on. When I go to the parts store the parts they are trying to sell me are not the right ones And I cant find any #s on the 44 except 316 on the bottom of the housing. any body have an exploded view of a dana 44 rear or know a way to find out what kind it is or what it came out off?

Unread 02-18-2010, 07:45 PM   #2
jeepdaddy2000
Web Wheeler

1971 CJ5 

If you are looking to replace the bearing and seal, both will have a number on them. Get it and have your parts man cross reference them.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2010, 07:37 AM   #3
Happy Joe
1985 CJ7 

Instead of going to checker or autozone, go to Napa , or a bearing and seal dealer give them the numbers from the bearing and race that is on the axle and they will be able to take care of you.

The axle that you have is likely from a late 86 CJ as this is the only stock iron cased large lug pattern D44 axle that is the correct width to match your wide track front. Other clues; it will have single piece flanged axles and the correct 5 on 5 1/2" bolt pattern. If it is significantly wider or narrower than your wide track front, or has link mounts cast into the center section, or an aluminum center section, then it most likely is not from an 86 CJ.

Enjoy!

Carburetors became obsolete during the last century... do what ever it takes to get fuel injection...It makes bigger grins off road.
Happy Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2010, 08:24 AM   #4
CSP

Yep the existing bearing and seal will have part numbers on them that can be used for cross reference.

The source vehicle of the axle can be identified via the BOM (bill of materials) number that's on the rear of the passenger side tube just to the right of the diff cover. The picture below shows where to look.

You can look up the number here: Dana Bill of Material Number or google "Dana bill of materials" to come up with a host of sites where your number can be looked up.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2010, 03:49 PM   #5
gotCLAY
1984 CJ7 

Ok so I found out that it is a 86 rear 44. I pulled it apart today. going to take it with me to napa so I can get the right parts. my next question is what kind of tool do you need to get the bearing cup out of the housing. And how much should it cost to have the ring pressed off so i can change the bearing and seal.
Unread 02-19-2010, 04:25 PM   #6
foggybottombob
1984 CJ7 

I'm not sure what you mean by "have the ring pressed off". You originally said "outer bearing and seal". If you take off the bearing caps (be sure to keep their orientation marked so you put them back the same way). Then you can pry the differential out of the housing with a couple of pry bars. Take off the pinion nut and the pinion will almost fall out. Pry out the pinion seal and the outer pinion bearing will be just sitting there in the back of the housing. To change the inner pinion bearing you would have to have that bearing pressed off the pinion. It takes a 10 ton or so press to do that.

Typically a brass drift (rod) is used to drive the bearing races out by hitting the rod against the back of the race (on the lip sticking out from the housing). Just go around the race in a circle and bang it out.
foggybottombob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2010, 04:34 PM   #7
gotCLAY
1984 CJ7 

The axle bearings are whats shot. On the axle shaft from outside in I have a retainer, seal, bearing, then a bearing retainer ring that is pressed on the shaft. then right inside the housing is a bearing cup.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.